Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2003 12:34:10 PM EDT
Does anybody know what the law is in Virginia as to having a handgun in your vehicle? Going there this weekend and want to be legal if I can help it. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#1]
It will probably vary from county to county. State law permits overt carry.  At one time, it was illegal to carry a loaded gun in your car in Culpeper Co., even though state law allowed open carry. It was disguised as a law to prevent people from poaching animals.  The law has since been rewritten to permit carry.  The state permits open carry in your vehicle.  Northern Virginia probably has local ordinances as well.  Before I got my concealed carry permit, I carried my gun right on my front seat.  I got some weird looks by police during routine road checks, but never got in any trouble. I actually had one deputy attempt to unload my cocked and locked 1911, and he couldn't figure out how to operate the gun. The grip safety was giving him fits; it was a scary moment for everyone involved.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Open carry is fine as long as it is in plain sight. If it is concealed, it cannot be readily available to anyone inside the vehicle. In the trunk is fine. In the glovebox is fine as long as it's locked. You can have it in it's case in the back seat but the case should be locked. I say should because some leo's will consider a firearm in an unlocked case within arms reach to be readily accessible even though it is cased.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#3]
commiegun,

Do you have your NC CCW permit yet? If you do you can carry concealed in VA. If not get it. VA recognizes NC permits and NC recognizes VA now!
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 3:23:44 AM EDT
[#4]
no ccw yet, but I don't feel a whole lot of need for it. I wouldn't mind getting it, just need to brush up on my shooting some. Thats cool that the states recognize that though. thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 7:09:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
"Does anybody know what the law is in Virginia as to having a handgun in your vehicle? Going there this weekend and want to be legal if I can help it."

"no ccw yet, but I don't feel a whole lot of need for it"

You need it! you just don't know it yet.

You don't want to be in violation if stopped by a LEO.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top