Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2008 5:38:06 PM EDT

I don't have any target pics to show, but oh well.  I was just shooting at clay pigeons and a bottle.  I could easily hit small fragments at 7 yards and whole clays easily.  I was also shooting at 28 meters and it took me about a mag to hit a clay but I was at least staying real close around it. I know, some of you guys can hit hair off a fleas butt at that range.  For me, I think it would do for HD and SD.  Now I need a holster.

I didn't like it the first time I shot it but I put that hogue grip on it and it made all the difference in the world for me.  It didn't slip in my hand ONE bit.  From shot to shot, stayed put real nice.  It boggles my mind how manageable recoil is from a pistol that weighs so little.  It's definitely stiffer than my M9 but not as much as my 1911.  I was told that the hogue grip is a crutch for bad grip technique, but I think my right hand fingers just wrap around too far to get a good left hand grip without the hogue on it.  Plus it helps my left palm stay put.  It was very enjoyable to shoot and I am now very fond of it.  It is compact, light and accurate enough for me.  I did have a tenancy to pull some shots low from time to time.  But I'm rusty at pistol shooting and need more practice.

However, there seems to be always some bad with the good.  First thing is I ride the slide stop sometimes with my thumb and twice the slide didn't lock back.  This is no fault of the pistol.  I do it with my M9 too.  However, it doesn't happen with other style pistols. (1911 or Hipower and of course others) I think you just have to train for it or I need to learn to move my thumb away a little or something.  Also, one of my mags will only accept 14 rounds.  Even with a loader I can't squish it down any further.  The other two 15 rd. mags I have are tight but this one seems like it just won't move any more.  Whatever, no big deal.  I need to get a 17 round 17 mag for it too, just to have one.  The pre ban 10 round mag is crap.  The gun store sold it to me for a dollar because they had it.  I almost should've saved my dollar.  I think I can get 7 rounds in it.  Don't know what the deal is there.
ETA: I shot 130 rounds of mostly WWB FMJ but also a few 115 HP UMC's and 147's WWB with no function problems. (besides the slide not locking back twice)

So all in all, I'm real happy with it and will be shooting it more.  But as with my HiPower, the Hogue grip made all the difference.  Even with my 1911 I can hold on to it better with Pachmyrs on it.  I guess I'm just a wimp or something.

Link Posted: 5/26/2008 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Good write up.

I think I am a better shot with my 92F than I am with my G19... but that's only because I've shot the Beretta way more.  That Glock 19 is definitely a smooth piece of machinery.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 6:22:15 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll like it more, the more you shoot it.If you could only have one the 19's the gun.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#3]

congrats on a great firearm

FWIW: during hot days, hard/long time use, and time, the houge grip WILL eventually move around, in so much as rotate around your grip  i'd look to adding some adhesive to ensure it remains "still"
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#4]
The BEST handgun IMO.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

congrats on a great firearm

FWIW: during hot days, hard/long time use, and time, the houge grip WILL eventually move around, in so much as rotate around your grip  i'd look to adding some adhesive to ensure it remains "still"

Thank you.  I'll look into that.  Because with out it, the thing slipped really much in my hand.  I wish it wasn't the case.  Funny thing is when I rented one at the range, It didn't slip as much or at all either.  And it didn't have a wrap around.  I swear this plastic is more slippery than the older ones.  Or something.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 7:43:25 PM EDT
[#6]
yeah - be careful with the Hogue - they have the nasty habit of interfering with the mag release.

Good to see you cross over to the Glock side.  

Put some steel sights on when time / cash allows.  The plastic sights are not durable.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know if I'd call myself a cross over.  But I'll be shooting it more.  I fondled someones XD in 9MM today and thought it was pretty nice too.  

You can see I cut out the hogue to help clear the mag release.  I hope I can make it work, because it sure makes it much more palatable for me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The BEST handgun IMO.

+1

Link Posted: 5/26/2008 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Might want to look at getting a stippling job / grip reduction done on it.  I can't abide the new finger groove models, at least not on the compact frames.  The full sized guns seem like they allow more space between the grooves.

I don't like the Hogues either for a variety of reasons, but if you insist on using it, I've heard hairspray is a good adhesive to use under the grip to keep it from moving around.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 6:00:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Hairspray, that's an idea I might try.  I was thinking I might have to epoxy it to the frame.  That's how much I like it.  I don't know if the finger grooves bother me that much, but I know what you're saying, they are a little closer than the G17.  Meaning the ones on the frame itself.  I know some people make those panels that are adhesive but I don't know if those would fit my bill or not.  I just know I really liked it the way it is right now.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 6:15:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I just sanded the finger grooves off w/ sand paper and it made my g19 perfect for me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#12]
JJ has gone to the dark side .  I'll miss you bro.  You're not going to be e-mailing me about how I'm stoopid for using a 1911 and Beretta and how only true warriors and enlightened people use Glocks are you ?

