Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2008 5:09:49 PM EDT
Its not so much that wear on a firearm bothers me, but its a fairly decent sized silver shiney spot.

I love my P500 universal sight installation tool, but the pusher tip has a tendency to rotate during installation, so it makes a silver shiney circle on the rear sights Im installing.  

Anyways, I'd love to touch these things up to make them matte black again.

I've tried rustoleum.  Paint comes off as soon as oil gets on it.  I've also tried the birchwood casey matte black "touch up" pen.  Same results.

I've cleaned the rear sight with alcohol first all times I've done it, but the stuff eventually wears off again.

I have gunkote, and I'd happily apply that and bake the slide, but I put on the tritium front sights with red loctite and would much rather not try throwing the night sight in the oven at 300 degrees.

I may have some old alumahyde II laying around, but since the rear sight is steel is there anything else I can use?

Isnt there a product called "cold blue" or something of the sort that actually stains steel black????

Thanks,
Scott
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#1]
mine got marked too when the dealer installed it. he blackened it with a sharpie.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
mine got marked too when the dealer installed it. he blackened it with a sharpie.

How has it held up?

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:08:54 AM EDT
[#3]
black krylon...
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:23:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Use a little bit of MEK on a cuetip until you see no oil then wipe again and then wipe it with a clean dry one. I used one of those car touchup pens on my CZ and it worked great.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:26:44 AM EDT
[#5]
My rear sights (including my Sevigny) get banged up from time to time. Often by the seat belt buckle.

Make sure the sight is clean and free of oil. Wipe it down with 95% rubbing alcohol then hit it with some Brownells Oxpho Blue on a q-tip. Looks good as new.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top