Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2003 10:52:08 AM EDT
I'm putting this in the handguns forums becuase i assume Truck gun means Pistol to most people and not MA-DUECE...
My current "truck gun" is a well used Police trade-in Glock 19 w/ night sights and a full preban mag of 9BPLE 9mm +p+...In a modified Kyldex holster above my visor in my jeep...I bring this pistol into the house every night but otherwise its in the jeep..So my question is: What do you guys and gals use for truck guns?...Where in the vehicle do you keep it?Do you bring it in at night or take it with you whenever your not in the vehicle? Do you prefer one finish over another for rust resistance?..................UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know what kind of neighborhood you live in but around here I would never keep a firearm in my car. Too high of a chance of some kid breaking in for loose change and coming out with a pistol. And ANY chance is too high of a chance.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 11:57:10 AM EDT
[#2]
It will depend on your state laws, but here in Texas it’s illegal to ride around with a handgun in your car/truck (unless you have a CHL that is, or are on your way to/from a range). It’s perfectly legal to ride around with a rifle or shotgun, however. I don’t have a “truck gun”, my 1911 is always on my hip. Although I’ve been thinking about buying inexpensive “compact” shotgun to keep in the back.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 12:09:47 PM EDT
[#3]
OK maybe I should clarify: I Have a valid Va. CCW....the only time this pistol is "unattended" is if I pop in the 7-11 for a pack of smokes or something,And then the doors are locked(I know, A mood point in a jeep!)....If im to be gone longer "shopping" I lock it in the glove box and take it in every night...Maybe still not the best practice but I cant be the only one out there with a "truck gun"
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Goofy, I know, but one of the reasons I got my CCW was because I couldn't bring myself to leave a firearm unattended in the truck but I didn't want to go without either. I'll usually toss (not literally) a carbine behind the seat if I'm heading into the hills and will leave it in the vehicle if I go stomping around in the woods for a bit. Other than that, any guns stay on my person.

I still think about it now and again and would probably look at the new Kel-Tec SU-16 - polymer stock, folds in half for storage, takes AR mags and is about as cheap (if you can find one) as a Mini-14. More accurate, too, I hear.

If I *were* to leave a pistol in the car, it would be for "carjacking insurance" rather than anything for extended and/or distance engagements. The intended purpose would be to buy me time to get to my "normal" pistol or to make tracks enough to get the long gun into action. I'd probably go for cheap and reliable over anything else, since it'd be a "face gun". Maybe the Kel-Tec P32, a Makarov or a used J-frame .32 Mag or .38 Special.

Or maybe a Thunder Five in .45-70 just to see the look on their face.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#5]
when I had my chevy truck I used to keep a SW 3913 stainless 9mm under the drivers seat in a nylon holster ingeniously affixed to the seat.I could grab that gun in no time and get back under just as quick. That weapon took abuse like none other and always never had a scratch on it!It was the perfect size, cheap,accurate,and dependable. Just my 2cents worth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top