Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/30/2008 7:59:55 PM EDT
I got about $1500 saved for handguns. My kind/understanding father is going to purchase some handguns with my money as I'm not quite 21 yet lol. What are some good handgun recommendations? I need reliability/accuracy as these handguns will be used at the range, but also for home defense. I've heard lots of great things about glocks, but I just can't seem to get over their odd appearance. They just... bug me somehow lol. I don't know how to explain it. Hopefully somebody else knows what I'm talking about.

Anyways... I'm considering these handguns...
Beretta 92FS (9mm)
FN FiveSeven  (5.7)
HK USP Tactical (.45) Hoping to get a silencer one day if I do get a USP.

Any other recommendations? I'm obviously new to handguns, but these are some pistols that I've heard mentioned a lot both locally and off the internet.
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried going to a local range and renting some handguns?

I own a 92FS and it is a great handgun, BTW.
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 8:06:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Glock 19

Ammo & more ammo

Training
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 8:16:41 PM EDT
[#4]
if I had that kinda money right now...
sig, XD, or XDM.

USP, or USPC

Ive heard some troublesome things about the five and seven..but no reall info to back it up...
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#5]
semi custom 1911
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#6]

But off yo list, the Beretta (get an older one with steel controls and the straight dustcover).

Link Posted: 8/30/2008 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I turn 21 in 21 days....and so far this is what I have on the list

Beretta 92FS
Glock 19 (maybe)
USPc 9mm
parts to build my completely custom 1911 from the ground up (I'm around $550 no in just parts...thats not including the slide, frame, or grips)

Right now I only have the USPc, waiting to hear back about the beretta and the glock....as for the 1911 parts thats going to be an extended project

as for what you mean about glocks...yeah i know what you're talking about.  They look like blocks....however they are very utilitarian and look and function the part.
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#8]
get a used Wilson, RRA, etc if you can find one for that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 1:53:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 2:49:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Of the three you mentioned, I'd go with the HK.  Magazines are expensive, though.  Sig Sauer P220 Combat is another one you might consider.  Most bang for your buck is Glock but that is not something you are considering...yet.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 3:17:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Purchase one gun, whatever fits you the best. Don't forget some extra mags and ammo. The practice practice practice.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 4:23:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Glock 34 and Kimber Custom Stainless. Use any left over for ammo. Shoot the Glock, you'll learn.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 4:29:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I have 2 Beretta's a 92F compact, older(1988) Italian made pistol with all steel controls and a new commerical copy of the M9, with polymer parts. Both are very reliable, accurate, no problems feeding JHP's Despite what the flood of Glock Kool-aid drinkers will tell you, there is nothing wrong with the Beretta 92 series, Mags are easy to find, and cheap The only thing I'd do to the Beretta is install a "D" spring and a stronger recoil spring , a #16 will do nicely. Making these mods will result in a lower DA trigger pull and a lighter SA trigger pull, and will take about 10minutes to install and cost about $20 for the "D" spring and recoil spring..
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 4:48:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Go with the G19 and lots of ammo. This will give you time to shoot other guns until you find the one (or twenty), that you have to have. You can't go wrong with the G19 for a starter, ever.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 6:33:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Save up an extra 200 and get a MK23.

Otherwise get the USP Tactical.  Awesome guns, two of the best you'll ever come across.

Scott
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 7:49:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Glock 19

Ammo & more ammo

Training

+1

And a 22LR TARGET PISTOL!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 8:01:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Get a nice Kimber 1911 or mabe a little less pricy Springfield 1911 and you will be very pleased with your purchase.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 8:11:45 AM EDT
[#18]
1) Go to a range.

2) Rent a wide variety of pistols.

3) Find what works for YOU.

4) Buy that pistol, mags, and a lot of ammo.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 8:25:24 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
1) Go to a range.

2) Rent a wide variety of pistols.

3) Find what works for YOU.

4) Buy that pistol, mags, and a lot of ammo.

