Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2003 8:16:14 AM EDT
I have a 1911 type pistol, shoots great, is accurate and works fine.
The only problem is it kicks the brass straight back into my face each shot.
Do I need to replace the ejector,or can it be "tweeked"?
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 12:18:42 PM EDT
[#1]
It could be a technique issue.  Stop shooting gansta style from the hip.  
Really I haven't a clue how to solve your problem...  Unless you're shooting gangsta style.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 12:26:46 PM EDT
[#2]
An extetended ejector would fix you right up.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Usually it isn't the ejector, it's the extractor.

It can be "tuned" to prevent this, but the techniques depend on what the problem is, and how it needs to be adjusted.  Too much to post here, and impossible without seeing the gun.

I'd suggest either a qualified pistolsmith, OR spend a few bucks on Jerry Kuhnhausen's book, "The Colt Automatic: A Shop Manual".

This has full details on how to adjust the extractor and if needed, the ejector.
This isn't difficult, but you need to do the RIGHT adjustments or you risk an unreliable gun, or broken parts.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 1:19:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It could be a technique issue.  Stop shooting gansta style from the hip.  

Yo!
Wass up wit dat!
Then I'd have to roll the window down all the way.

Thanks guys, I'll try the extended ejector first, before I go to a gunsmith.
I am quite capable of breaking my own weapons.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Gunslinger808,

My wife's 1911 was doing the same thing. We adjusted the extractor tension and now it works perfectly.

Check out this Extractor Adjusting Tool.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 5:59:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Coyote3,
That adjusting tool is neat, but why bother?  It's really easy to adjust the extractor with the slide and a bit of elbow grease.  

Maybe I'm just cheap.
Scott
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top