I wouldn't epoxy that grip to the Glock.  I wouldn't alter it in any way.  This is range session #2 right?  Give it some time and then see what you think.  Even after that, I wouldn't permanently alter the gun in any way.  Just my two cents, since you asked.  To me it would be destroying the firearm and they cost too much for that.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Be careful what you apply to the frame in order to keep the Hogue grip from moving around. One of the guys that used to work for our local police department used some type of chemical adhesive for the same reason and it caused permanent marring on the frame. The pistol is still functional, but is god awful to look at.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 2:47:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice pistol.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 3:47:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
JJ has gone to the dark side .  I'll miss you bro.  You're not going to be e-mailing me about how I'm stoopid for using a 1911 and Beretta and how only true warriors and enlightened people use Glocks are you ?

I wouldn't epoxy that grip to the Glock.  I wouldn't alter it in any way.  This is range session #2 right?  Give it some time and then see what you think.  Even after that, I wouldn't permanently alter the gun in any way.  Just my two cents, since you asked.  To me it would be destroying the firearm and they cost too much for that.

WHAT!?  YOU OWN A GLOCK AND YOU STILL SHOOT THEM OTHER PIECES OF JUNK.  DON'T YOU KNOW YOU'RE GONNA DIE DOING THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  JEEEEEZ!!!

OK, I won't mess up the frame with crap.  I realize plastic is not as durable as metal.  One time I let some gun scrubber get on my Ruger Mk1's plastic grips and one is forever bowed a little.  Ooooops.  Still works though.  Live and learn!
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
OK, I won't mess up the frame with crap.  I realize plastic is not as durable as metal.  

You haven't lived until you have the full Glock 9mm line!!!  Actually, I don't either, but I have 2 G17s, a G19, and a G26.  That's enough for now.  I plan on getting a second G19 before too long.

Anyway, I did want to add, in defense of Glocks, that the plastic frame is often times more durable than steel frames.  It rebounds from impacts that would permanently disfigure and render inoperable a steel frame.

As with all things, you take the good with the bad.  The Glock frame can take some abuse that a steel framed gun can't, but you do have to watch some chemicals around it.  Once scratched up, there's no way to refinish a plastic frame, but depending on the nature of the damage, that can be true for steel frames as well.

I still have yet to marr the finish on any of my Glock slides.  One went skidding across the tile floor from a height of about 6 feet and travelled about 8 feet or so without the slightest blemish.  Not exactly hard abuse, but I try not to abuse any of my guns if I can help it.  My G19 has seen a decent amount of carry time and still looks new.  The frame doesn't have that pristine glow that new frames do, but it has no blems.

All in all, Glocks are good guns and I like them a lot .  
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#17]
How in the world did your Glock drop from 6 feet and skid across the floor.  Were you trying to install a ceiling light fixture with it?  HOHOHOHO

My statement was more about chemical products, but thank you for the tip!  I saw that write up Steve at ADCO did and after throwing one out of an airplane and it still firing, I figured I had to have one.  Because that's like wow and now I can hang with all the cool tactical guys.  .  I like it too.  Maybe I'll get the 34 before you do, just so I can say that I have something you don't.  Or is it the 35.  Whatever.  The one with the long barrel.  Hehehehe.  Actually, I might think about getting one in .45 if I really like this one.

The other thing is seems like after shooting it and dry firing it, the trigger is starting to lighten up.  I thought it was pretty stiff at first.  But it was brand new.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't like mine. Tried for a year. Looking to give it (OD Green frame ) up now for a Kimber Compact.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh yeah, the trigger will lighten up significantly after a bit of use.

I was putting the slide back on and I guess I didn't pull it back far enough.  I went to dry fire it to check function and it launched the slide like a slingshot
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 6:00:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Silly boy!
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I need to get a FEW DOZEN 17 round 17 mags for it too

Fixed that for you.
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Congrats. The G19 is one of the best 9ms out there and the size is perfect for CCW.
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 5:15:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I don't like mine. Tried for a year. Looking to give it (OD Green frame ) up now for a Kimber Compact.

Trade a Glock for a Kimber, that's got bad idea written all over it
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh boo

I say go for it bigsapper
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh boo

Hey, I'm all for the 1911 - just not Kimbers......it's a crap shoot if it's gonna run or not.
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't usually shoot at poop.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I put the same grip on my G19 (and my G35).  Since I put the grip on I've sent about 10K rounds thru it, the grip sleeve hasn't moved.  The hogue grip was definitely the way to go for me, my hands aren't square .
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I put the same grip on my G19 (and my G35).  Since I put the grip on I've sent about 10K rounds thru it, the grip sleeve hasn't moved.  The hogue grip was definitely the way to go for me, my hands aren't square .

