Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2003 1:08:22 PM EDT
I'm a skinny guy and a skinny guy needs a skinny CCW. I sent my CHL paperwork in today. I was at the gunshop konwing that if I plan on carrying I have to find a smaller gun. I have a Kimber TLE/Rl and am planning on buying an XD9 Bi-tone (maybe on friday! ), but honestly both are too big for me to pack 80% of the time here in Texas.

I started playing with the KAHR PM9. Its tiny! Yet it seems like it would be very controllable, its very small, weighs next to nothing and fits my hand right. I konw 9mm isn't the best cartridge in the world for this but its a polymer frame so I figure 9mm loaded correctly will get the job done.

So share your experience with the KAHR PM9 or KAHR products in general. The PM9 ain't cheap so  I want to know if its a quality piece before I buy.

BTW I did do a search. I'm wondering if there's any new experience on this.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had my eye on a PM9 for a while now for the same reason.  
Here's a recent thread on Sigforum:
sigforum.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=674608412&f=430601935&m=92160503
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a P40 (not a big fan of 9mm either), and like dwkennedy said, the checkering on the backstrap tears up my hand pretty bad. The .40 is a very snappy round.

I had a Agrip on the gun, works very well, but it tended to peel off from drawing/holstering the gun.

I've since put a Hogue Handall grip sleeve on it. The smallest one adds one finger groove, which can help too.

Its really comfortable.
Good guns. Just make sure you break it in before you carry it. They all seem to be a little tight untill you put a couple hundred rounds thru them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Where in TX are you?  I live in Ft. Worth and have one, so if you are close to there you are welcome to try it out.

Rob
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 4:27:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm small, and I bought the P9 to carry when I'm not in this hellhole (CA).  In my weekly practice, my P9 has never had a jam or misfire, with Winchester white box ammo (Walmart, $10.96/100 rds).  I've loaded it with Federal as well as hollowpoints.  The gun functions flawlessly from the factory.  I've had much more (less complimentary) things to say about my brand new Springfield 1911 LW!!  Trigger feel is just OK - I guess I'm just used to mine now, some friends of mine seem to think it's vague and has too much creep.

Either way, my experience has been positive.  It's easy to strip and even the P9 (slightly heavier than the PM9) is easily concealable on a small-framed-citizen.

If I had the choice, I'd go with the PM9.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Where in TX are you?  I live in Ft. Worth and have one, so if you are close to there you are welcome to try it out.

Rob

I'm in Dallas, near SMU. Might have to take you up on that. Where do you shoot? My AR is getting antzy. Lemme know when you're goin shootin. You can IM if you want. I'm usually on here several times a day.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I carried a G30 for a year before I got my PM9.  Talk about a difference.   The PM9 is very comfortable to wear all day long.  I carry mine in a Comptac Undercover IWB.  

Only complaint is the long ass trigger.  Its not a heavy trigger, just a long pull.  I cant find the reset point on it like I can on a Glock.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I'm in Dallas, near SMU. Might have to take you up on that. Where do you shoot? My AR is getting antzy. Lemme know when you're goin shootin. You can IM if you want. I'm usually on here several times a day.

IM sent.

Robbo  
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 3:07:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a PM9 that I carry off duty since 1/03. Its a great little gun. Easy to shoot and accurate enough to qualify @ 25 yards with no problems.

The molded checkering can be a little rough. The most I've shot in one day is 250 rounds and it left red marks on my hand.

Get the PM9 you won't regret it!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I have had a PM9 for over a year now and carry it every day. I have not had any trouble with the gun or it taking any ammo I stuff in it. I carry it with a IWB Blade-Tech Ultimate Concealment Holster. It is light,reliable and I find it very accurate. I have shot several Kahrs and I stand by them. I have had great customer service when I have called in. I have not had anything that has warranted me sending it in. I have shot over 3000 rounds of misc. ammo and it has worked great. They are a bit spendy but they fit my carry needs. I feel that I can trust my PM9 to be there for me if I need it. I know I have no regrets with mine.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Ditto what the others have said.
I've got around 800rds through mine.
Fmj and jhp of different brands.
No problems at all.

The more I shoot it the more I like it.
And, the more I carry it, the more I like it.

If I've got any room in my pocket at all, I'm packing the PM9.
(No room at all, I've got the P3AT.)

Edited to add:
I'm a skinny guy too, and no one has noticed that I was carrying, when I've had the PM9 in my front pocket.
Well, my wife usually notices, but she gropes me on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a PM9 that I carry in my front pocket when I can't carry my light weight 45.  It is a good little gun and has worked perfectly.  It sure beats a 380 or worse yet a 32.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I like mine a lot.  Actually it's the covert 9, slightly longer barrel for a longer sight radius and more velocity.  It has the same thin profile and short butt that makes it pretty easy to carry concealed (it's the long butt on a handgun that 'prints')

Only bad thing I can say is that the "checkering" on the polymer frame is quite aggresive and starts irritating my hand after 150 rds. or so.  No big deal, wear some thin gloves while target practicing.  I've even read some shooters have smoothed the texture a little with sandpaper.  I prefer to leave mine stock, if the SHTF I won't even notice.

Oh yeah, and they're hand crafted in the USA by Genuine Moonies!!  :)  Not really, but the company CEO is the Justin Moon, the son of the head of the Unification Church, aka The Moonies.  Fantastic little guns.

I always find that tidbit to be amusing. nothing like telling your dad he's nuts.

I have a K9, very nice. it will be my CCW sidearm once i get the little card. never a problem with it that wasnt user related.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top