Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:33:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll give you my input.  Ported barrel?  Why?

Just makes it louder when you shoot it.  Might keep down recoil (it is only a 9mm not a .500), but the extra blast to my sinus cavities is not worth it.

Price sounds fine.

TRG
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#2]
$300 for a used Smith nine is about the going rate, tho I too question the need for a ported barrel.  Not sure I've ever seen one on a nine, let alone a Smith.  Shot a friend's Taurus 45 with a  ported barrel once.  It dampened recoil and muzzle flip noticably, but also fired a bunch of crud into the slide.  Overall not sure it was worth the effort.  On a 44 mag, 454 Casull, something on those lines, sure.  For a nine?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#3]
That would depend on if the "ports" were professionally done or someone merely drilled a few holes in it.
As pointed out, the slide could foul up under use and become a nightmare to clean, even with the quality job.
Bottom line, if it's a hack job, walk away.
Sure, another barrel would make it usable, if you could live with the "ports" in the slide and the added expense of the new barrel.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#4]
i added some pics.the port job looks professional to me,i ran 2 magazines through it and it jammed 1 time.the blast from the ports seems to hit right in the face.i think i will pass on this one .also looking at a firestorm 45 govt. model for $250 or $275 are they accurate/dependable? thanks for any input guys
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:05:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Pass on the 5904, 1 jam in only 2 mags amongst other things.
As far as the Firestorm goes, I think its a non standard pattern 1911 "style" and with it's low price is a clue as to how it works.
Maybe you can get to try it out if your heart is really set on it.
A few bucks more can get you into a Springfield and a much better chance of it working, plus standard parts. Just my opinion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top