Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2003 4:32:27 PM EDT
I bought an officers 1911.  I'm wondering now if I should have purchased a snubbie or something smaller.  I can hide the gun easily under my shirt IWB @4:00, but it's not very comfortable to sit down.  It's not very comfortable to drive.  I picked up a $10 Uncle Mikes IWB open top holster just to try it.  That's what I've been experimenting with.  Would a different holster make a big difference?  Is there a better way to carry?  I'm 6', 190, 36" waist.
Help?
Jim
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Why?  Is it made out of depleted uranium.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#2]
you'd be surprised what a good holster will do for you.

here is what I'm using for my compact.

store.yahoo.com/desantisholster/086.html

Link Posted: 11/4/2003 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Milt Sparks holster IWB and some bigger pants.

Since I started carrying I have to get pants that have a bit more room in them. Normally I have to increase the waist size by 2" to comfortably fit the full size 1911 IWB.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Would you ask out the most beautiful woman in the world and make her wear a burlap dress?

You quality weapon deserves a quality holster.

www.miltsparks.com

by the way I carry an Officers ACP and go nowhere with out it
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 6:50:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Second picking up pants with a larger waist for IWB, makes it a lot more comfortable.

Strongly second Milt Sparks! Comfort, quality, above all- reliable.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:49:45 AM EDT
[#6]
But how would a more expensive IWB holster alleviate the problems I'm having right now?  I'm finding that when I sit in the car, the grip gets into my back some and I think the barrel area gets into my hip and hurts.  That makes me think the pictured holster that rides up high on your belt would be nice, but would I have to buy a $60-70 belt to go with it?  Also, is that holster comfortable to wear without anything under it?

Would you ask out the most beautiful woman in the world and make her wear a burlap dress?

No, I'd ask her to wear nothing at all.

Quoted:
Why?  Is it made out of depleted uranium.

Thank you for you pointless response.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:04:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought a CCW fannypack to carry when I wore shorts that do not have belt loops, except that I've foung that A) It's more comfortable than belt holsters anyway, and B) you don't have to worry about "printing" with ANY clothing.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:40:03 AM EDT
[#8]
There are certain aspects of carrying a weapon on a daily basis that you're just going to have to get used to.

There are certain times when you will be slightly uncomfortable and IMHO there is really nothing you can do about this. After all you are hauling around a solid, unbending, non-conforming 30 ounce chunk of steel.

Three things.......

Get bigger pant's.

Get a quality belt.

Get a quality holster, this means you're going to have to spend some $$. A $10 Uncle Mike's Kydex holster may work fine for monthly trips to the range worn outside the pants, but NOT for daily IWB deep concealment.

I suggest the Milt Sparks Watch 6 or the Versa Max 2. The basic difference between these two is the Versa Max has a ?metal/plastic? insert in the top portion of the holster that helps hold the opening of the holster open, keeping it's shape so that re-holstering your weapon is easier. If you're not going to be taking your weapon out of the holster often, you probably do not need this feature.

More bad new's......most people go through several quality holsters before they arrive on one that they really like, is comfortable to them and that fits their body. They you'll have to think about having one holster for summer wear and one for winter wear.........

Get used to it, adapt your clothing or don't carry. No flames meant, this is just the way it is.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You quality weapon deserves a quality holster.

www.miltsparks.com

www.miltsparks.com/images/Photos/VM-2_small.jpg

by the way I carry an Officers ACP and go nowhere with out it

WERD
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 10:45:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
But how would a more expensive IWB holster alleviate the problems I'm having right now?  I'm finding that when I sit in the car, the grip gets into my back some and I think the barrel area gets into my hip and hurts.  That makes me think the pictured holster that rides up high on your belt would be nice, but would I have to buy a $60-70 belt to go with it?  Also, is that holster comfortable to wear without anything under it?

"More expensive" in the case of leather in the class of that made by Sparks also means "Better designed". And yes. you DO need a belt designed for carrying if you want best results. While a couple of hundred dollars for a good rig is not cheap, it could make the difference netween you actually having the gun with you when trouble comes calling, or having it back in the car or house.

The real problem is that you need to try out several designs to find which is best for you, and that gets really expensive. Most guys who actually DO carry all the time end up using two or three different rigs, depending upon the time of year, type of work they do and / or mode of dress at any given time.

I use an IWB, an "on the belt" holster and a "day planner" holster for my Kimber or OM, and aways have my little .S&W Scandium in a pocket. Paranoid? Nope...if I was paranoid I'd sling up my M4 or Benelli as well.

