Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2003 11:35:11 AM EDT
My brother's looking for a snub-nose to carry concealed.  I found him a pretty good deal on a new Model 637, but he really wants a hammerless.  So, I was wondering - how hard would it be to get a bobbed hammer for a J frame.  I found one for an N frame on ebay for $10 (completed auction), but that's all I've been able to find.  I'm thinking it's probably not worth the trouble, but figured I'd see what y'all came up with.  Any info would be appreciated.

(edited out the pic since it turned into a red x)
Thanks,
CR
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:03:06 PM EDT
[#1]
You can order direct from S&W. Not certain they make one of these, but most guys I know just cut / grind it with a Dremel. If it concerns you, let a 'smith do it for you. Do NOT cut springs in these little guns...especially if you bob the hammer!
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I've bobbed the hammer on my Model 29 S&W. It wasnt hard at all. I also filed the single action notch off at the same time and trimmed and removed the grooves from the face of trigger too. If the hammer is case hardened, you will need to "break" it with a file before you saw the hammer off.(I used a hacksaw not a Dremel)Otherwise the saw will just "skip" on the case hardening. Once its off, just file to shape and a little emery work and your pretty much done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top