Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2003 7:32:24 PM EDT
Everyone,

Is there an age minimum for selling your personal handgun to another person?  I know you have to be 21 to buy from a FFL, but how about from another person.  I did find this information on the Law Enforcement Act of 1994.

The Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994

Bans juvenile possession of a handgun or handgun ammunition, with limited exceptions, and makes it a crime to sell or give a handgun to anyone 18 or younger.
======================================
Does this mean that a person can sell his/her private handgun to someone who is 19 years old?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think there's any age restrictions on SELLING a handgun.... but since so many laws restrict POSESSION of a handgun by a minor, or those under 21, you should probably not consider buying a handgun from someone under 21, nor selling one to someone under 21.

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:35:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Everyone,

Is there an age minimum for selling your personal handgun to another person?  I know you have to be 21 to buy from a FFL, but how about from another person.  I did find this information on the Law Enforcement Act of 1994.

Bans juvenile possession of a handgun or handgun ammunition, with limited exceptions, and makes it a crime to sell or give a handgun to anyone 18 or younger.
Does this mean that a person can sell his/her private handgun to someone who is 19 years old?

Stay away from this situation....stay very far away!  It's not worth the risk to you or the seller.

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Everyone,

Stay away from this situation....stay very far away!  It's not worth the risk to you or the seller.

Why should this citizen who among other things is ATTEMPTING to be law abiding by researching the issue beforehand - avoid the concept of thinning out their collection of firearms on the basis of arbitrary "risk" that you havent seemed to elaborate on? Sounds like liberal hysteria at its finest.

What I'm trying to say here is that every state has different posession laws, ownership guidelines, et al. Some states have regulations on private transfers as well.

The "18/21" law as far as dealer sales is concerened is generally NOT a good guideline to gauge private transfers by as each state is set up differently.

Check your state legislature's website and research the issue yourself. Often times a state sets a guideline on the minnimum legal age for POSESSION of a FIREARM (some can get specific on types of firearms) - and yet the federal guideline that applies to dealers is a different standard.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I am also curious about this.

I will be 21 December 8th.  PA law says to purchase from an FFL one must be 21 (handguns).  to own a handgun in Pa is 18.  This means that if my father bought me a gun and gave it to me, that would be swell.  well, parents divorced, so that's not happening.

I have two firearms on hold (an AR15.com member who does FFL and NFA stuff much cheaper than store ffls nearby).  I am waiting until I am 21 to pick up the guns (Kel-Tec p32 and Walther p22).  Now I guess in my situation, I am purchasing from an FFL, so I have to wait, but if I was buying from another ar15.commer, or another person, I believe there is no law restricting person to person sale in PA/on the books...  =)

www.packing.org has good info on pistol ownership laws... =)  check out your state and read the quoted state laws part(s)

Ben
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey, thanks for the link to packing.org.  I found the laws for Ohio.  It says that I cannot knowingly sell a handgun to anyone between 18 and 21 unless they are a police officer.

http://www.firearmslawcenter.org/content/ohio.asp#MinimumAgetoPurchasePossess

That answers that question.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top