Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2002 5:40:28 PM EDT
in the right direction, at least. It's a 4 segment prefrag, but the 45 COULD drive it much faster, safely enough.  The problem then, of course is recoil. This load is pretty close to being all you want to handle in a lw Commander. Another 200 fps, could be added, of course, but that's about it. That would make for 670 ft lbs, tho, instead of 550. Probably a worthwhile improvement for the handloader to undertake. I am not all that thrilled with the RBCD prefrag, because it is intended to turn to dust at impact. While I AM a big believer in the ability of the Temporary Cavity to do actual damage, that is not true below about 2000 fps (the 30 Carbine seems to be marginally able to do this, with a good hp-sp, up very close). I greatly prefer to get the speed up to the 2400 fps of the 150 gr 308, out where the deer actually get HIT, at, say, 100m or so. To attain such speeds and still be controlable in an alloy compact carry gun, the bullet wt has to come down, to about 70 grs. I also prefer for the slug to break into several large chunks, so that the (overlapping) temporary gas-cavities only have to tear tissues that have already been weakened by multiple perforations. Little birdshot pellets don't impress me, and slugs that break into nothing more than iron-filings impress me even less.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 3:02:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Gunkid,

Go home troll.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top