Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2003 6:56:35 PM EDT
Just thought I'd post a quick pic of my new Walther P22 I just picked up today. I opted for the 5" barrel version as I prefer the all black versus the black and nickel 3.4" barrel version they also had. Haven't even gotten a chance to fire it yet, but overall, it's very nicely constructed. A little smaller than I first pictured, but then again it is only a .22. I'm fairly new to guns in general, still in the process of building my first AR15. But when I first saw the Walther/S&W P99, I knew I had to have one. But being my first handgun, I figured I'd go with a .22 to start with so I can practice with some cheap ammo instead of just diving into some 9mm or .40 ammo. Besides, that will leave more money (for now) to invest in quite a bit of .223 for my AR! The guy I spoke with when buying the gun said 2 or 3 of the others that worked at his shop also had the same gun and loved it. Anyone else have this little piece? J
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 7:29:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Just thought I'd post a quick pic of my new Walther P22 I just picked up today. I opted for the 5" barrel version as I prefer the all black versus the black and nickel 3.4" barrel version they also had. Haven't even gotten a chance to fire it yet, but overall, it's very nicely constructed. A little smaller than I first pictured, but then again it is only a .22. I'm fairly new to guns in general, still in the process of building my first AR15. But when I first saw the Walther/S&W P99, I knew I had to have one. But being my first handgun, I figured I'd go with a .22 to start with so I can practice with some cheap ammo instead of just diving into some 9mm or .40 ammo. Besides, that will leave more money (for now) to invest in quite a bit of .223 for my AR! The guy I spoke with when buying the gun said 2 or 3 of the others that worked at his shop also had the same gun and loved it. Anyone else have this little piece? J
mysite.verizon.net/vze6kf2w/PICT0002.JPG

These are great guns.  I own a P22 3.5in. and a P99 .40 with the Titanium slide. I would recommend this one as your next pistol....  Very reliable and accurate.  They live up to the years of Walther history and dependability.
I have never heard anything bad about Walther firearms.. Quality,quality,quality....
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#2]
The 3.5 inch barrell version is on my list for my daughter.  They are way cool.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Ive got the short barreled version. Really fun gun.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I had really bad break in with mine.  Had to shoot over 5,000 rounds for it to be reliable.  Now I go thorugh a brick every time i bring it to the range.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine just keeps zippin' right along.  Love it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 3.42" and like it so much I want to shoot it every time I see it.  They seem to be a little ammo picky at first maybe 3-4000 rds then it starts to work better.  I've found winchester wild cats to be the most reliable beside mini mags but they cost too much at $25/500.  The wildcats are about $12 and cycle about %95 where the mini mags were %100.  Stingers and velicitors are pretty cool but after it breaks in these might break it.  The slide is made of zinc but is as strong as aluminum but it would still worry me that these hypervelocity rds may cause damage.  I'm still looking for a cheap laser to mount on the rail which is weaver size.  For thoese looking to customize or that think the grip is unbarebly short check out Earls finger mag extension pricy but really nice.  www.carlwalther.com/p22.htm
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh Recon_Sine if you find the compensator becomes loose while shooting.  Shoot a few mags rapid to heat it up then tighten the set screw on top to align the comp then tighten the bottom allen bolts and it should never come loose again.  Also to everyone the phillips head screw on the inside on the right side will never stay tight unless you use some loctite.  Theres some form of loctite on it from the factory but it dosen't work.  Just make sure you clean the threaded hole of oil and use loctite that will break free without having to use heat.  I've heard there's a form of it called guntite that would/should work well.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Got it to the range for the first time tonight. I must say I love this gun! Gun shop I got it from gave me a few samplings of some high velocity and standard ammo. The CCI stingers and Winchester Wildcats seemed to be the better of the 4 types I tried. Everyone at the range couldn't get enough of it. Of course, with the high velocity rounds in it, the muzzle flash and volume made everyone ask if I was shooting a 9mm or 40cal.
And funny you should mention the comp coming loose. I hadn't really noticed it until I got it home and when I was dismantling it for cleaning. It wasn't flopping around, but it was loose to the touch. It was shooting a bit to the right, and of course I didn't have a flathead screw driver on hand so I had to just live with it as is. Some not so bad groupings came out of the 300-350 rounds I shot through it. Overall, I'm extremely impressed with this little gun. It even gave my father-in-law the bug to get one. J
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#9]
If you guys like the gun now wait until you shoot it with a silencer.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#10]
that's the one I want  
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#11]
These things are fun.  Here's mine all tricked out...

