Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2003 7:10:19 AM EDT
I have the urge to build a 1911.  Anyone know good resorces for building your own?  What brand of fram is economical for range shooting vs. home protection?  I currently own a SigPro .40 and have become somewhat proficient with it.  Will I be able to build a comparable shooter?  Any info or opinions are cool.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 9:08:22 AM EDT
[#2]
The best 1911 frames are made by STI and SVI (Strayer Voight Inc). The make both single stack 1911 frames, and double stack 2011 frames.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The best 1911 frames are made by STI and SVI (Strayer Voight Inc).

What are we basing that assessment on?

Ive seen more custom builds on Caspian than anything else.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 12:03:35 PM EDT
[#4]
SVI and STI frames are the frames of choice for competition 1911 style pistols. Go to any USPSA/IPSC match and you will see that they make up 90% of the 1911 field in limited 10, limited and open class. Same holds true for steel challenge.

You have many more options for dustcover lenght, trigger guard shape, and materials the frame is built out of. Caspian also makes a fine frame, but STI or SVI are far more popular.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#5]
You asked which is economical for range shooting v. home protection. Are you looking to build a bullseye range gun or a home defense weapon?
Not having built a 1911 I don't know how much this factors into the decision. Starting at (a reputable company) frame my guess would be it factors little.
I noticed you made the distinction so I thought I'd tease it out so that others with experience in building their own/having one custom built for them can narrow your search.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:01:11 AM EDT
[#6]
The STI/SVI's are great for a double stack 1911, but for a classic single stack 1911, the Caspian frames are very hard to beat.

Whether the 1911 will be accurate has more to do with the fit of the barrel to frame & bushing than anything else.  Use a high quality barrel, get an oversized match bushing, and fit them properly.  This involves removing metal from a few key locations, and is not an easy job for a novice.  The Kart ez-fit barrel is supposed to be pretty straightforward to properly install.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:41:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Caspian...but you can buy something like a Springfield for much less and it will work out of the box.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 7:38:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I've built one with an essex frame.  Sarco Inc sales a kit that has "everthing but the frame" for about $169.  If your building a 1911 do it for the joy and experience.  Don't think your going to save time/money by doing it yourself.  It's a nice feeling to take a gun out and shoot that you filed, polished, and put together to make reliable.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 7:55:46 AM EDT
[#9]
No opinion on frames... although a fellow shooter I know built his 1911 on a Caspian frame
and it seems like a well finished product.

Some helpful links on home builds.

www.sightm1911.com/

www.blindhogg.com/gunsmithing.html

Frank Roderus site is pretty good; unfortuantly it seems to be down (or perhaps it's no longer online).

www.roderuscustom.tzo.com

A lot of it involves building on an 80% frame, but the basics and hints on building a 1911 properly would still apply.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 5:40:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Good info, Thanks!

--LS
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:09:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Caspian makes good frames, as does Baer. Either should work nicely in a 1911 build.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top