Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2003 10:15:05 AM EDT
I have had and used some of the CMC "Shooting Star Tactical" 8 rd mags in the past with pretty good luck. But what do you think of the 8 and 10 rd Power Mags? Aren't these supposed to be a little better quality and perhaps more reliable? I normally carry and use 3 of the Wilson Combat 8 rounders as my standard "on the body" load for my Kimber. But I have considered getting some of these slightly less expensive CMC Power Mags if they work well to use as spares for extra rounds to be carried with me and kept in the vehicle. So how do you like them? Oh, and do they have the removable bases and bottom that will allow easy cleaning?

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 10:24:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I just ordered 2 8 rounders from Brownell's.  If you're a C&R you get their pro-discount.  24 a piece.

My local FunShop wants 31 + tax.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I have 5 of the 8 rounders and 3 of the 10 and have never had a problem with any of them.  I did have to trim the basepad at the top on the 10 rd power mags as my magwell interfered with full insertion. It was an easy fix with a razor knife and sandpaper.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 1:43:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I have two of the 8 rounders and never had a problem with them

But then again, the 7 rounders that came with my mil-spec also have never given me any problems.

I think when it comes to 1911's, its usually the gun, not the mags.  Regardless, the CMC power mags seem to be of quality.  I leave my loaded religiously, and have never had a problem.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 5 Shooting Star mags that I got around 1990 and they have always worked 100% in my Colt, SA and Kimbers.  I got 5 more Shooting Star mags about 6 or 7 months ago and they too work 100% in my 1911 pistols.  Recently I got 5 Power Mags and again, 100% reliable in my 1911 pistols.  I only have experience with Ed Brown 10 round mags and they work 100%.  My friend with Colt 1911 uses CMC 10 round mags and he said they are reliable in his pistol.  I have seen problems (FTF and failure to lock the slide back) with Wilson mags after few months of use and their spring seems to wear out compared to Shooting Star mags.

Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I really like the 8-rounders. I get them from Brownell's for $17. That's $10 less than the  Wilson 47Ds.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#6]
My new favorite mag is the Wilson 8-rd Armor-Tuff #47DCB with low profile steel baseplate ($24.60 from Brownells).

Chip McCormcik Shooting stars have always worked well for me too. But I really like the Armor tuff mag, more so than the Wilson 47D too.

Anyone know where I can get the Wilson steel low profile base pad to replece the plastic base pad on my 47D's?
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought two 10 round Chip M's mags. and have not had a problem with them at all. I was wondering about the Wilson's. Are they worth the extra money?  Are as reliable?
thedr

Link Posted: 9/14/2003 10:45:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Anyone know where I can get the Wilson steel low profile base pad to replece the plastic base pad on my 47D's?

Did you try the Wilson web site? They sell a number of base pads.

www.wilsoncombat.com/store.cgi?&shop=city&Category=10131
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Power-Mags are a definite upgrade from the Shooting Stars and are on par with Wilson.

They come stock with all the Dan Wesson pistols and are just a great mag.

I now use them exclusively and recommend them highly. I even pay for the damn things.

-Z
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Power mags are the best mags on the market. (same as Baer mags) don't buy the 10rds cuz they have that ugly plastic piece that won't allow them to fit in a 1911 with some types of magwells.

For 10rds I would try Kimber's new SS for 8rds the power mags are the best deal and best quality out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top