Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2003 10:53:24 AM EDT
I recently moved to a new house.  I installed a home security system about 3 weeks ago.  3 nights ago I went to bed about 4 am after checking (So I thought!) all the doors.  At about 5 am one of my sons came to my room and said that the Police were here.  I got dressed and went down the hallway to his room where there were two sheriff dep.  They asked me if I had heard my alarm go off.  I had not.  They asked me if I had heard them ring the door bell 6-7 times.  I had not.  Turns out they had gotten called by the alarm compnay and had responded to the house.  They then tried the number on the stickers on the window.  I found out later that they were the wrong number for the alarm company.  They had gotten a new one.  The two dep. came in the open door and did a search of the 1st floor, then the basement and had then gone upstairs, where they came to my son's room.  I have since had another "horn" instsalled outside the mastere bedroom.  The dog proved to be a worthless mutt as well.  She did not even know the men were in the house!
 Lessons learned:  1)  Check doors carefully. 2)Make sure that the alarm is loud enough to wake you from a deep sleep. 3) Make sure the @#$#@! alarm company has the correct # on the window stickers. 4) Make sure the alarm company calls the primary # 1st.  I would have heasrd the phopne ring in the bedroom!  I used this as a learning experience and fixed the problems.  Others may not have the police come in first.  BTW seeing two large men in my house at 5am, that I knew nothing about, shocked the hell out of me.  I also switch from my Glock 17 to my G22 as my nightstand weapon. All of a sudden 9mm just did not seem enough.
Stay safe all!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 6:04:52 AM EDT
[#1]
A friend in a less desirable neighborhood found out he was paying for a security service for 7 months and the company had no record on him being a customer.
Maybe just the window stickers saved him, who knows?
He was lucky.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 6:34:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Never sign up with an alarm company that solicits you...
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I would change alarm company's!!! They should have sent out new info immediately after changing numbers! Also it is a good idea to test your alarm every couple of months to see if it patches through to the alarm company!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top