+1

that said, "appearance" is NOTHING; RELIABILTY and how it works and handles for YOU is what matters

i too would recommend a G19 and/or 1911
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 8:39:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Here's my picks which should even save money for ammo.

1. Used Ruger MK.II $250.00

2. Used Ruger 4" or 6" Security Six .357 mag.

3. 1911 style 45 ACP with extra clips
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#21]
If it was me, I'd go with a 9mm (like the Beretta), a stainless 4" .357 (Ruger is a great choice) and a good quality .22lr autoloader (Ruger or Buckmark). These are great basics that any new handgunner can learn and grow on, and likely keep forever. Lots of money left over for a good range bag, magazines, holsters, and AMMUNITION. Shooting pistols like these will help you make your future choices.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 9:38:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Didn't realize this was your first, so disregard my above post.

Get a Glock 17 and a Ruger 22/45 for plinking.

You're going to have to get over your Glock thing.  After owning everything under the sun, my serious go-to guns are almost all Glocks.  Once you realize the benefits to their design, you will not give a shit about the looks.  Not to mention, there are so many sight options out there and so many ways you can tweak them to fit YOU, its unbelievable.  There is a reason that they are the choice of armed professionals around the world that have the ability to choose what they carry.  Phenomonal guns.

You can find a LNIB Glock 17 around here for 400 bucks + shipping and a transfer fee, unless you can find one locally for private sale, then there is obviously no shipping or transfer fee.

The Rugers are about 250 at any gunstore.

You'll have about 650-700 out of pocket for these two firearms.  The Glock 17 is probably one of the best overall guns out there.  Cheap, reliable as hell, mags are cheap, 9mm is cheap, and its perfect for range use, home defense, or SHTF.  A Glock 19 may be substituted if you plan on CCW'ing, and be great for the above uses as well.

Spend the rest on mags, night sights for your Glock, ammo, and range time.

You can get 10 extra Glock mags for 18 a peice from a few vendors, and you'll have a great supply.

IM me if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 10:23:22 AM EDT
[#23]
1911  fo sho!
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Have you tried going to a local range and renting some handguns?

I own a 92FS and it is a great handgun, BTW.

Excellent idea.  I love my Kimber Custom FWIW
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#25]
For $1500  you could buy one each XD9, XD40 and XD45.

Or buy two of the above, and get a nice .357 Magnum: a GP100 is my recommendation.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#26]
I understand having lots of guns sounds cool, but knowing how to use one gun very effectively is a whole lot better.

Glock 19
Advantage Arms 22lr upper
Good holster, and belt
AMMO
TRAINING
AMMO

You can sub in the Beretta as there are 22 kits for it too.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#27]
I only buy used stuff any more.

4" revolver in 357 S&W model 19 or equivalent.
Any 4" 22 long rifle, auto or revolver, very cheap fun / practice.
1911 in 45 ACP
9mm Tupperware auto, xd9 or Glock  
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#28]
1) Glock 19 - $450ish Summit Gun Broker
2) Mags - get a bunch - $25/ea 6 for $150 Summit Mags CDNN Mags
3) Ammo - Get as much as you can.  3k rounds should be around - $600  
4) Holster / mag carrier Raven Concealment is what I rock.  $100  
5) Training - US Shooting Academy Is In TULSA Courses start at $175  Take as many as you can with your remaining budget.

I have not attended any of their training but have heard good things from guys I trust.  There are of course other great schools out there but give them a try.

Choosing a gun because it "looks cool" is... a mistake.

Mike

Link Posted: 8/31/2008 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#29]
I have an HK USP .40 full size:
It has been very reliable, and i love it. One issue is that with the polymer frame you can change the grips, so if it doesnt fit your hand it never will. in a 9mm it may be a little slimmer and suit your hand.
I have a sig 228 9mm:
It is not made anymore, but the 229 is very very similar,excellent weapon, supremely reliable and great quality. The 229 is made to handle the extra bang of a .40 cal. it is also available in 9mm.  My Sig 228 is excellent at the range  super duper accurate.
Also have a 226 and a 232, I love them, not a negative thing to say, but I wouldnt recommend either for what you are looking for.
Bought my first 1911 (.45 ACP) yesterday, never considered it before, but I finally decided to jump in.
I have to say I dont know why I didnt get one previously! I have pretty big hands but the 1911 just feels excellent, the single stack mag and design will suit many many shooters. It shoots geat, but havent shot it enough to make a real determination.

