Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2003 12:19:12 AM EDT
I am looking to buy a carry gun this week.  The HK USP Compact .45 or Colt Defender .45 are the two I have narrowed my choices down to.  What are the pros/cons from you guys that have had experience with either of these?  I am having a hard time deciding.  Also, I have read up on the Federal Hydra-Shok and similar ammo, and the barrel length is listed as 5 inches.  Does this mean I can't use this ammo and others like it in these two handguns?  Neither of them have a 5-inch barrel.  But for the most part, I really need help deciding between which one to buy, mainly because I haven't heard much about the Colt Defender .45 but have handled one and it is very comfortable, don't know much about it other than that and I don't wanna buy the Colt if the HK is far superior.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 3:08:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Both are good guns...the decision as to which is "better" is really more about you than the gun. The Colt is smaller and easier to conceal but, of course, is a single-action only design. Are you comfortable carrying a round in the chamber and hammer cocked / safety on? If so...and many of us are...the Defender will serve you well. The H&K is an excellent gun but somewhat larger and not as easily concealed IMO, certainly it is wider, which can make a real difference if you use an IWB holster.

Both are more than accurate enough to do anything you will ever need a CCW handgun to do, but the H&K is probably more capable of shooting tight groups at 25yd. and beyond...if that matters to you. Either should handle rounds like the HydraShok or Gold Dot, etc. just fine...but if it were me, I would invest in a couple of Wilson 6 or 7 round mags for the Colt...they really are better than the stock mags. The only difference with the shorter barrel is that you can expect lower velocities from comparable loads than from a 5in. gun...factories use 5in. test barrels for the .45a.c.p. because that has always been the standard 1911 Government Model barrel length.

My take on these two guns is that the H&K is probably the more reliable and ready to go "out of the box" and with the Variant #1 system you can still carry "cocked and locked" if you wish, but it does give up the advantage of size. I really must say that I would consider the H&K the "better" gun, but would much prefer to carry the Colt on a constant basis...much more easily concealed for me.

Keep in mind that this is only one opinion among many. If possible, rent and shoot both somewhere...that will tell you a great deal about which YOU prefer...and this is about YOU...not me.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 6:19:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I have shot both.  I own a Usp fullsize and a Kimber TLE which is a fullsize 1911.  I used to carry th HK until I discovered that I shoot much better with a 1911.  In my opinion the HK is probably the better made weapon.  However, I think the Colt might serve you better if you are already framiliar with it.  In the end the weapon is an extension of its owner.  Get the one that you think you will be more comfortable with.  As far as ammo you can still use the Hydra-Shocks or Gold Dots but I would use a lighter load like a 185 or 200 grn round.  Personally I use the Gold Dot.  For you I would reccomend the 200grd rnd.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 7:33:08 AM EDT
[#3]
My USPc is a fine gun, but my 1911's are more comfortable to carry because of the narrow profile.

I've found that for "carry" the more comfortable the holster/gun combo is, the more likely I am to carry it. I wouldn't want to get shot with ANY of my weapons, but mostly I just "carry" them so ergonomics is important :')

Link Posted: 10/23/2003 7:48:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Use +P ammo out of either gun and it should gain enough velocity to expand when it hits your target from the shorter barrels.

I carry a USP40c and a Kimber Compact CDP....

A couple weekends ago I was carrying the H&K for a 3-gun match and had it on all day.  Once I shot the match I switched back over to the Kimber.

Let's just say it felt about 40lbs lighter....

The Colt may need a little "work" to make it perform just like you like, but it's a very fine CCW choice.

So is the H&K, just a bit heavier.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I've heard USPs can be a little picky on ammo.  My colt fires whatever I put in it.  Both are really nice guns.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've heard USPs can be a little picky on ammo.  My colt fires whatever I put in it.  Both are really nice guns.  

Yeah?  They're not.  I've owned three.  They are no more or less picky than any 1911, Sig, or other handguns I have owned or fired.

Only had two mag related issues with my USP40...last two rounds in a 350 round shooting binge...wouldn't completely chamber the round.

Worked the slide and the next round did the same.  Both rounds DID chamber when placed in a different mag.

FWIW, this ammo was shitty CCI aluminum cased reloads -- aka "Crap".

Link Posted: 10/23/2003 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I have a full size Kimber and a USP40F, 45 TAC, and a USP45compact, I've had more FTFs with the Kimber (not that I've had many) than ALL my HK's combined.

BUT, the only the ammo HKs dont like is steel cased ammo. (ie. WOLF)
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#8]
The 1911 will probably point a bit better than the USP will for most folks. It's also a bit thinner.

The H&K WILL be more accurate & reliable.

I own 3 H&Ks, wonderful guns.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 2:52:05 AM EDT
[#9]
My CCW is a Colt Defender.
I have carried it for about 4 years now.
I really like it.
It would be my choice of the two.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I gotta go with The Colt Defender. I've carried a Colt LW Commander for 20 years and recently went to an Officers ACP.

I must admit that I've never much cared for HK's, any Hk's .......well, ok   I LOVE THE MP5
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:06:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Keeping it straight and simple to your question about which for a carry gun- the Colt; much more comfortable to carry.

Either gun you go with for carry, you might want to seriously consider the alternate as a home and range gun. Although I'd go with a larger Colt for that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top