Link Posted: 11/5/2003 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#11]
The real problem is something that most new carriers dont realize.  Carrying a 2+ lb gun ISNT comfortable.  Despite what I'd like to think, I wasnt born with a 1911 on my hip.  It pokes you, it prods you, it makes you cinch your belt up tighter than you normally would, it changes how you pick stuff up, how you sit, WHERE you sit, what you wear.  And I havent even mentioned spare ammo, flashlight and for me, a back up gun.

Somedays lugging a gun around is straight up pain in the ass, but then again so is being dead.  Spend good money on a good holster and get the most comfort for your dollar.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The real problem is something that most new carriers dont realize.  Carrying a 2+ lb gun ISNT comfortable.  Despite what I'd like to think, I wasnt born with a 1911 on my hip.  It pokes you, it prods you, it makes you cinch your belt up tighter than you normally would, it changes how you pick stuff up, how you sit, WHERE you sit, what you wear.  And I havent even mentioned spare ammo, flashlight and for me, a back up gun.

Somedays lugging a gun around is straight up pain in the ass, but then again so is being dead.  Spend good money on a good holster and get the most comfort for your dollar.

WERD again!
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#13]
And while we're on the subject...a good belt.  Amazed at the people that have $1000 gun in a $100 holster on a $10 Walmart belt.

A quality holster isnt going to do shit without a good quality gun belt to support it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Milt Sparks holster IWB and some bigger pants.

Since I started carrying I have to get pants that have a bit more room in them. Normally I have to increase the waist size by 2" to comfortably fit the full size 1911 IWB.

Amen.

That says it all. I just ordered a milt sparks executive companion today myself. It would be a good choice if your are interested. The wait sucks, but it is worth it. I personally don't use kydex on my 1911 due to excessive finish wear. The holster really does make a big difference, believe it or not.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 5:50:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought one of these belts and it makes a big difference.
www.gunnersalley.com/category/accessories.belts/
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 8:48:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Always thinking "Good Quality Handgun, Good Quality Holster, and Good Quality Belt"  as a package.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#17]
After going down the same road as you, I learned that there is no substitute for a decent holster & your money ahead to just do it. Milt Sparks stuff kicks ass, you'll have to wait a bit but it's worth it.

.......Paul
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Pick up a 2-2 1/2 inch S&W revolver, I have a model 66, a PPKS, or the like. Stick it in your jacket pocket, cargo pants pocket, pleated pants front pocket, etc.

What good is a great gun if its too cumbersome and uncomfortable to carry?

If you need to use the Model 66, 1 hit with .357 usually does the trick. Your assailant will likely lose whatever part of his body you hit. With the Walther, you may have to double tap. Its more important you are good with the gun than that you have lots of bullets, fancy sights, etc. If you need to use the sights, chances are you have room to run away.

The killing might not bother you much but the wrongful death suits will haunt you forever.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#19]
FWIW

I've got a "Fag-Bag" fanny pack that's designed with a rip cord for the hidden compartment and my USP or 1911.

I can sling it over my sholder, wear it cross chest, around my waist in front or back or on the side.  It's always accessable.

I took a good line from a friend of mine...

"I'm allergic to bee stings and my kit has my drugs that I need to save my life"...

no one questions me after that and if I need the "drug" all 180 grains are at my disposal.

Link Posted: 11/11/2003 10:20:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I bought an officers 1911.  [snip]  I can hide the gun easily under my shirt IWB @4:00, but it's not very comfortable to sit down.  It's not very comfortable to drive.  [snip] Is there a better way to carry?  

I carried a Gov't model for years in an IWB at 9:00.  Some IWB's are straight drop holsters in other words they hold the gun vertical.  Others have a slight forward cant.  For me, the slight forward cant made for a more comfortable holster for sitting or driving.

Good holsters and belts will make all day carry easier.  However, while carrying a .45 ACP is a comfort from a mental standpoint, it sure wasn't from a physical one!  

I found Milt Sparks Summer Special a great holster.  Other good ones are available from Kramer, DeSantis, and Ted Blocker.  I use a 2" belt from the latter.

IMHO opinion there is no better way to carry than IWB.  All you have to cover is the butt of the gun.  I didn't have much luck with fanny packs as the zippers seemed to snag.  Never tried the Velcro style.  My other beef with fanny packs was the gun gets awfully heavy hanging off of you whereas a good belt/holster combo carry the gun's weight.

Finally, rather than go up one pants size, I just decided to start exercising more to make me smaller... Good luck with your search; just remember we've all gone through it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I will join the choir. I recommend a good belt, holster, and try a bunch of different positions on the belt. I like a Milt Sparks Summer Special worn at 3:00 o'clock. It took a little time for me to get used to carrying at 3:00 but now I seldom carry in any other location. Regards, Richard:D
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top