I totally agree with the other posts, go to your local range and rent a few see what you like... I would recommend a model that feels natural in your hand. somethign that feels natural will hopefully let you to easily draw your sites on target.  As for self defense I think comfortable will also play an important role in hitting your target in an high tension situation.  Don't forget to try different calibers too. As for caliber I image most people would agree the 9mm may move to fast at close range and may not stop the offender. But dont stop shooting after one round! The .40 and 45 will have much greater stopping power, but may not be as fun at the range for a long day of shooting.  
All in all. my prefernece is to use a 22 on the range.. since ammo is super cheap and it lends itself to a long day of shooting. In the house my HK USP full size .40 is what and intruder will be dealing with if he decides to make that day his last.  Now that I have a 1911, I can put a 22 conversion on it shoot all day at the range become even more comfortable with it and switch it back to 45 to keep by the bed.
Let us know what you get!  PS I didnt get a springfield 1911 but for the price I hear that are an excellent pistol.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok Ok Ok Ok! Beat me over the head with y'alls glocks more.  
lol... what's the difference between glock 19 and a glock 17 magazine capacity wise? I understand that the 19 is a smaller version of the 17.

I will plan on going to a gun range and try out some of these pistol recommendations y'all are giving.

I'll definitely look into glocks... but we'll see if I can grow to love them lol.
I originally was looking into the FiveSeven as I heard it's lightweight, super accurate, and tremendously low recoil with a 20 round magazine standard. After watching some youtube videos of girls shooting them with almost zero recoil, I was surprised.

I was interested in the USP .45 tactical as a high quality self defense pistol, but I guess .45 isn't too range/wallet friendly.

I guess I'll also still look into the Beretta 92FS as nobody's said anything negative about them. I understood that they've been used by our military for quite some time, and that they are also really reliable. 15 round magazine certainly is enough.

I've just been recommended a Sig earlier today... I'm sure they're high quality, but are they worth getting over all these other pistols? Ya, it'll be my first pistol, but I do plan on keeping it for a long long time. The initial price might be high, but I like to think of it as being spread out over a 10-15 year period.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Im gonna go out on a limb and say g30sf. My beretta and other glock have seen zero range time since she came into my life

But from the list.....beretta
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
lol... what's the difference between glock 19 and a glock 17 magazine capacity wise? I understand that the 19 is a smaller version of the 17.

2 rounds using their proprietary mags (19 holds 15rds, 17 holds 17rds).  You can use glock 17 mags in the 19, they have a small gap between the bottom of the grip and the mag floorplate

I originally was looking into the FiveSeven as I heard it's lightweight, super accurate, and tremendously low recoil with a 20 round magazine standard. After watching some youtube videos of girls shooting them with almost zero recoil, I was surprised.

Just my opinion the FN FiveSeven isn't worth buying.  You're looking at ammo the same cost as 223 approximately...not to mention it's a proprietary caliber and not easy to find unless you're ordering it online.

I was interested in the USP .45 tactical as a high quality self defense pistol, but I guess .45 isn't too range/wallet friendly.

.45 isn't cheap, then again it's not hard to reload either and makes it cheaper to shoot.  Though if you were planning on using this gun as a CCW then the tactical model is not the one you want to go with.  Taller sights and the threaded barrel protector will make holster options difficult and will add bulk to the gun.

I guess I'll also still look into the Beretta 92FS as nobody's said anything negative about them. I understood that they've been used by our military for quite some time, and that they are also really reliable. 15 round magazine certainly is enough.