Thank you for the back up.  So it hasn't moved on you eh?  Well anyways, I'll I know is it felt waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better in my hand and didn't move.  Whereas before it was.  Same thing happened with my hipower too.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 10:58:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I had the Hogue grip on my G19 for a while then took it off.  I feel the Glock grip is just fine for me.  The Glock 19 is light and I like how it shoots.  I just got a G26 and the jury is still out on how I feel about that pistol as I've not shot it much yet.  The G17 is a classic and the first Glock I shot back in the early 1990's.  Maybe one day I'll get a G17.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#30]
I had a Gift certificate for Gander Mountain and bought a 17 mag and a cheap uncle mikes IWB holster.  Just for the range for now.  I'll get something better later, especially if I go for an out of state CCW.

BUT, one thing is still apparent though, whenever I pick my Glock up after not fondling it in a while, my natural point of aim is for the front sight to be too high.  It usually corrects itself after bringing it up a few times to line up the sights and doesn't feel uncomfortable, but one thing has been certain time and again, that angle is not where my arms and wrists like to be.  It is what it is.  That doesn't make me not like it, but I'm just sayin......
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I had a Gift certificate for Gander Mountain and bought a 17 mag and a cheap uncle mikes IWB holster.  Just for the range for now.  I'll get something better later, especially if I go for an out of state CCW.

BUT, one thing is still apparent though, whenever I pick my Glock up after not fondling it in a while, my natural point of aim is for the front sight to be too high.

The Glock is one of those things that you can accustom yourself to, but it can take some work.  If you move back and forth between Glocks and properly shaped guns, it can throw you off.   I think it's best to stick with one or the other.

Just remember when you have a 1911 or whatever, point the index finger of your gun-gripping hand at the target.  And when you have a Glock in your hand, point your thumb at it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:19:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BUT, one thing is still apparent though, whenever I pick my Glock up after not fondling it in a while, my natural point of aim is for the front sight to be too high.

The Glock is one of those things that you can accustom yourself to, but it can take some work.  If you move back and forth between Glocks and properly shaped guns, it can throw you off.   I think it's best to stick with one or the other.

Just remember when you have a 1911 or whatever, point the index finger of your gun-gripping hand at the target.  And when you have a Glock in your hand, point your thumb at it.

Good tip about the pointing.  I like it either way, but it's worth mentioning.  The glock o philes will tell you that the grip is the most natural for everyone.  I'm hear to say different.  I can see why it has it's upsides, as far as your wrists might be locked better, maybe.  But to be honest, I don't buy into the fact that mine are any more locked on my Glock than they are on my other pistols.  1911, M9 and HiPower.   In fact, I think it may actually cause someone like me to break my wrists forward possibly, because they're already in an un natural forward state.  

Like I said, I like it, and there are certain aspects that make it one of the most friendly packages there are, but sometimes I think I'd be better off with a different polymer type weapon that is more like the others I shoot.  Because I don't dislike them, and I'm not going to quit shooting them.  Semi Rant off.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm clearly part of the 1911 union but I will say that IMO the pointability and grip difference is a non-issue to me.  In some ways I even like that the Glock points high at first since it allows you to more easily find your front sight and bring it in line with the rear.  I'm just a closet Glock fan I guess .  They work for me just as well as my 1911s and shoot just as good -- so I can't complain.

I do find that their larger framed guns are too much for me.  In 45 I haven't found much better than a good 1911.  

Anyway, but I do agree with what you noticed about the wrist break.  I find that sometimes it's easier to limp wrist it and get a casing back in my face because my wrist is bent at more of an angle them I'm used to.  But that's more of a training thing for me.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I'm clearly part of the 1911 union but I will say that IMO the pointability and grip difference is a non-issue to me.  In some ways I even like that the Glock points high at first since it allows you to more easily find your front sight and bring it in line with the rear.  I'm just a closet Glock fan I guess .  They work for me just as well as my 1911s and shoot just as good -- so I can't complain.

I do find that their larger framed guns are too much for me.  In 45 I haven't found much better than a good 1911.  

Anyway, but I do agree with what you noticed about the wrist break.  I find that sometimes it's easier to limp wrist it and get a casing back in my face because my wrist is bent at more of an angle them I'm used to.  But that's more of a training thing for me.

I had to quote this for future reference!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had to quote this for future reference!!

haha - fair enough.  You'll never hear me talk poorly of the Glock system.  Some of the Glock cultist get on my nerves though.

My #1 will always be my Wilson, but I do love my G17, 19, 26, and 20.  I had a 30 and 36 but they never worked for me as well as my 1911s so I ditched them.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:14:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Well it seems like after bringing it up about 2 times I get used to it.  But that very first one is kind of scary.  Because in a gun fight, you wouldn't have 2 pre draws.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:35:34 AM EDT
[#37]
When you are bringing your gun forward to the target, imagine you are trying to stab the target in the eye with your thumb.  This will usually get the gun pointed correctly.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#38]
I'll try that.  Thank You!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh boo

Actually, I just bought a Colt New Agent. Probably going to put a Commander slide on it.

The Glock sold within hours of listing it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh boo

Hey, I'm all for the 1911 - just not Kimbers......it's a crap shoot if it's gonna run or not.

I had a Compact CDP and a Compact Stainless. Both ran 100% in IDPA competition for over a couple thousand rounds each.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top