Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2008 11:10:07 PM EDT
I am looking to get my first pistol. Its not for ccw, or home defense. I guess i would classify it as a range gun. I am looking for something reliable and abuse-able (not that I plan on abusing it). I was originally planning on getting a HK USP pistol but because of cost and its lower abuse-ability than the glock, I am straying away for now. I have kind of settled on the options of a glock (17 or 21/21sf) or a Rock Island Armory 1911 Tactical. Most people are bias one way or the other towards glocks or 1911. I guess I see myself having both at some point, but because I am in college thats not an option. Which would you suggest and for what reason.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:39:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I have both a Glock 17 and a S&W 1911.

I would say that you need to pick up the Glock now, and a nicer 1911 later on when you have more money.

The Glock will serve you well and be the "throw around" gun you're looking for, and down the road when you have more cash to spend, you'll get a very nice 1911 that you'll want to take really good care of.

.02 dispensed
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:19:02 AM EDT
[#2]
A revolver is quite stout and easy to shoot and maintain so that is one suggestion to look at.  I would also suggest a Glock 19 or 17 because ammo is cheap and it would be easier to sell if you decided that wouldn't be the route to take.  Lastly, if you rather have a metal framed semi-auto pistol, a Beretta 92F is a good choice also.  Have fun shopping around and be safe.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:03:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:16:19 AM EDT
[#4]
You got wrong info!  The USP is built like a tank!  And my USPf in 45ACP has seen 40K and it even more accurate then when new!
A 1911 can be problematic....hit or miss!  The Glock is probably the best idea!

Quoted:
I am looking to get my first pistol. Its not for ccw, or home defense. I guess i would classify it as a range gun. I am looking for something reliable and abuse-able (not that I plan on abusing it). I was originally planning on getting a HK USP pistol but because of cost and its lower abuse-ability than the glock, I am straying away for now. I have kind of settled on the options of a glock (17 or 21/21sf) or a Rock Island Armory 1911 Tactical. Most people are bias one way or the other towards glocks or 1911. I guess I see myself having both at some point, but because I am in college thats not an option. Which would you suggest and for what reason.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:05:16 AM EDT
[#5]
How 'bout a Ruger P95. They ain't pretty, but mines been flawless for about 10 years and an untold round count. I paid $275 NIB. I still see 'em at gun shows for under $350.
Polymer frame and stainless slide, so I'm not afraid to abuse it  stick it under the seat of the truck and forget about it.

a-bare
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:14:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have both a Glock 17 and a S&W 1911.

I would say that you need to pick up the Glock now, and a nicer 1911 later on when you have more money.

The Glock will serve you well and be the "throw around" gun you're looking for, and down the road when you have more cash to spend, you'll get a very nice 1911 that you'll want to take really good care of.

.02 dispensed

From what I have read, the rock Island is a solid gun that really can take a beating. I am not into a gun that i will have to polish and pet. This article convinced me about the rock island as well as everyone talking them up. http://www.advancedtactical.com/sweeneyarticle.pdf

Quoted:
You got wrong info!  The USP is built like a tank!  And my USPf in 45ACP has seen 40K and it even more accurate then when new!
A 1911 can be problematic....hit or miss!  The Glock is probably the best idea!

Quoted:

From what I understand the USP is a fantastic gun, really well made and built to treat you right, as long as you treat it right. I saw this article and this convinced me to buy the glock over the HK not to mention the price. http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Item

thanks for all of your opinions.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:37:26 AM EDT
[#7]
What about a Hi-Point? h.gif

But seriously I'd probably go with the G19, just in case you ever decide to do CCW.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I have both glocks and 1911's and believe either would suit you well. However I would add that If I was to start over as a new gun buyer would go with a G17 and a S&W 642 revolver as a BUG. After 20 some years and @80 handguns that is where I have ended up.

If you don't like that combo I would say to buy a quality 9mm such as a Beretta, Sig, H&K or another of similar reputation. Find one you like, then buy a second one. Buy a reloader and componants then go have fun.

1911's are cool too if thats what you really want but the cost of a quality gun and ammo is usually higher. They also usually have higher weight and less capacity. I have had some bad luck with them but I have also had some great results as far as reliability goes.

But I believe a 9mm would serve you better at this time.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
From what I understand the USP is a fantastic gun, really well made and built to treat you right, as long as you treat it right. I saw this article and this convinced me to buy the glock over the HK not to mention the price. http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Item

thanks for all of your opinions.

Haha. Don't pay too much attention to that "test". Other's have been done where the HK came out on top. I have three HKs and they are every bit as durable and reliable as a Glock.

That being said, the Glock (17 or 19) is probably you're best choice. They are cheaper which is nice, and they are easy to learn to shoot on. In your shoes I'd go with the G19 and an AA .22lr conversion kit for it. Practice like crazy with the cheap (er) .22 and just a few mags of 9mm each time until youget the hang of the trigger, grip, sight picture, etc...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#10]
from what i have shot, 22 doesnt help getting used to a 9mm or a 45acp. It has no kick and thats a big part of getting used to the pistol.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I would recommend getting a good Ruger Mark II/III bull-barrel, or a Buck Mark. If your eyes are good keep the iron sights. If not the put a red dot on it. Then sign up for a local NRA "Bullseye" league and have a great time...

Since this is your first hand-gun (and every collection should have a reasonable target 22) then you should start with one of those. ESPECIALLY since you are not planning to use it for self defense/CCW. Have fun
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like you're looking for a Glock 17 or 19 to me. You can always add a Advantage Arms conversion kit for cheaper practice.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I shot a Glock 17L a few weeks ago and it was an amazing shooter, especially since I'm not typically a combat plastic fan.  It was well balanced and had amazing accuracy.  This said, I prefer to shoot 1911s when given the choice.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:39:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I would have to agree with the Glock votes. 17 or 19 would serve your needs.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Just got a XD in 9mm love it. Check them out they are a cross between a 1911 and a glock IMHO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top