They have 18rd mags too, and even larger capacity ones too but make sure they're factory.  Also just because it's used by the military doesn't mean it's a good choice, not saying they're bad but just something to keep in mind that the gov gives contracts to the lowest bidder.  The only 2 things that people complain about the beretta are the size of the gun both in grip and length, as well as the slide mounted safety.  

I've just been recommended a Sig earlier today... I'm sure they're high quality, but are they worth getting over all these other pistols? Ya, it'll be my first pistol, but I do plan on keeping it for a long long time. The initial price might be high, but I like to think of it as being spread out over a 10-15 year period.

Sig makes a good gun, but you have to ask yourself do you like DA/SA without an external safety.  Don't expect mags to be cheap, but they're not super expensive either.

Sounds like you've still got a bit of narrowing down to do.  Pick a caliber that you want to shoot and then look at your options.  Eliminate out the guns that have features you dislike, regardless of what people on here tell you about the guns and their experiences. After all it will be YOURS, not theirs.  Then go out and shoot all of them, eliminate the ones you cannot shoot well or dislike the ergos or feel on regardless of visual appeal of the gun.  I'd rather have guns that look like shit but I shoot well than guns that look great but I can't shoot for shit.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#33]
HK 45

like a USP but feels nicer, more ergonomic
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Friend has a .22 pistol I can practice basics with, etc.

I think I've decided on 9mm as the caliber for me. Not super expensive like the 5.7, and it's more than potent enough to stop an attacker with hollowpoints... or just pulling the trigger a few more times.  

I haven't decided on if I'll ever CCW for it. I'm currently a college student so opportunities would be very very limited for me. (I live in a condo that doesn't allow firearms of any type, so all my guns are at my dad's place.)

The glocks concern me with no external safety. I've heard horror stories about accidental discharge when holstering, girlfriend/friend new to guns getting ahold of it, etc. I keep my booger finger off the trigger at all times except when ready to shoot... just worried if someone else gets ahold of the gun somehow when I'm not around.

Now that I've narrowed it down to 9mm... it's probably between something like Glock 19, Sig P228 for possible concealed carry. But I honestly don't think I'll be doing concealed carry due to the reasons I've already listed. Maybe years down the road, but by then... it'll be a great excuse to get another gun.

So...
Glock 17, Sig P226, or Beretta 92FS it seems. Good choices? They're all really reliable, right? Are there any major differences in their performance?
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
The glocks concern me with no external safety. I've heard horror stories about accidental discharge when holstering, girlfriend/friend new to guns getting ahold of it, etc. I keep my booger finger off the trigger at all times except when ready to shoot... just worried if someone else gets ahold of the gun somehow when I'm not around.

a valid concern, I like having some sort of safety there, even if that safety is only a double action pull.  As for the friends/girlfriends getting ahold of it you should have a safe to put your toys into or at the very least put a trigger lock on the gun and/or leave it unloaded.

So...
Glock 17, Sig P226, or Beretta 92FS it seems. Good choices? They're all really reliable, right? Are there any major differences in their performance?

All are good choices and reliable, they will all likely outperform you, however if you ant to CCW any of them it won't be the easiest since they're all fullsize guns.  The P229/P228 and the Glock 19 are both viable for CCW use.  Other options would include a Springfield XD, S&W M&P, H&K P2000 or P30.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

That's like comparing the Toyota Camry, the Honda Accord, and the Mazda 6.

The standard ARFCOM answer is to get all three.  I'll modify that and say:  TRY ALL THREE BEFORE YOU DECIDE!!

If I were choosing, I'd take the G17, since it's the most compact and lightweight of the three and also has the highest standard magazine capacity of the three.  However, I shoot the M9/92-series like a house-on-fire.

If you seriously consider the Beretta, try finding a used 92G (decocker-only) as opposed to the 92FS (decocker/safety).  The FS-style safety is a hazard in a tactical situation where you may have to over-hand rack the slide.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
The standard ARFCOM answer is to get all three.  I'll modify that and say:  TRY ALL THREE BEFORE YOU DECIDE!!

