Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2003 9:42:06 PM EDT
anyone have a good .357 load they use for hog?
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 5:48:43 AM EDT
[#1]
anything hot and fast man

I'd go with a 125gr fmj going as fast as you can push it.  You NEED penetration if you're dealing with big hogs.  If you're talkin about little feral pigs, they're somewhat softer... a good 125gr HP should do the job.  

OR... a lot of hunters like using the 180gr jobs... big, heavy hitting slugs.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 7:27:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Look at a good 158gr, JHP or even SP if you have 6in. or more of barrel. Many are using the 180gr. stuff, but I have no experience with it.

Most experienced hog killer I ever knew used a Ruger Single six in .22LR! His catch dog would hold the hog and he stepped up (danced up is probably more appropriate...Ha!) stuck the barrel in the hogs' ear and POW...fresh meat!
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Look at a good 158gr, JHP or even SP if you have 6in. or more of barrel. Many are using the 180gr. stuff, but I have no experience with it.

Most experienced hog killer I ever knew used a Ruger Single six in .22LR! His catch dog would hold the hog and he stepped up (danced up is probably more appropriate...Ha!) stuck the barrel in the hogs' ear and POW...fresh meat!

You are correct about putting the gun up close to the hog when you have a good catch dog.  At close range, you have to worry about overpenetration injuring a dog.

If you are going to shoot them on the run, then load something fast and hot.  Less lead on the run to calculate.

I would recommend something that expands.  Larger wounds through the lungs tend to put them down faster.  The heart is too low, and buried behind a massive shoulder and cartlidge layer.  Lungs and spine are where I try to hit.

If you are not using a rifle, your chance for a large, massive and bleeding, exit wound are reduced.

I use 135 grain rounds in .40, so almost anything in .357 should meet or exceed what I am using.  

TRG
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 9:50:07 AM EDT
[#4]
www.georgia-arms.com/power.htm

Georgia Arms makes a 158 grn "Deer stopper" round that should be sufficient to stop a hog.  One thing you want something with good knock down power as well as killing power.  Hogs are mean and will come after you.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top