Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2003 5:53:46 PM EDT
I love 1911's and own two but they're just too heavy to carry here in FL with what I usually wear. Whats the lightest alloy frame full size or commander length 1911? Nothing outrageous in price either. I dont want to spend much over six bills.
Does what I want exist?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 10:19:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Does it exist? Yes. Is it available for $600 NIB? It'll be hard to find, IMO.

Colt used to make a bunch of alloy 1911s, Govt & Commander sized.

SA has made a few but I haven't seen too many of theirs.

Kimber seems to be the biggest maker for what you want. Para Ordnance also makes some but not many.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I recently picked up a Para-Ordnance P-14 has alloy frame and is full size. Weight is 31oz. I haven't carried it, it shoots very well. Price used like new was $500. including tax. Check one out if your interested. Your price may very.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 1:54:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Springfield 5" Loaded lightweight that I love!  Save the extra cash, it's worth it.  Steel 1911s feel like a brick to me after packing this thing for six months.  And, it shoots very well.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 4:05:35 AM EDT
[#4]
captainpooby;

Look for a Kimber Pro Carry in SS.(No, I don't really like SS all that much, but we DO live in FL!) I have a Series I that I paid about that price for in like-new "used" condition...MUCH nicer than a standard Commander and much more accurate out of the box. Alloy, Commander size frame uses standard mags but barrel is 4in. rather than the 4 1/4in. of the Colts. Don't know what the new ones run, but I prefer the Series I anyway. You can find 'em if you look around some.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 4:20:24 AM EDT
[#5]
You might want to look at the Colt Defender.

Model  O7000D  
Name  Defender  
Frame material  Aluminum  
Frame finish  Stainless steel slide / Teflon coated receiver  
Barrel length  3"  
Overall length  6¾”  
Caliber  .45 ACP  
Capacity  7 + 1  
Hammer  Combat  
Trigger  Black anodized aluminum  
Action  Single  
Front sight  White Dot  
Rear sight  White Dot  
Grips  Wraparound Hogue  
Grip safety  Beavertail  
Thumb safety  Standard  

Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:05:33 AM EDT
[#6]
The Defender is a nice piece.  If I were in strictly 1911's I definitely would own one.  I have a S&W 945 which also has an alloy frame.  Very similar to the 1911 though not as tight on my hand because of about a 3 degree difference in the grip angle.  

Another good one is the S&W Chief Special CS45.  In the 1911 camp, Springfield makes several Micro Compacts with at least alloy frames.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 4:12:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Springfield Compact LW. Alloy frame, 4" bull barrel and slide (no bushing to worry about), weight 25oz empty. Officer's length grip, Wilson makes a 7 round mag for total 7+1 capacity. Loaded version with extended safeties and real Noval Lo-mount night sights have a dealer cost around $550. Kiesler's Wholesale usually has stock, have your dealer contact them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Springfield Compact LW. Alloy frame, 4" bull barrel and slide (no bushing to worry about), weight 25oz empty. Officer's length grip, Wilson makes a 7 round mag for total 7+1 capacity. Loaded version with extended safeties and real Noval Lo-mount night sights have a dealer cost around $550. Kiesler's Wholesale usually has stock, have your dealer contact them.

DITTO! I own a Springfield Compact LW and it is a joy to shoot and carry concealed.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Kimber makes a basic 4" alloy framed piece suitable as a foundation. Its not a light weight commander but priced where you want to be. All black is o.k. if the black slide is stainless under. Non stainless slide is not optimum here in florida under a 't' shirt.Also, their barrels are not stainless - just save a few more bucks and get a light weight commander and enjoy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top