Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2003 3:09:49 PM EDT
I just purchased a new Glock 30 today.  I am in heaven...saying bye bye to my overpriced, overweight, overrated 1911.  This Glock is the best handgun I've ever had the pleasure of shooting...ok enough of that (1911 lovers, go easy on me   I was wondering if any of you Glock guys out there use or can recommend cleaning solvents and lubricants for Glocks?  I know the majority of my replies will just be "use anything on the market" but I still have to ask, is there any favorites you guys prefer to use?
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:03:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I have just used a drop of break free on mine. Never had a jam. Every one has there own idea of the perfect oil-lube. On glocks many use Mil-tech,tetra, etc. I have tried them all and see no difference. Just use a drop on the rails and barrel hood, as per the instruction booklet. It's better not to over lube a Glock. Be sure none gets in the firing pin channel. I use break free because I have had good results, and use it on all my guns, instead of having two or three different kinds of lube for different guns.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:11:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I have decided that for gun oil, nothing is really much better than anything else.  Tetra oil seems to provide good lubricity, and it stays on the gun longer than about anything else I've tried.

CLP, Militec, and all the other gun oils are just about as good.  Just use what you have on hand for a lube.  Rust isn't really a problem with the Glocks, so don't worry about picking something that's an excellent protectant.

Solvents also all seem to work about the same.  I use Slip 2000's 725 gun degreaser, a water based spray, to do my basic cleaning of the major components.  I like it because it cleans off the fouling without leaving an oily film behind (great for polymer frames) and it allows me to put a coat of fresh lube on the bare metal, instead of applying it over an oily surface.  It doesn't work very well on waxy lead bullet residue, so I usually have to use some petroleum based solvent for that.

I hope you enjoy your Glock.  I never could get used to mine, so I sold it and upgraded to an XD Tactical. :)
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:27:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, my understanding was that an underpriced, underweight, underrated Glock never needs cleaning.  When it gets dirty you throw it away and buy a new one.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:35:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Go here and request a free sample of their lubricant...I like it much better than Break Free. If you regularly clean and lube the gun...say, two or three times a year if you do NOT shoot it as well as every time you DO shoot it, pretty much anything works. If, however, you are carrying under "severe" conditions or do not do routine maintenance cleanings, lubrication, things change a little...in blowing sand, they change a LOT!

www.shooters-choice.com/../other.html
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 7:06:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I dunno how well it works on tupperware, but on real guns (just kidding!) I have had excellent results with MPro-7. It is a biodgradable, non-toxic, water-based gun cleaner that seems to really work. The best part is, I can clean my guns in the living room just before a meal and the woman doesn't freak out, because the stuff is completely oderless. Brownells has it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#6]
For a lubricant, my vote goes to TW25B from Mil.Comm. Tetra is similar, but is WATER SOLUBULE (sp?) so if you go into the drink or get caught in a real downpour, bye-bye lubrication. It can be found in the Dillion Precision catalog or at www.milcomm.com. As far as solvents go, there's just a shitload of good ones out there. Try 'em to you find one you like (or that the GF or wife will let you use in the house). Follow the instructions, as TW25B is an "a little dab will do ya" lubricant and YES I've over-lubricated my SIG and it would occasionally jam on me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, having no comment on the Glock... (lose the plastic polymer sissy pistol and get a STEEL gun!)...

CLP is a good all purpose substance... you can clean with it, you can lubricate with it, and it even protects!  (Cleans, Lubricates and Protects = CLP)  It's light like oil and does a decent job cleaning.  

I usually just use some Hoppe's #9 for cleaning the barrel, and use some TP to clean the frame and slide and such.  I use a light grease on my automatics, and it works great!  

I'm sure any of the suggestions here will work fine with your pistol.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 1:42:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I use MPro-7 for everything but the bore, where I use Shooter's Choice. I lube with Tetra. Same with my HKs and all my other handguns.

For rifles I use MPro-7 to clean, Shooter's Choice to clean the bore, Militec1 to lube, and CLP on the bore to prevent rust. Sometimes I use nothing but CLP on the ARs, but eventually I use Shooter's Choice on the bore to get the copper off.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 4:12:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I use MPro-7 for everything but the bore, where I use Shooter's Choice. I lube with Tetra. Same with my HKs and all my other handguns.

For rifles I use MPro-7 to clean, Shooter's Choice to clean the bore, Militec1 to lube, and CLP on the bore to prevent rust. Sometimes I use nothing but CLP on the ARs, but eventually I use Shooter's Choice on the bore to get the copper off.

Why don't you use MPro-7 on the bore?
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 3:01:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why don't you use MPro-7 on the bore?

I do once in a while, but as far as I know it does not remove copper, so I mostly use Shooter's Choice.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Just make sure you read the fine print on the owners manual where it tells you the few types of ammunition allowed.  Or it may end up like this.  You should have bought a G17 or G19 all non 9mm cartridged glocks are prone to blow up.  

Oh, I don't know what type of piece of shit 1911 you had, but maybe you should have bought a Colt or other name brand before giving up.  There is a reason why special forces use, 1911's, HK's & Sigs.  No Glocks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top