Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2003 3:20:03 PM EDT
On a carry/combat gun, which of these do you prefer?
1. Single side or ambi thumb safety.
2. Mag well funnel or no.
3. External or internal extractor.

Or does it even matter to you?
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I have 1 of each and it makes no matter...what matters is size and weight esp when ccw.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#2]
1. Doesn't matter to me as long as it is an extended safety.

2. I put flat S&A wells on all my 1911's. I have big hands and like the extra length.

3. I've got guns with both and have yet to notice a functional difference.

Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#3]
1. Standard single, non extended...the original basic design works for my needs.

2. A funnel is nice but a chamfered well is good enough without the extra bulk.

3. The internal extractor has 2 less parts that could break and is easily changed if it does without tools...and is a more common part when needed.
Not to mention easier to clean thoroughly as it just slides out.
2 cents from everyone adds up, eventually.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#4]
1. Single side
2. No Mag well funnel.
3. Internal extractor.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 6:50:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
1. Standard single, non extended...the original basic design works for my needs.

2. A funnel is nice but a chamfered well is good enough without the extra bulk.

3. The internal extractor has 2 less parts that could break and is easily changed if it does without tools...and is a more common part when needed.
Not to mention easier to clean thoroughly as it just slides out.
2 cents from everyone adds up, eventually.

Link Posted: 10/13/2003 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Single side...while the stock safety works well, I can live with an extended...but not wider...lever

If I have the carry method for it, (that is, if i don't need the absolute smallest size I can get with the model in question) I do like the funnel. Standing still on a line, there is little difference in mag changes, but try moving, especially in the dark when you can't "look" the mag in and the funnel really works. Remember, sometimes in a fight the only time you will know you are out of ammo is when the slide has locked back.

Internal extractor...same reasons as the others.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#7]
1. I like ambi safeties most of the time.  Some of my guns have them, some dont.  I get them fitted right, with a stiff function so that they cant easily come off safe and I have the right side lever trimmed down to reduce this also.  I can live without them and can effectively manipulate a 1911 weakhanded without one.  Its a love-hate thing.

2. Mag well funnel - Only if its Smith & Alexander.  Its the only solid 1 piece design.        Even the good two piece designs could take a hit and disable the gun on reloads. The new S&A magwells with the beveled sides have me thinking now.  I havent had a magwell on a 1911 since I sold off my comp guns.

3. External or internal extractor - If a smith like Larry Vickers thinks that would be an improvement of the design, this boy listens.  However, Im not losing any sleep over the fact that NONE of my 1911s have them right now.

Link Posted: 10/13/2003 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys.

I prefer a single sided, slim extended thumb safety, though I can live just fine with an ambi.
I prefer to NOT have a magwell funnel.
I agree on the extractors. Either one works for me.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Carry Gun:

Single sided safety
No magwell - dont want it stickin out any more as I am trying to eliminate printing.
Extractor - a 1911 has an internal - thus I like internal.

Other things I like:

Thin grips
NS
FMSH
bobtails
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 6:52:03 AM EDT
[#11]
1. Single side's fine, extended but not widened.
2. No add-on funnel but there's no reason not to bevel the crap out of the magwell.
3. Either extractor, though I think an external one will go longer without needing work than an internal one.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 6:58:17 AM EDT
[#12]
1. Ambidextrous side
2. No magazine well funnel
3. Internal extractor
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top