Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2003 2:54:01 AM EDT
LOOKING FOR RECCOMMENDATIONS.  BEST AFFORDABLE COMBAT SIGHTS FOR COLT 1911.  ON A BUDGET.  NEED SUGGESTIONS. CAN'T AFFORD THE TOP DRAWER SIGHTS.  MAYBE SOMEONE HAS UPGRADED AND HAS SOME DECENT SIGHTS THAT THEY WANT TO SELL TO ME.  PRESENT ORIGINAL COLT SIGHTS PROVIDE POOR SIGHT PICTURE AND ARE DIFFICULT TO SEE ESPECIALLY IN LOW LIGHT.  GUN IS NICKEL PLATED.  WILL PARKERIZE AND ADD NEW SIGHTS AT SAME TIME.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 3:01:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Trijicon or Mepro-Lite, both make quality 1911 sights, which will solve your low-lite and night time sight acquisition problems.

BTW, using all caps is commonly considered YELLING on forum boards........

Mike
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 7:53:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't care about caps (but I am not a team member either)

I just saw Novak has a new low mount night sight that is fully ajustable and it will fit Kimber dovetails.

Don't go cheap on sights.  Buy Novak, Bo-mar or MMC.

The real issue hear is what have you got (sight cut you have.)

The cheapest sight is anything that will fit you existing dovetails.

I would ship it to Josh Halfman in Salem OR he will strip the nickle and cut dovetails for cheaper than most.  I think a Bo-Mar cut costs $45.  You may not have to strip the nickle either to cut dovetails that would save you some money too.

Link Posted: 9/9/2003 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#3]
THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE AND THE GREAT INFO.  YOUR WISDOM IS APPRECIATED.  I AM A POOR TYPIST AND STAY IN CAPS AS IT WORKS OUT BETTER FOR ME.  DON'T MEAN TO YELL.  SORRY TO ANYONE I HAVE OFFENDED.  THANKS AGAIN.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 10:57:13 PM EDT
[#4]
First of all, you don't say if you need night sights or not.

Check out Brownells, they'll have exactly what you want & need.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 11:37:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I just saw Novak has a new low mount night sight that is fully ajustable and it will fit Kimber dovetails.

I built a carry gun based on a mil-spec Springfield Armory and I chose the Novak LoMount for it. I was about to build a new one, but bought a Kimber TLE/RL II instead, but I was planning on buying the adjustable Novaks.
So I second GreenO's post.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 11:40:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
First of all, you don't say if you need night sights or not.

For combat sights I would say that night sights is a requirement. But that's my personal philosophy.

Check out Brownells, they'll have exactly what you want & need.
I second that, especially if you can get gunsmiths' discount.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Since you say you're on a budget, check out the King's hardballer sights.  They are drop-in replacements for the stock sights, and provide a good sight picture.   They make several blade styles.  I prefer the black target sights for most of my 1911's but you will probably prefer the 3-dots.  I think they can be had for $20 or so, and you may have to pay a gunsmith $50 to remove the old front sight and stake in the new one.  Here's a couple photos of mine with the black target sights installed.

Link Posted: 9/10/2003 4:07:55 PM EDT
[#8]
If you're working with a standard Colt (as I take from your post) and looking for something inexpensive, Novak's has a "drop in" sight that will fit the standard dovetail. Doesn't look near as pretty as a Lo-mount, but cost is MUCH less 9used to be around $30 in Brownells, or direct from Novak's).

Wilson used to offer a "Combat" drop-in sight. It fit the standard dovetail, and extended over the rear of the slide, and had a large rectangular surface. It worked very well; good sight picture, and extended sight radius by 1/2". Down side was corners were sharp, and needed to be filed round so you don't cut your forarm on them. If not still available, I may have one around if I dig for it.

Personal preference, all my guns now have Novak Lo-mounts. Not inexpensive, but in the long run worth it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#9]
GRATEFUL TO ALL THE GOOD AR15.COM FOLKS WHO RESPONDED.  I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT GOOD EXPERIENCES HERE WITH EVERYONE.  THANKS AGAIN FOR SHARING THE WISDOM AND INFO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top