Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2003 12:26:01 PM EDT
A friend of a friend was recently mugged here in our "quiet little drinking village with a fishing problem." She is 77 yrs old and in the typical physical condition that would go with a 77 yr old. She approached me and requested to take my CHL class. We have discussed the pros/cons of revolvers & semi-autos and I do not wish to get into that here.

What I am looking for are suggestions for pistols .380 and above, that have fairly weak recoil springs. I am attempting to narrow down the field of pistols for her to try. She has no problem shooting accurately; it is the hand/arm strength for racking of the slide which is the issue. Thus far the Astra A-100 is the easiest one for her to use.

Please give me your suggestions and do not turn this into a caliber debate!!

Thank you all in advance,
Joel
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Get one of the Berettas or Taurus' with the tip up barrel.  Caliber won't be what your looking for, I don't think they go bigger than .32, but they are definitely easy to operate.  

Racking slides can be tough for those with weakened arm strength.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 12:42:12 PM EDT
[#2]
One of my shooting buddies bought his wife a Bersa .380 and it's turned out to be quite a value. Working ease, easy to maintain, very accurate and inexpensive ($175 NIB at a gun show here). Might want to try that. Also, my girlfriend has a Colt Gov't. model .380 that is quite a "ladies" gun too-all of the aforementioned atributes and looks like a mini 1911 to boot. Other than that, all other .380s I've looked at (SIG, Browning,Beretta and Walther) have "tight" or "stiff" slides-maybe not what an older young lady requires.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Glock 19. In my experience, very easy to operate slide, and not a lot of safeties, etc, for a beginner to learn and remember.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Forgive me for asking but you defeat your own arguement when you say she's got a weak grip & then turn around & say it'll be a semi. Why?

Seems like we all know how easily a mousegun can have a stovepipe, yet you seem to want to refuse the thought of a revolver?
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 4:41:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Forgive me for asking but you defeat your own arguement when you say she's got a weak grip & then turn around & say it'll be a semi. Why?

Seems like we all know how easily a mousegun can have a stovepipe, yet you seem to want to refuse the thought of a revolver?

I agree with BobCole, I think that a small frame double action only type relvolver may be better suited to her. JMHO
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I would also like to suggest a small revolver. I would suggest looking at the Colt D frames and the Smith K frame snubbies. These have relatively large grips and so easy to handle accurately. The manual of arms for a revolver is far simpler than any semi, particularly when things go wrong.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know how well it would "work" but Beretta markets the .380 (86-FS)Cheetah with the barrel that tilts up for chambering, making it at least easier for that operation.
Not too sure about that 1st DA pull though.
Check it out at www.berettausa.com
Good luck on that one...teaching that even when the mag is out, the round in the chamber is still ready to fire.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:55:31 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife is 51, 4'11'' and 128lbs, has had carpul tunnel release surgery in both wrists. She found the Kahr to fit well, easy super smooth trigger and she can rack the slide with out difficulty

Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:35:05 PM EDT
[#9]
One point:
You say she lacks the strength necessary to rack the slide on certain pistols, but wants a .380 or above...

How much recoil can she stand without losing control of the weapon, should she ever have to use it? The LAST thing she needs, is to lose control of it on the first round, and then end up needing a second.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:55:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I agree with everyone else, she needs a revolver.  I recomend the S&W 640.  If she insists on a auto, and if it is in her price range the HK USP 9mm Compact is easy to operate and easy to rack the slide.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I agree whole-heartedly that a revolver would be in her best interest in this case.  However, she flatly refuses that option at this time.

IOW, she's an ignorant stubborn female. 'Nuff said.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 3:01:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree with a "Revolver".   All .380 semi's have strong recoil springs ,thus are pretty hard to pull the slide back.  May I suggest a .22 mag. revolver from Taurus like the 941 with a 2 in. barrel.
I think .22 mag. hollow points are good rounds and the 77 yr. old can still handle it reasonably well..
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#13]
S&W Model 60......
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 7:58:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
A friend of a friend was recently mugged here in our "quiet little drinking village with a fishing problem." She is 77 yrs old and in the typical physical condition that would go with a 77 yr old. She approached me and requested to take my CHL class. We have discussed the pros/cons of revolvers & semi-autos and I do not wish to get into that here.

What I am looking for are suggestions for pistols .380 and above, that have fairly weak recoil springs. I am attempting to narrow down the field of pistols for her to try. She has no problem shooting accurately; it is the hand/arm strength for racking of the slide which is the issue. Thus far the Astra A-100 is the easiest one for her to use.

Please give me your suggestions and do not turn this into a caliber debate!!

Thank you all in advance,
Joel

Give the guy a break he asked for HELPFULL suggestions
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Give the guy a break he asked for HELPFULL suggestions

So should someone ask what's the best way to stick a sharp stick in their eye, it's best to tell them how to sharpen it? Or is it better to tell them that it's not a good idea?

Granted, he did say she vetoed a revolver but he also didn't say why either. Sounded kinda strange, IMO.

No really jumped his ass but we as gun owners also don't want to see a granny with a semi she can't operate either. I'd say we did the right thing.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#16]

.... but we as gun owners also don't want to see a granny with a semi she can't operate either. I'd say we did the right thing.

No way can I believe that you ment to spout that BULLSHIT.

Who appointed you as the All knowing God of 2nd Ammendment?
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:42:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I agree whole-heartedly that a revolver would be in her best interest in this case. However, she flatly refuses that option at this time. I want to show her what is available in the semi-auto world that she may/may not be able to utilize. I am hoping that once she sees this, she will take my initial advice and stick with a .38 revolver. But if not, then she will hopefully have a semi-auto she can use.

This is the reason in my initial post I didn't want to bring revolvers into the discussion in this forum.

The semi-autos I have in the safe to show her are:
Beretta 92
Glock 19
Walther PPK
Astra A-100
Sig 225
CZ-50
HK USP-C
HK P7
Keltec P-32
Makarov
Kahr K-9
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd go with your Glock 19 (my first suggestion to you) or the Keltec P-32. Most .380's, being straight blowback, have heavier springs and are harder to rack the slide. I'd say go with one of the locking barrel variants instead of a straight blowback.

That said, my wife has a Walther she really likes. I don't like it, it recoils too much, and the shape of the grip eats up my hand. However, I'm not the one shooting it, she is. She's very accurate with it and likes it. Good enought for me. While not a granny yet, she's 47 years old, and 5'2". After years of training horses and dogs, she has a pretty firm grip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top