Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2008 6:50:29 PM EDT
In another thread, I was stating my problems with my Sig P229R in .40S&W. Well, machinisttx let me shoot his, Ruger .22 pistol,  his wife's CZ-75 BD, and a couple of his S&W revolvers. My groups with the .22 pistol were quite good, and my groups with the 9mm CZ-75 were amazing compared to my .40S&W Sig. I even did quite well (relatively) with his .357 revolvers while firing .38 Special. Machinisttx told me he didn't notice anything wrong with my form beside the occasional flinch when firing my .40. Machinisttx fired my Sig and also shot low. So the sights were off.

I went to a gun show yesterday with no money and searched for a straight trade. The first guy thought long and hard when I asked to trade for a Sig P226R, but finally said no. Some of the dealers wanted to pay $350 for my gun, and I thought that was ludicrous. Another guy had an HK P2000 and he looked like he wanted to trade. I had to pass on the DAO trigger.

Basically, the nicer guys didn't have anything that I wanted. However, I found a table in the corner with some older gentlemen sitting there. He had an older, 100% German made Sig P226. After negotiating, he took my P229R with 3 factory mags (he called them "clips") for his P226 with 2 factory mags.

While the finish is more worn and there are more nicks on the slide, the quality of the 100% German gun exceeds that of the German frame and US slide hybrid. All of the parts fit nice and tight. Upon disassembly, I noticed all of the levers and springs were covered in gun powder residue. I don't think the frame had ever been taken apart. I can tell it hasn't been fired a lot because there was no wear on the trigger bars or slide catch bars like on my Sig P229R.

I haven't shot it yet, but I hope to soon!
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#1]

hope you enjoy it and have better luck w/ it
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#2]
While I absolutely hate DA/SA triggers I must admit that one of the absolute most accurate handguns I've ever fired was an old German Sig 226.

I think you are going to like it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
While I absolutely hate DA/SA triggers I must admit that one of the absolute most accurate handguns I've ever fired was an old German Sig 226.

What kind of triggers do you like? DAO blows; you get SA in a DA/SA.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd guess he likes a straight SA pull such as the 1911 has. I'm not fond of the DA/SA trigger autoloaders myself. The transition from the first DA shot to the second and subsequent SA shots requires a lot of practice for proficiency. I want either DAO or SA for a carry gun. DAO guns generally have no safeties and generally will be more like the wheelguns I prefer.

There's really nothing wrong with a good DAO trigger. They can be fired with nearly the same precision as a SA trigger. It simply takes a little more time getting used to. That 4" M66 I brought out is DAO and I managed 4"-6" groups with it at 25 yards before I lightened the trigger. With more practice(or more concentration), I could probably cut that down to 3"-4".

I think most of your trouble with the .40 was that you were flinching. You shot a lot better with the CZ 75 and I didn't see you flinch with it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it's because I'm more of a rifle guy. I like the feel of a SA trigger. I also like the convenience of a DA trigger (for carrying). I don't care for safeties either.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All my autoloaders are SA except for the P3AT, and if someone made a cocked and locked auto the size/weight of the P3AT I'd carry that.

The Sig 226 is a nice gun though, you can feel the quality German engineering as the slide moves. And with modern HP, the performance gap between 9mm and .40 is a lot smaller than it used to be.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:17:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
In another thread, I was stating my problems with my Sig P229R in .40S&W. Well, machinisttx let me shoot his, Ruger .22 pistol,  his wife's CZ-75 BD, and a couple of his S&W revolvers. My groups with the .22 pistol were quite good, and my groups with the 9mm CZ-75 were amazing compared to my .40S&W Sig. I even did quite well (relatively) with his .357 revolvers while firing .38 Special. Machinisttx told me he didn't notice anything wrong with my form beside the occasional flinch when firing my .40. Machinisttx fired my Sig and also shot low. So the sights were off.

I went to a gun show yesterday with no money and searched for a straight trade. The first guy thought long and hard when I asked to trade for a Sig P226R, but finally said no. Some of the dealers wanted to pay $350 for my gun, and I thought that was ludicrous. Another guy had an HK P2000 and he looked like he wanted to trade. I had to pass on the DAO trigger.

Basically, the nicer guys didn't have anything that I wanted. However, I found a table in the corner with some older gentlemen sitting there. He had an older, 100% German made Sig P226. After negotiating, he took my P229R with 3 factory mags (he called them "clips") for his P226 with 2 factory mags.

While the finish is more worn and there are more nicks on the slide, the quality of the 100% German gun exceeds that of the German frame and US slide hybrid. All of the parts fit nice and tight. Upon disassembly, I noticed all of the levers and springs were covered in gun powder residue. I don't think the frame had ever been taken apart. I can tell it hasn't been fired a lot because there was no wear on the trigger bars or slide catch bars like on my Sig P229R.

I haven't shot it yet, but I hope to soon!

Enjoy! You need a CZ next.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:50:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I was actually looking for a CZ-75 SP-01, but those (both of them) dealers would only give me $350 for my Sig P229R...
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was actually looking for a CZ-75 SP-01, but those (both of them) dealers would only give me $350 for my Sig P229R...

That's how dealers work.

Gander Mountain wanted to give me $160 for a Brazilian contract 1917 S&W. I laughed in the guys face.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I think you made a wise choice getting away from the .40S&W and going to the 9mm and trading up to an all German P226 was a damn good trade (and I'm not even a Sig fan)
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I think you made a wise choice getting away from the .40S&W and going to the 9mm and trading up to an all German P226 was a damn good trade (and I'm not even a Sig fan)

Thanks, I was a little reluctant at first. I wonder if that guy is showing off his new P229R to his friends and they're telling him he made a good trade, lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top