Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2003 3:47:31 PM EDT
I read somewhere that it's a good idea not to field strip a 1911 after every shooting session. It ever so slightly loosens the slide to frame fit. Just lock the slide back and clean the bore and bolt face. Is this true? How often do you guys field-strip. I just got a new springfield 1911, and want to clean it properly. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#1]
My Les Baer is so tight I just use Kroil and let the crud seep out.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#2]
You're not gonna wear out a Springfield 1911.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Field stripping has absolutely NOTHING to do with slide to frame fit getting loose. There's varying degrees of "stripping" a 1911.

If I just run one box of ammo thru it I just strip the slide down & spray out the frame with Gun Scrub. I do remove the firing pin stop & clean that channel out everytime though.

If I'm shooting 100rds or more, I strip the frame completely down, remove the MSH, sear, trigger, the whole bit.

Only thing better than a clean woman is a clean gun!

Link Posted: 10/12/2003 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't imagine how sliding the slide off the frame would loosen the frame-slide fit any more than shooting full-power .45ACP...
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 1:42:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Depending on useage, purpose or storage, it varies.
For a "range only" gun, I will do bare minimum when in use, a complete tear down before putting it away.
A new gun usually gets a workout to a failure point, dirty, to see how far it can go between cleanings.
When I do a "long term storage" type cleaning, every part comes out and is made spotless.
Gently slipping off the slide can't be as bad as firing it...you may have read that about a "bedded" M-14/M1-A rifle, where some leave it together for cleaning, rather than disturb the bedding.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 8:11:59 AM EDT
[#7]
If it ain't clean I ain't carrying it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top