Link Posted: 10/4/2003 7:37:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a 3.5" p22 and was wondering what are the costs involved in getting a silencer for my gun.  I know I have to get some sort of BATF licence, a silencer adapter and the silencer of course.  Give me some info, if you wouldn't mind, on these things.  What types of silencers are good to use with the p22.  I have heard that Gemtech's Outback is good.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#13]
how old does one have to be to purchase a sound suppressor?
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have a 3.5" p22 and was wondering what are the costs involved in getting a silencer for my gun.  I know I have to get some sort of BATF licence, a silencer adapter and the silencer of course.  Give me some info, if you wouldn't mind, on these things.  What types of silencers are good to use with the p22.  I have heard that Gemtech's Outback is good.

I believe you can send the gun in to Gemtech and they will thread the barrel for you and that way you will get a guarantee from them.

The prices go like this:

- Threaded Barrel = $100-$150
- ATF Stamp for Suppressor = $200
- .22 Suppressor = around $350 for a good one

You will have to have an ATF background check done and have an LEO sign off on the suppressor. This will be done on a Form 4 I think... might have the form # wrong.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#15]
For good cheap ammo that works well in the P-22 try the Winchester Dnypoints from Walmart.

They are around $10 a brick.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 10:05:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Damn Frisco, what supressor is that?

How quiet is it?

nice aimpoint :)

-Spaceman

Link Posted: 10/6/2003 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Nice pistols ya'll got there.

I'm thinking about getting one but haven't seen any inthe shops around here yet. Local dealer says he might have two or three coming in after the first of the year.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Damn Frisco, what supressor is that?

How quiet is it?

nice aimpoint :)

-Spaceman

Warrior suppressor (a .223 supressor on a .22)

Pretty damn quiet.  Especially with subsonic .22.

Yes you have to use your off hand to support he supressor, but it's fun.  I was just playing around with the aimpoint.

Frisco,  

I planned to do exactly the same thing with my Warrior.  You are my hero, man.

TRG
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#19]

yea, i thought it looked like a warrior.  what adapter are you using?  it is 1/2 x 28 right?

i am actually considiering doing something similar but maybe with an AAC M4-2000.  i thought i was the only one crazy enough to want to try that.

and i really do like the aimpoint, it is the perfect size for your setup :)

-Spaceman

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 7:37:24 AM EDT
[#20]
You do not have to send you gun to Gemtech to get the threaded barrel.  You can buy the thread adapter for like 30 bucks.  It is made by Walther and screws onto the gun.  Weather or not you know this but when you purchased the P-22 it came with the wrench to screw in this peice.  The Gemtech silencer will run you about 299 and then another 200 to BATF.  Plus about a 6 month wait.  I am not sure of the age limit.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 9:14:02 AM EDT
[#21]
21 is the required age.

Yes, the threads are 1/2x28.

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have a 3.42" and like it so much I want to shoot it every time I see it.  They seem to be a little ammo picky at first maybe 3-4000 rds then it starts to work better.  I've found winchester wild cats to be the most reliable beside mini mags but they cost too much at $25/500.  The wildcats are about $12 and cycle about %95 where the mini mags were %100.  Stingers and velicitors are pretty cool but after it breaks in these might break it.  The slide is made of zinc but is as strong as aluminum but it would still worry me that these hypervelocity rds may cause damage.  I'm still looking for a cheap laser to mount on the rail which is weaver size.  For thoese looking to customize or that think the grip is unbarebly short check out Earls finger mag extension pricy but really nice.  www.carlwalther.com/p22.htm

It was designed as a carry gun and is ment to be used with hyper velocity rounds.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:52:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I would be careful using the super hot loads in this pistol. While attending the last NJ ARFCOM shoot, another member tried some CCI ammo in his P22. I don't remember the name on the box of ammo, but it was black and red labeling. After about 4 or 5 rounds the slide blew off the frame of the gun. It went back together without any noticable damage at the time. The owner was going to send it back to Walther but I never found out what happened. Just a word of caution for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top