I have to agree...try before you buy so you don't end up with something you don't really like or can't shoot well.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#38]
I can't take this thread seriously if it involves a 5.7 pistol.

Link Posted: 9/1/2008 6:14:23 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I will plan on going to a gun range and try out some of these pistol recommendations y'all are giving.

I'll definitely look into glocks... but we'll see if I can grow to love them lol.

15 rounds vs 17 rounds.

The USP Tactical would be a phenomenal third pistol.  Right after you get a good .22 and a good 9mm.

Leave Sig out of it.  Their quality control as of late has been in the shitter and its not worth taking the gamble when you get get a gun that is better in nearly every aspect (glock) for less $$.

I own both the beretta 92fs and Glock 17.

The Beretta is an awesome gun, but I have one problem with it- inconsistent trigger pull.

If you plan on using the gun for self defense, you have to learn two trigger pulls.  The first being stupidly long and heavy, the rest short and light.  While many people have no problem with this, I do.  I will not use a gun with an inconsistent trigger pull for defensive purposes.  I want the same pull every time.

The Glock has a lightning fast trigger reset, so its blazingly fast.  

Every gun I own for defensive purposes can either be carried cocked and locked (USP or 1911) or it has a striker system like the Glock.  And that is that.  No exceptions.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 6:33:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Of those listed, I'd go with the HK. That being said, give a Glock (19 or 17) a shot. They might take some getting used to (I didn't like them when I first started shooting) but they will win you over. Accurate, reliable, cheap and they have the same trigger pull. The simplicity makes them fantastic.

I love collecting guns, so I have a lot of different brands, but a 9mm Glock is probably the most efficent. If I could only have one that would probably be it.

Ammo and a good training course are the best things you can invest in.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 6:59:34 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

15 rounds vs 17 rounds.

The USP Tactical would be a phenomenal third pistol.  Right after you get a good .22 and a good 9mm.

Leave Sig out of it.  Their quality control as of late has been in the shitter and its not worth taking the gamble when you get get a gun that is better in nearly every aspect (glock) for less $$.

The Beretta is an awesome gun, but I have one problem with it- inconsistent trigger pull.

If you plan on using the gun for self defense, you have to learn two trigger pulls.  The first being stupidly long and heavy, the rest short and light.  While many people have no problem with this, I do.  I will not use a gun with an inconsistent trigger pull for defensive purposes.  I want the same pull every time.

Every gun I own for defensive purposes can either be carried cocked and locked (USP or 1911) or it has a striker system like the Glock.  And that is that.  No exceptions.

I have 2, A older compact(1988) and a new M9,the trigger pulls on both are the same everytime in either mode (sa/da) installing a "D" spring will greatly reduce the DA pull, it''l shave something like #4 off the DA pull alone,making it around 8.5 lbs. SA pull will be around #4 not bad for a $12 spring...  Try installing a "D" spring you'll be surprised at the improvement
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 7:04:35 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

15 rounds vs 17 rounds.

I have 2, A older compact(1988) and a new M9,the trigger pulls on both are the same everytime in either mode (sa/da) installing a "D" spring will greatly reduce the DA pull, it''l shave something like #4 off the DA pull alone,making it around 8.5 lbs. SA pull will be around #4 not bad for a $12 spring...  Try installing a "D" spring you'll be surprised at the improvement

I think we're talking about two different things.  I too have a D model spring in my 92fs.

To make it safe to carry/store loaded, I load the firearm, and decock it.

My first shot is a long double action pull, and every shot afterwards, unless I decock the firearm, is in single action mode.

Thats two different trigger pulls.  It is inconsistent from first to last shot, as there are two different pulls to learn.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Glock 17/19. you will easly learn to love them after shooting.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Glock 19

Ammo & more ammo

Training

This, and lots of mags.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

15 rounds vs 17 rounds.

I think we're talking about two different things.  I too have a D model spring in my 92fs.

My first shot is a long double action pull, and every shot afterwards, unless I decock the firearm, is in single action mode.

