Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2003 2:36:49 PM EDT
Hi and thanks for looking.
My girlfriend just joined a sorority and they shoot competitively...She needs to buy a handgun, and here is the criteria:

1)Semi-Auto or double-action revolver. 9mm to .45cal

2)Three to six inch barrel

3)No electronic sights

4)Trigger pull no less than two and one-half pounds

5)Weapon must be usable as a standard police duty weapon.

Can anyone recommend something? She's a college student and on a college student budget...lets try to keep it under $1000

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#1]
OK, I'll bite.

HK P7

You can find a used one for around $800

Damn good gun.
Factory trigger is about 4 1/2lbs, as crisp as a custom 1911 trigger. Compact, very accurate, 9mm=cheap ammo.
The grip is small enough for a womans hand.

Link Posted: 9/14/2003 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Has she done any shooting? What type of competition? Bullseye, IPSC Type, IDPA, Etc. I'd recommend a semi auto for any type of "Tactical" competition. A 9mm Glock is pretty soft shooting for a newbie. But is her hand and finger reach large enough for a double stack mag. A single stack .45 is good for most womens hands, but recoil is more of a factor. A revolver is simpler to operate. Hope this helps. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Another thought...a S&W 686 in either 4 or a 6 inch barrel.
She could have the advantage of using .38 special wadcutters in it...very gentle but also very accurate.
Even new, not much over $400.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
She could have the advantage of using .38 special wadcutters in it...very gentle but also very accurate.

Good choice or a Taurus Titanium .357, I'd load it with .38 JHP though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Glock 17.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:20:17 PM EDT
[#6]
damn! what sorority is that and does she have any single sisters?

and i'm seconding the taurus pt111. i really like mine, really good gun.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Glocks and 1911's make up the majority of the feild for pistol competitions. There is a reason why. Low bore axis and short trigger resets allow you to shoot fast and accurate.

Glocks are also very popular for law enforcement.

Wat kind of competitions do they shoot? USPSA/IPSC, IDPA, or just some sort of bullseye.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#8]
police duty?
As in a specific department?
If so, better have her check the list.

With competition in accuracy and without concealed carry and speed in mind, I would go with the 686 also. The 6" barrel might be a bit much weight.

Hard to pic without knowing her personal preference and experience.

I would'nt choose the 686 as a LEO.

I guess from my preference, and I don't know hers, it would be a 1911.

Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy her a Glock 17. Glocks rule the IDPA stock classes. Then buy her a kydex holster and mag pouches from Blade-Tech or Sidearmor.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to be a little different and recommend a Walther P99 which you can get in either 9mm or .40, has interchangable backstraps (3 included) to fit damn near any hand, 100% reliable and accurate.  My wife love the two I have and would probably like it even more in 9mm.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Glock 17

Now about those sorority girls....

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Hi, thanks for all the replies so far...keep them coming...

I just returned from a dealer in town and he suggest the Glock 34 (i think...he said it was a "long slide")...Know anything about that one?

She's not sure what kind of match it is, but she'll ask on the next meeting, and I'll post it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I shoot IDPA with a Glock 34. It is the race gun of the stock service class. I would still go for a 17 as a first gun. Then get her the Advantage Arms .22 LR upper for it. She will be begging you to go shooting. Might even be a good idea for her to shoot her first IDPA match with the .22 upper on the 17. This will ease her entry into the sport.

I attended Gunsite's Masters' 250 pistol class a few years back with a Glock 35 (almost the whole class was custom 1911s). I was the only one in the class to shoot the school drill clean and earned an Expert (E-ticket) rating signed by Cooper.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hi, thanks for all the replies so far...keep them coming...

I just returned from a dealer in town and he suggest the Glock 34 (i think...he said it was a "long slide")...Know anything about that one?

She's not sure what kind of match it is, but she'll ask on the next meeting, and I'll post it.

The 34/35 are the "practical tactical" guns -longer slide is about all that's different. Depending on the person, they might like the longer slide for a better balance.

A $1000 budget is not bad to start with - but its going to depend on the shooting discipline. If she's doing IPSC/USPSA - I think she's about $2000 under budget. The one cool thing I like about IDPA is you can get your whole competion outfit started for under $500.

The bare bones IDPA rig:

S&W 66/686 - $300
Speed loaders - $50
Belt and nyon holster - $50
Eyes and ears - $50.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Actaully $1000 gets you into production or limited class easily.

Depending on the type of pistol matches I would not recomend a wheel gun. Most pistol matches are not very wheel gun friendly. You end up doing a lot of standing reloads.

