Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2008 7:48:23 AM EDT
I live in FL and have a friend in VA.
I am traveling up there and he would like to buy one of my firearms.
Can I do a FTF sale under these circumstances?
I am not a dealer nor do I have a FFL.

Please advise, comments, inputs.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 8:02:24 AM EDT
[#1]
why not?
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 8:15:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Because it's illegal. Private parties cannot transfer firearms to residents of another state.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Because it's illegal. Private parties cannot transfer firearms to residents of another state.
yep illegal. But you can bring it to an FFL in his state to complete the transfer legally.
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
yep illegal. But you can bring it to an FFL in his state to complete the transfer legally.

Correct. Only legal way to do it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct. Only legal way to do it.

Shouldn't be too hard to do.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#7]
A good friend can be trusted to keep his mouth shut... when you go to the FFL to transfer it to him.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 7:21:09 AM EDT
[#8]
He could probably be a long term "borrower" of your firearm, but he can't be a "buyer", unless you transfer it to him through a FFL.

It's one of the stupid federal laws that are out there that need reforming, but it is what it is, for now.  Unless state law doesn't allow it, you can sell your gun to a non-prohibited person in your own state, inches from a state border, but you can't cross that imaginary line and transfer ownership, to someone in the next state, unless you go through the ffl.

A lot of these laws are stupid and poorly thought out.  The one that prohibits you from buying a handgun, and taking possession of it, out of state from a dealer, while you're on vacation, etc., is really dumb.  What difference does it make, where you bought it?
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 1:16:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Handgun = NO NO

Longgun is ok for most states.
For instance, some here has said that it is not legal for a Komifornia resident to buy ANY firearm out of state.

For longguns, isnt it ok for BORDERING states, or something like that.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 6:53:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

For longguns, isnt it ok for BORDERING states, or something like that.

Most states allow a bordering state resident to purchase a long gun from a FFL in an ajoining state. Handguns are indeed a no-no w/o doing a transfer.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2008 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#11]
This is outdated info. The Firearm Owner's "Protection" Act of 1986 changed the bordering states law. Now you can purchase a long gun in any state as long as there are not state restrictions (i.e. you are from California) but you can only purchase a handgun in your own state. I suggest you check the BATFE webpage. It lists all this out in plain English on their Firearms FAQ page here:

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faqindex.htm

Specifically:

B. UNLICENSED PERSONS

(B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA? [Back]

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? [Back]

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State? [Back]

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top