Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2003 1:56:58 PM EDT
I am really interested in getting a 1911 in 9mm with the idea of eventually using it in the ESP division of IDPA shooting.  My original thought was to build a 9mm upper to put on one of my existing Springfield 1911 lowers.

However, the Star Super B sure looks similar.  Was wondering how similar parts were.  The main things I'd want to change would be the hammer and thumb safety.  Probably want to put thin grips on too.  As for sights, well, that can always be arranged so I'm not as concerned.

Anyway, for $130-150 they sure seem like a great deal.  How accurate are they?

Lot's of questions, and just thinking this may be cheaper than spending $300-$400 on building a 9mm upper.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#1]
They will use the same mags. Sometimes you can get grips to interchange. That's about it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:18:29 PM EDT
[#2]
If you go to www.9mmlargo.com, you will find an excellent resource for Star A, B, and Super and BM models of pistols.  I own a Star and no parts are interchangeble with the 1911.  The Ballister Molina from Argentina does share magazines but not the Star.  The Star is great pistol but parts are easiest to come by.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Star 9mm 1911 clone, and it is incredible how many people want to buy it from me. They like the 1911, but they don't want the high recoil of the .45.

The big downside I have with my Curio one is that it doesn't like hollowpoints. You may want to check that out before you buy.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I guess for $200 or less you just take it for what it is...a great 9mm in the 1911 configuration for not a lot of money.

Looks like I'll be building or buying a 1911 9mm instead.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 9:04:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have a Star 9mm 1911 clone, and it is incredible how many people want to buy it from me. They like the 1911, but they don't want the high recoil of the .45.

The big downside I have with my Curio one is that it doesn't like hollowpoints. You may want to check that out before you buy.

Have you tried hornady XTPs? I have found they work quite well in pistols designed to fire ball type ammo.
Oh yeah, I don't think anything can interchange between the Super A or Super B and the m1911 types.
However the Stars are fine pistols in their own right. A good reload in 9mm Largo can easily top a 9mm Parabellum in power but be careful, it can be rather easy to overload the 9mm largo if you are not careful.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 11:55:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you tried hornady XTPs? I have found they work quite well in pistols designed to fire ball type ammo.
Oh yeah, I don't think anything can interchange between the Super A or Super B and the m1911 types.
However the Stars are fine pistols in their own right. A good reload in 9mm Largo can easily top a 9mm Parabellum in power but be careful, it can be rather easy to overload the 9mm largo if you are not careful.

I was happily surprised to be able to fire Speer gold dot hornady rounds with no jams.  I had heard about hollowpoint problems but glad to have found the gold dots.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Something no one's pointed out yet is that a 9mm upper won't work on a 45ACP frame. The feed ramp is cut differently. You'll need a 9mm/38 super frame for the conversion you're considering.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Something no one's pointed out yet is that a 9mm upper won't work on a 45ACP frame. The feed ramp is cut differently. You'll need a 9mm/38 super frame for the conversion you're considering.

Actually, I don't believe this is correct.  The lower frame is identical but the upper slide, barrel, etc. are all different.  One thing that does need to be done is you have to change the ejector block on the top of the frame.  There is a pin you drive out that holds it, then pull the .45 ejector out (if you were using it for .45acp) and put the 9mm one in, then tap the pin back.

That is my understanding at least.  For instance, if you want to build an entire 1911 9mm from scratch with parts from Caspian, you just buy the 1911 lower frame and make sure to order the 9mm/38super slide.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top