Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2008 5:34:08 PM EDT
I am looking at a Davis industires 25 caliber derringer made in Chino CA.  This is a 25 ACP caliber correct?

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am looking at a Davis industires 25 caliber derringer made in Chino CA.  This is a 25 ACP caliber correct?

Now, why would you go and do a thing like that?

It costs more to feed that thing than it does a 9mm.....
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#2]
It should have the caliber stamped right on it.  I've got one in .32 acp and it's got the caliber stamped on the barrels.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Any caliber but .25
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Seriously, the 25 isn't only expensive, but it's arguably worse than the 22LR.  Think again about this purchase.  I remember an episode of Cops were a woman shot her drunk husband in the forehead with a .25. When the cops showed up, there was the bullet, lodged about a quarter inch in the guys forehead, and he was complaining of a mild headache.  I'm not saying I'd like to get shot with one, but they have a notoriously horrible record as man stoppers.  Next, concerning the Davis, every ones entitled to their own opinions, but I'd strongly suggest that you look for a higher quality gun such as the Bond Arms models.  A bit more money, but you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Dad has one of the older Davis derringers in .22 mag. The first one he had, he bought new and it wouldn't reliably fire the bottom barrel. Davis sent him a brand new gun to replace it, and is the one he currently has.

I haven't shot it much, but I was able to reliably hit an empty 12 gauge hull at around 15 feet...but only with the top barrel. The bottom barrel had a significantly different POA/POI and I didn't shoot it enough to figure out how much kentucky elevation and windage was needed.

.25s are crap. People have been killed with them, but it certainly wasn't an instant fight stopper.

Dad worked with a guy who shot himself through the cock with some kind of pocket .25. They referred to him as "peter shooter" after that.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:53:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Dad worked with a guy who shot himself through the cock with some kind of pocket .25. They referred to him as "peter shooter" after that.

Now that is funny, right there!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#7]
height=8
Quoted:
 I remember an episode of Cops were a woman shot her drunk husband in the forehead with a .25. When the cops showed up, there was the bullet, lodged about a quarter inch in the guys forehead, and he was complaining of a mild headache.

In all fairness the same thing happened in the late 80's to one of my Dad's Deputies when he worked for the Houston PD.  The cop pulled over a guy on the road for a minor traffic violation.  As the officer was making his way around the car to check for front plates and a inspection sticker he saw the driver pick up a gun.  The officer shot the guy in the head with a .38 special.  The officer was standing next to the driver's side front tire, and shot through the windshield.  He opened the door and saw blood coming from an entrance wound in the suspect's head.  He went back to his squad car and was calling the shooting in when he saw the suspect get out of his car dazed and confused...he almost wondered into traffic and got ran over.  The officer ran up to the suspect and he was completely unaware of the shooting, or being shot.  He just asked where he was and that he had a splitting headache.  When the paramedics came they rushed him to the ED where they found the bullet never penetrated the skull, it simple sat under the skin.

So it's not just the .25 that this has happened with, but larger calibers too.  In all honesty though, the single shot did exactly what it was supposed to.  It took the fight out of the suspect.  As long as the threat goes away imediately I don't care if he shot the guy and blew his head off, or missed by a mile and made him piss himself and he stopped.  As long as the fight ends immediately the real objective has been accomplished.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:23:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Im not going to buy it.  I was holding it in my hand looking at it.  Sorry for the mix up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top