Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2003 10:39:59 AM EDT
Im in the market for a "reasonably priced" (cheap) 1911.  So far im looking at the Norinco, Rock Island, Charles Daly, and the standard Springfield.  Im looking for a full size, all blued model that will be used mainly as a plinker, but might later be upgraded.  With these models mentioned which would you choose?  Which has a good track record of reliability?  Which model offers itself to be upgraded later the easiest?  Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Out of those choices, I'd go with the Springfield.  Great pistol out of the box, and upgradeable to the high heavens (though you probibly wouldn't have an issue pimping out any of them).
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#2]
The Springfield is far and above the other choices you listed.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 6:33:34 PM EDT
[#3]
You'll not likely find Norinco's for sale anymore.

I'd suggest avoiding the Charles Daly's as every one I've seen was literally falling apart while shooting.

I own two Springfield 1911s.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I have heard that the Rock Islands aren't bad for the money. I would probably take the Springfield first. I don't own either. So I can't give a very good opinion.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd probably go with the Springfield MilSpec, though if you have a C&R you can get nice Colt Systemas for less than $300 from JLD Enterprises.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 6:40:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'd probably go with the Springfield MilSpec, though if you have a C&R you can get nice Colt Systemas for less than $300 from JLD Enterprises.

For the money, or a little more, I'd much rather have a brand new MilSpec than a 50 year old Sistema that's clapped out or close to it.

I own a couple Sistemas and they've needed some major parts replacement to bring them up to par.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 7:25:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Springfield = made in Brazil. I hate to say it, but I too would recommend the Milspec Springfield over the others listed.  

A friend of mine recently bought the Springfield, I was amazed that it worked right out of the box. I was expecting all sorts of stove pipes, not a one yet.

I owned a Charles Daly Semi Auto Shotgun. POS, broke 1st day out pheasant hunting. Would never buy another gun from them again.

I could be wrong but I believe both the Charles Daly & the Rock Island are made in the Philapians(sp) by the same company.

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 7:39:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Springfield, hands down!
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 8:01:22 AM EDT
[#9]
and yet another vote for the Springfield.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Okay Tackdriver,
Here's my 2cents.  I've "heard" good things about the Rock River.  That's not worth very much, I admit.  There are a LOT of people in here who swear by their Springfields.  I've got one.  It has been a problem child from day one.  Great looking pistol (stainless, "Loaded" model), but it has always been tempermental about it's ammo.  It went back to Springfield once for a "reliability package" and a trigger job.  It does have a very nice trigger, but it has never been particularly reliable.  It isn't very accurate either.  I did some bench shooting with it on Saturday.  My best group was 3.25".  This was with a 975ft/sec 200 gr. Hornady handload.  My worst groups (the majority) with hardball were too big to measure (5", 6", 7"!!).  I've had it with this pistol.  It's on the chopping block right now (time to "cull" the herd).  Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention the best part.  This thing creates vicious "stovepipes" every one hundred rounds or so.  Probably a faulty extractor (I say this because I've tried everything else).  At any rate, the jam that results is/was so bad that I had to use my Swiss Army Knife to clear the pistol and a new Wilson Combat magazine ended up in the trash!  One good thing I can tell you about the Springfields, custom gunsmiths will work on them.  Bill Wilson says he will in his cataloge, etc...  You'll probably NEED these guys if you buy one!  Good luck, I've decided to take my Colt Gold Cup out of its "cosmoline" long term storage (Originally, I bought it as a "keeper" not intending to shoot it).  
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Springfield.

And they arent made in Brazil. The frames are forged there by Imbel.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 1:47:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Springfield.

And they arent made in Brazil. The frames are forged there by Imbel.

Are you sure about that?

Here is an older related thread at another forum I'm a member of.

forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=57319

As I said before, I was recently suprised how well a milspec variant shot, that some of my opinions have changed concerning Springfield. I still don't like the fact that they are using foreign labor to build the gun.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:24:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a Springfield Milspec that hasn't missed a beat yet.  Probably only about 600 rounds out of her, tho.  I use Chip McCormick mags, and mostly handloads (200gr flat point and 230gr plated round nose) and never had a problem feeding or ejecting... and this is straight out of the box!

I've had two other Springfields through my hands.  Both were ss Loaded models.  One with fixed sights, one with adjustable sights.  The ajustable sight one had a burr on the plug which would occasionally bind on the guide rod, but that was an easy fix.  The other never had a problem.  

Link Posted: 10/15/2003 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Springfield!  Bought mine box stock in the mid 80s, customized it as I could afford it.  18 years later, it is still a tack driver.  
Don't consider anything less, you will regret it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Im seeing a trend towards getting the Springfield or Rock Island.  It also looks like with springfield, just like remington, theres a lot of brand name preference, but you can still get a dud.  That being said im leaning towards getting the basic rock island and upgrading as needed.  I figure if something breaks its just an exscuse to buy higher quality parts.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Curious:  Where would you all recommend purchasing either a Rock Island or a milspec springfield 1911?  Looking forward to your response's  
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:13:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Curious:  Where would you all recommend purchasing either a Rock Island or a milspec springfield 1911?  Looking forward to your response's  

You can get them in Colorado from Jensen's Arms for $379.  Don't know how that compares to other prices around the country.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 12:52:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Go wiht th eSpringfield. Most sites that I have been too that customize 1911's say the best gun to start a project with is a Milspec Springfield.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#19]
If you want a basic mill spec to build up then i would go with springfield.if you want just a shooter for less money i would go with rock island. I have one and love it. one thing to look for on the springfield is the frame, some have Imbel Brazil on the frames and some are made in the U.S. and have NM prefix in the serial number. also the ones with the brazil frames have a two piece barrel.the ones with NM frame does not.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I have the SA 1911A1 and the only mods I've doe to it are walnut grips and a full-length guide rod ($17.50 from DPMS). As far as accuracy goes, I'd be hard pressed to pay $200-$400 more for a "loaded" model (SA or Kimber) when what I have is GREAT. Some people get lemons, but I got a real jewel, I guess. SA gets my vote.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 1:41:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
the ones with NM frame does not.

Not quite true. My S/N has "NM" prefix & it indeed had a two-piece which I quickly junked in favor of a Wilson.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Definatly stay away from charles daly as I have one,barrel bushing had about 11tho. slop in it, had to buy a wilson bushing and fit it myself to get it to shoot deasent. I had an auto ordinance that was a dm good shooter, wish I had it back, and cheap priced. Springfield will be my next purchase.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top