The Glock 34 is good for just about all pistol matches. The longer sight radius really helps you shoot more accurately.You can shoot the gun in production class, and be able to modify the gun for limited or open class. A lot of room for modification.

My Glock 35 set up for USPSA Limited. It's the .40 version of the glock 34.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Glocks have pretty stumpy grips. I would reccomend you have her hold an EAA Witness in either 9mm or 40cal for the price she can spend 600 on practice ammo.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't think grip size will be much of an issue with her. She holds my ARs, one of which has the G27 grip quite comfortably. But she's rather petite so I think a .357, .38 or .45 would be too much recoil for her. I think 9mm is the best option, but please correct me if i'm wrong.
So don't rule out any guns for grip size...
What about sigs?
The majority seems to like Glock 17...any more opinions on this?

Edited to add: As for the sorority girls, they are all criminology majors, at FSU (MAJOR party school, all the girls gone wild vids are shot there - hehehehe) Furthermore of a incentive for you guys to pledge
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd look at a SIG P228 or P229.

My second choice would be a Browning HP.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I hate to say it but...
With the parameters you've given the Glock 17 would probably work well.
They're very "girl friendly". hty.gif
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#21]
The double action trigger pull of a Sig is not girl/user friendly. You rarely see anyone hit anything with the first round out of a double action auto.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:36:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Ladysmith 9mm or 3913
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:07:25 PM EDT
[#24]
How has this thread gone so long without mention of the Hi Power???!?!?!?!?! (edit: maybe I should have read red-leg's post)

Perfect grip, plentiful cheap hi-caps, and a trigger to rival any 1911 once the mag safety is removed.  If she wants to make it more her own, Cylinder & Slide does greag Hi-Power work.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 2:14:18 AM EDT
[#25]
How about a CZ-75.  They're usually around $400.  For a few bucks more you can get a CZ-85 that has ambi controls and there's even a decocker version out there if you're not comfortable cocked and locked.  Spend another $200 bucks on a GOOD belt, kydex holster, mag pouch, and a couple of extra mags.  Take the remaining $400 and buy ammo and the targets used in her Competition it will get her used to seeing those and where to aim on them.  Good luck.  BTW please give my email to any cute sisters.  Does anyone know a good divorce lawyer?  LOL
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Springfield XD 9mm!
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#27]
compitishon pistol from 9 to 45?  I have only had .22 comp pistols.  But as far as a reliabul pistol she cold us, take her somewher wher you two can rent pistols and try thim out.
My wife liked My sig 229 but was a litel lage for her tinny hands.  She did like the sig 239 which is avalibul in 9, 40,and 357 sig, hers is a forty.  She can shut it as well as anny one and she shot 100% an her CHL test as did the chef of police secritary who was allso using a 239 in 40.  Just our 2 cents, But if you can take her to a range that rents pistols and get her somthing she finds comfortabul.  You may like one thing but if she does not you might as well have just bout you a new pistol!
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 9:10:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good choice or a Taurus Titanium .357, I'd load it with .38 JHP though.

Edited to say the 686 would be a MUCH better choice.

Bullshit. If she's a new shooter a titanium will sour her from shooting for good. I know from experience with my own girlfriend... on a steel framed snubnose. I can only imagine how much worse a titanium would be.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:52:29 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
compitishon pistol from 9 to 45?  I have only had .22 comp pistols.  But as far as a reliabul pistol she cold us, take her somewher wher you two can rent pistols and try thim out.
My wife liked My sig 229 but was a litel lage for her tinny hands.  She did like the sig 239 which is avalibul in 9, 40,and 357 sig, hers is a forty.  She can shut it as well as anny one and she shot 100% an her CHL test as did the chef of police secritary who was allso using a 239 in 40.  Just our 2 cents, But if you can take her to a range that rents pistols and get her somthing she finds comfortabul.  You may like one thing but if she does not you might as well have just bout you a new pistol!

Wow, and I thought I was a bad spellur.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't know about competition shooting, but I take a lot of women to the range, most of whom have never shot before or are afraid of guns.  We usually start with my 686 and some 38 wadcutter.  As the other gentleman said, a very easygoing round.  

Revolvers are a lot less involved than semi autos; less to remember, and no chance of slide bite.

All of these girls had never shot before, and all of them started out on my 686.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#31]
JohnnyEgo,
Did you teach her this?

http://www.geocities.com/virtualmegaotto/firearms/gwgtiff.jpg
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 11:11:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 4:42:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Besides guessing at how much experience she has or what kind of competition, I would take her to a range that rents guns and let her "roadtest" a few, like Boz stated.
Leaving her have input may be more satisfactory than merely handing her what you (we) have chosen.
Now curious to see what she picks and how it works out.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 7:07:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Yes I did, Innocent.  It's amazing what people will do when you ask them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd suggest a CZ 75 compact 9mm, or a Ruger GP 100 .357 as a revolver alternative. Both are relatively cheap at about $300-400, and very reliable, great starter weapons.

