Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2003 4:17:57 PM EDT
I've aquired a 1911-A1 its been in a box for 15 years. Its a Springfeild standard parkarized.
anything I should be concerned about?

also, where can I download a 1911 manual, non PDF format?

TIA
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine is almost that old and has been perkin' along ever since new. (series '90)
It has the lanyard loop and the park is still nice.
Some folks are concerned about the 2 piece barrel SA uses...I'm still waiting for mine to come apart or become inaccurate, no such luck!
That's a great "base gun" to start with or go wild with custom parts.
Most gunmakers will send a manual to you upon request, you may also try that route for an original one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd do a reat detailed strip cleaning & lube before I shot it. Since it was sitting so long, chances are the oil has evaporated off of the internals.

A patch or two down the bore wouldn't hurt either, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I was planning on taking it down and cleaning it real good but I don't know how to take it apart.  Thats why I need a manual.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#4]
www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/

Download one.  The 1911 is a marvel of simplicity.  If a trog like me can regularly strip and maintain one, you can.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh, yeah, a new recoil spring probably wouldn't be a bad idea either. Factory setting is 16/17 lbs & cost is only $10 or so. Cheap insurance against a cracked frame, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Lucky Lucky man! How much??? or was it given to you?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#7]
It was given to me

Link Posted: 10/9/2003 1:05:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Or clean it the redneck way.

Get a can of WD40, spray it down & shoot it.

Always a good idea to make sure the bore is not obstructed though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top