Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2003 12:55:35 PM EDT
Finding anything in a gunstore in my area is next to impossible so I order everything pretty much. I'm looking for a milspec style .45 ACP with:
1]Blued
2]black rubber grips

Prefer Colt but am having touble finding what I am looking for. Any model numbers or other suggestions would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Grips are like socks: if you don't like them you can change them in 30 seconds.

I'd suggest going to Colt's & Springfield's web site & see what they have. Wilson Combat & Les Baer are two of the best 1911s.

Gun List newsrag can give you a good feel for price as well.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 5:31:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. I have been to the websites but not really sure where to go with that. I guess I am looking for something stock with the features I want. Sprinfield seems to have exactly what I want and that would be fine but I would lean towards Colt as money is not a big deal on the purchase. What do you guys think of the Springfield? Most seem to think highly of it.

Link Posted: 10/29/2003 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Springfield is a good choice and you'd be well served with one. I have three 1911's and they're all Colt. Kinda partial to Colt I am, I am.

Colts 1991 and Springfields Mil-Spec are both good base model 1911's. The Mil-Spec comes Parkarized and the 1991 comes Blued.

Either one can be easily upgraded or embellished by the shooter himself to suit his needs and or whims

I would go Colt given a choice, however I'd not turn down a Mil-Spec if the price was right either.

Whichever one you get I'd consider replacing the MIM internals with good quality tool steel replacements from Brown, Wilson or Clyinder and Slide. Nothing makes a 1911 shoot sweeter than a great trigger.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Try www.gunsamerica.com

Search using Colt or Sprinfield.  It should pull up some stuff.  These are guns that are for sale, if you didn't know.  So all one has to do is get it shipped to a local FFL who want's to receive.

Link Posted: 10/30/2003 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an early 1990s Colt 1991 Gov't model. It has always been a great shooter for me, and surprisingly accurate. I have no idea how many rounds fired over the years, but several thousand. I had a trigger job done and the ejection port enlareged, installed a steel arched MS housing, and shot the hell out of it. The only thing I have done, maintenance-wise, is to occasionally install a new 18 lb spring. I also have a couple other Colts, all good pistols.

My newest 1911 is a loaded Springfield. The OD green kind of caught my eye. This has also been a great handgun. A few more bells and whistles. The only thing this pistol needed (for me) was a steel arched MS housing to replace the flat factory ILS housing. I haven't shot it that much, maybe 500-700 rounds. No problems.

Either one is a good choice; the SA has more features already added on.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Colt quality has been known to be hit or miss on their 1911s for whatever reason. I bought a mil-spec Springfield & then added what I wanted on it rather than what the factory thought I should have.

Both of my 1911s are Springfields.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I see you are from WI so I hope this helps

Last summer I stopped at Schield's (sp?) (Scheels) around Appleton/Osh Kosh.  It was at some mall just west of the highway.  They had the WWII mil spec Springfield for $429.  They said it would be regularly carried.

I personally have a Colt but I would definately look at the SA!

Good Luck
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Picked up a new Benelli shotgun today and looked at the Colt 1991 and the Springfield 1911 milspec. Owner of the shop rec the SA hands down also. I'll be getting one soon and though he is asking a little more that's okay. I do a fair share of transfers thru him.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

What do you guys think of the Springfield? Most seem to think highly of it.

They suck big time.  Don't waste your money.  I speak from experience.

Get a Colt, or if you can afford it, a Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Rock River Arms, or a Valtro.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 11:58:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Get two.  I did:

Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yet there are tens of thousands of happy SA owners? How can all of them be SO wrong? Are they not aware of SA "sucking big time"? Whodathunkit?
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got a 1991A1. Colt.

As long as my heart's beating, i will not surrender it.

It's standard, Parkerized. Have a few additions, namely a Lasermax and an ambi safety. I want to pick up another so i cna have a stock model and a pimped out model. Some of the Sprinfields had tempering problems, IIRC. Regardless, i will stick with colt.

Only downside to the 1991 is the series 80 firing pin safety. Some hate it. Personally, i don't mind it. But it does add a bit of mush to ther trigger.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yet there are tens of thousands of happy SA owners? How can all of them be SO wrong? Are they not aware of SA "sucking big time"? Whodathunkit?

They need to get out more.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#15]
My Colt blued 1991A1 Government with a few personal preference modifications that weren't major cost jobs has left me with a pistol I love.
Feeds anything I've crammed into it, it's accurate.

I'll lean Colt over Springfield, but I have been considering purchasing a Springfield recently (each gun for a specific purpose), so I don't see them as a gun to feel unsure about.
If I could afford a custom 1911, well that would be another story as far as my preference.

Link Posted: 10/31/2003 9:07:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
They need to get out more.

Not together they dont.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top