Link Posted: 9/21/2003 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

How many of these is she violating? At least two of the three!!!

1. Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

2. Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

When holding a gun, rest your finger on the trigger guard or along the side of the gun. Until you are actually ready to fire, do not touch the trigger.

3. Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

Whenever you pick up a gun, immediately engage the safety device if possible, and, if the gun has a magazine, remove it before opening the action and looking into the chamber(s) which should be clear of ammunition. If you do not know how to open the action or inspect the chamber(s), leave the gun alone and get help from someone who does.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How many of these is she violating? At least two of the three!!!

1. Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

2. Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

When holding a gun, rest your finger on the trigger guard or along the side of the gun. Until you are actually ready to fire, do not touch the trigger.

3. Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

Whenever you pick up a gun, immediately engage the safety device if possible, and, if the gun has a magazine, remove it before opening the action and looking into the chamber(s) which should be clear of ammunition. If you do not know how to open the action or inspect the chamber(s), leave the gun alone and get help from someone who does.

Yeah and she's fugly and has the arms of a rabid chimp.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#38]
1.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
2.  She is posing for a set picture.
3.  She is holding a crossman replica.

I needed a filler picture for the space, and I had that from Halloween.  I think she looks fine, but you are entitled to your opinion.  

I take a lot of people, particularly women, who have never shot before. We go over the rules of firearm safety extensively, and they are followed. That said, I do not berate or brow beat them when they slip up, and I do not dwell on mistakes.  That is why they come again, learn and remember the rules, and become fans of our chosen sport.  

This is the only response I will make to jtw2 regarding the photo you take offence to.  Innocent, your points regarding firearm safety are entirely correct, and I respect them, but I believe you are applying them a bit zealously.  That said, we have strayed well off topic.

Regards,
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
1.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
2.  She is posing for a set picture.
3.  She is holding a crossman replica.

I needed a filler picture for the space, and I had that from Halloween.  I think she looks fine, but you are entitled to your opinion.  

I take a lot of people, particularly women, who have never shot before. We go over the rules of firearm safety extensively, and they are followed. That said, I do not berate or brow beat them when they slip up, and I do not dwell on mistakes.  That is why they come again, learn and remember the rules, and become fans of our chosen sport.  

This is the only response I will make to jtw2 regarding the photo you take offence to.  Innocent, your points regarding firearm safety are entirely correct, and I respect them, but I believe you are applying them a bit zealously.  That said, we have strayed well off topic.

Regards,
[email protected]

(Dude.  It was a joke.)
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#40]
LMAO! I really almost busted a gut when I read this!

Keep the price down...college student budget...

$1000 LIMIT!!!!

OMG! That is so funny! Have her daddy drive his S-Class to the gunstore and buy her a Kimber is my suggestion!  We have a group buy going on right now here at AR15.com if he is not ready to pay full price.

I was going to suggest an XD-9 for someone on a budget but she is not on any kind of budget at all!  Hell, I have thousands in my AR and would not buy a pistol over $1000.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#41]
You know, I was honestly surprised by something on this board when I was reading it.  I know that Glocks dominate the competition shooting field, but with the budget that you gave us and the inferred low amount of shooting experience she has, I would recommend a HK USP to your girlfriend.  The single action trigger pull is light enough to still qualify, and if she dislikes the trigger pull in double-action mode, the gun can be modified to SAO.  In addition, the highly visible external safety (something you won't find on a Glock) will give the new gun owner something that might just save them the dangers of having an accidental discharge.  What really shocked me is that several people were recommending HK P7's, but didn't even mention USP's and USP compacts.  The P7, by no stretch of the imagination, could be called a police department duty weapon, because it is a subcompact concealment piece by it's size.  While it's fixed barrel give it a VERY high degree of inherent accuracy, I'm sure she'll find the USP to be every bit as nice.  In addition, she won't find herself forced to squeeze the grip in order to fire the weapon.  I've fired Glocks, P7's, XD's, and 1911's.  When time came for me to buy my own carry pistol, I went with none of these and bought a USP in .40 S&W.  For her, I would recommend the 9mm, though, because it will be a little more "girl friendly" than a .40.  Then too, you'll find that high-caps are available, albeit a little difficult to find.  In addition, $1000 is more than enough for the pistol and a holster (I recommend FOBUS or Galco) and as many high-caps as her little heart desires, and she'll still have money left over for LOTS of practice ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top