Thats two different trigger pulls.  It is inconsistent from first to last shot, as there are two different pulls to learn.

You'll have that with any DA/SA pistol so, your choices are, learn how to use it, or go with a pistol that has only one mode.. I can use aDA/SA pistol as I have a Sig -P220, and both my Beretta's, as well as a XD and a couple of 1911's I can use the DA/SA pistols  in either mode, It just takes some practice and to me, anyway it was'nt that hard to learn... In your case, it sounds like more of a training issue and not the pistols fault..
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 1:14:28 PM EDT
[#46]
.22lr bolt action rifle
.22lr pistol (revolver or semi)
9mm pistol.

I went with a cz452 first and then followed up with a cz 75 in 9mm and will either end up with a kadet kit or most likely I will just spend that money for a ruger 22/45 or a .22lr DA revolver. If you don't get a .22lr pistol you will miss out. No recoil to worry about, cheap ammo and it is a good piece to let others try when they come to the range for the first time with you. I don't even know why the FN is on your list btw for a first handgun. Are you considering the cost of ammo and how quickly you will go through boxes of it when you first start out? 20$ for 100rounds of 9mm goes pretty quick. With a .22lr you could spend 14$ and have enough ammo for the day.

edit: why are you concerned about buying a pistol for self defense right away? Worry about your aim and trigger practice first and then consider a pistol for self defense if and when you actually end up getting your CCW license.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#47]
$500 on a glock, $700 on a nice 1911, and the rest on ammo for both!
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#48]
out of those you listed id go with the HK i dont care for the berretta
and the FN ammo is expensive
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#49]
I have all of those and my favorite of your 3 choices is the USP Tactical. You could get that and still be over halfway to the cost of a good suppressor. But you'd have to turn 21 before you could take possession of it, unless you are going to have your father fill out the ATF paperwork and keep it for you. The HKs are a total blast to shoot suppressed. Almost no recoil, and absolutely no flash; the sound of the bullet striking the backstop is louder than the shot itself.

Every USP I've owned has been at least 99% reliable. I've never had a failure with either the USP Tactical or Mark 23. The regular USP .45 fullsize I used to own had a problem with Wolf ammo, once.

My FiveseveN sometimes doesn't lock the slide back on an empty mag. The bottom fell out of one of the neutered 10rd Klinton ban mags once too. The spring and ammo shot out the bottom and made a big mess all over the floor of the shooting range. I don't think the 20rd magazines have that problem but I wouldn't take the chance on a self-defense gun.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

15 rounds vs 17 rounds.

You'll have that with any DA/SA pistol so, your choices are, learn how to use it, or go with a pistol that has only one mode.. I can use aDA/SA pistol as I have a Sig -P220, and both my Beretta's, as well as a XD and a couple of 1911's I can use the DA/SA pistols  in either mode, It just takes some practice and to me, anyway it was'nt that hard to learn... In your case, it sounds like more of a training issue and not the pistols fault..

Ugh...spare me the internet criticism.

I've come to realize that consistency is the key to shooting well.  Nobody here is blaming the pistol.  Nobody here is blaming anything, nor writing anything off as an issue.  The only issue here is preference, and for me, speed and consistency are bigger issues than going to what I believe is an inferior platform and design.  I stated my own personal opinion and offered my advice based on that opinion.  You'll find many people who actually use a firearm for a living offer the same advice.

The pistols I find that work the best for me are pistols with consistent trigger pulls.  Glocks, HK's and 1911's.  Luckily they also happen to be 3 of the best systems out there that I would have chosen even if operating systems weren't am important criteria.

The only way you can choose which system works for you is to try it and train with it.  If anything, its the amount of "training" I have done that has led me to prefer consistency in my trigger pull, so feel free not to make any more assumptions  I can shoot a Beretta or a Sig from the decocked position just fine, but I personally prefer to either drop a thumb safety, or shoot a Glock.  There is no fault to be had, its what I prefer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top