Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2003 4:58:41 PM EDT
Ok I scrounged up some play money and here is my new predicament.  I simply can not decide between the Springfield Loaded or Kimber Custom II models.  I have a Bushy, 92FS, and several other firearms and just need a really good 1911 A1 .45 to fill a void in the gun safe.  Between these to autos which is the better gun?  The price is so close it is not really a factor.  I am kind of leaning to the Kimber due to the fact that it is made here in the U.S.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Tough choice. Both are great guns and I like them both. I am a die hard Springfield fan though. Absolutely great guns. Never had a problem with any of the 10-11 I have owned. Should you ever need it, Springfields customer service is absolutely top notch. Springfields are made in the USA. The frames are simply forged in Brazil.

The one thing on Kimbers I dont like, is the firing pin safety.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Some Kimbers use cast parts, I don't know if this model does or not. I'd pass if it does.

Both of my 1911s are Springfields, damn good guns.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 5:09:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I carry a custom shop Springfield Micro Compact every day.  My best friend has a Kimber so I get to shoot that almost every weekend as well...  My vote... Springfield.  The loaded Springfield has an ambi-saftey.. (One that you can work with either hand) right from the factory.  I am not sure what Kimber your looking at, but when I was out shopping, most of the Kimbers would have to go into the shop if you wanted one.  I have also had to deal with Springfields customer service (See the thread on Micro Compact guide rod breakage) and the service was top notch!

Just my .02
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, I thought about all morning and finally went down at lunch and purchased the Springfield Loaded in the blued finish.  I had a Springfield Mil-Spec that held its own quite well so I figure this one should even be a little better.   I was also happy to see that the Loaded comes with two mags instead of one like my Mil-Spec.  COOL!

Thanks for the input..
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Probably a good choice (I was going to recommend the Kimber).  
Are the SA1911's still thicker fatter in the grip area?
Its not much but I know the front strap use to be a little fatter and I believe the dust cover part of the fame was also thicker.  You pretty much had to have them side by side to tell the difference.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Yea it was a tough decision but the dealer gave me a price I couldn’t turn down on the Springfield.  I knew both were excellent choices and I really couldn’t go wrong either way.  I have had good luck with Springfield in the past and that was certainly a contributing factor in the choice too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top