Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2003 10:20:49 PM EDT
Anyone know of any pistols that fit that bill? I'm trying to find my girlfriend a decent purse gun and want it to be really safe and really ready so these are my requirements.

Link Posted: 9/2/2003 10:41:28 PM EDT
[#1]
no
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#2]
As a revolver you really don't need a manual safty. The gun will not fire unless the trigger is pulled. As a double action trigger it will be long enough and heavy enough to offer a decent margin of safety. She could also keep it hammer down on a empty chamber, though I do not feel that is nessasary.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 7:30:03 AM EDT
[#3]
A revolver, with a safety?  

I have not seen a revolver with a safety.

AS for the 'empty chamber' I would advise you to get a gun with a transfer bar under the hammer.  this will allow you to keep it hammer down on a full chamber.  Some of the compact revolvers only have 5 cylinders.  Unloading one brings her down to only four shots, with a poor chance for her to reload under stress.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#4]
make sure she can pull the trigger on the revolver before you buy it.  lot's of these little guns have too heavy a trigger to be operated by someone with weak hands
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 8:13:52 AM EDT
[#5]
S&W used to make a .38special snubby with a safety.  It had a raised squeeze panel on the back of the grip.  Good luck in finding one!
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 8:58:58 AM EDT
[#6]
buy her pepper spray instead, assuming that neither one of you know anything about handguns...
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#7]
wow.. i've gotten way too gun happy.. didn't even think about pepper spray.. was way too excited that after her last attack and being chased around downtown she'd finally agree to carry a gun with her. pepper spray sounds like a better fit since the taser i had her carrying didn't do much.

Where's a good place for some really potent pepper spray?

and not that i don't appreciate random antagonism on a purely intellectual level but Why would you assume i don't know anything about handguns? or are you just being truly outrageous Jem?
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#8]
A friend of mine once had a huge can that would soak someone in seconds.  He bought it from a guy who dealt these type of things.  Although turning a hose of mase on someone is a bit over kill and she'll need another purse to carry it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 10:12:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
wow.. i've gotten way too gun happy.. didn't even think about pepper spray.. was way too excited that after her last attack and being chased around downtown she'd finally agree to carry a gun with her. pepper spray sounds like a better fit since the taser i had her carrying didn't do much.

Where's a good place for some really potent pepper spray?

and not that i don't appreciate random antagonism on a purely intellectual level but Why would you assume i don't know anything about handguns? or are you just being truly outrageous Jem?

Where are you in Texas?
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#11]
this was in downtown dallas.

thanks 308 i just ordered 2 of these: http://www.fdp-spywatch.com/oc17-16.htm

thanks everyone!
she's just too clutzy to carry a gun.. i think this is a much better option

Link Posted: 9/3/2003 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#12]
redjack.....I guess by looking at your first post....hope the pepper spray works for your girl friend...
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Maybe because anyone who knows which end of the barrel the rd comes out of knows there's not been a revolver with a safety since FDR was president? And that one was a grip safety.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 12:39:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe because anyone who knows which end of the barrel the rd comes out of knows there's not been a revolver with a safety since FDR was president? And that one was a grip safety.

Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:51:04 AM EDT
[#15]
hah, is that so?. you guys might want to check out taurus' current line of revolvers. a lot of them feature a safety mechanism..
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 7:08:28 AM EDT
[#16]
that's a "weapon lock".  not a safety.
a weapon lock uses a key to disable the gun.
a safety is a switch that allows the gun to be carried with a lesser fear of accidental discharge.

Link Posted: 9/4/2003 7:13:58 AM EDT
[#17]
you don't think that would have been pertinent to the discussion for the reasons that i'd given above?
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 7:24:29 AM EDT
[#18]
there are NO taurus revolvers with a safety. i own 2. They have a useless keylock that will disable the gun but nothing more.

Revolvers do not have a safety for a good reason. They do not need one.

The only real "SAFETY" is the one between your ears.

mike

Link Posted: 9/4/2003 7:34:38 AM EDT
[#19]
if you mean "really safe and really ready"

no, it's not fast.

let's run down a scenario.

parking garage,  GF is walking to the car.
she sees a strange looking dude walking toward her.  he is closing.  She may make it to the car w/o running but can't get in in time get inside and lock the door.  so she put's her hand in he purse.  and keeps walking.  perp keeps closing, she glances back and he put's his hand in his jacket pocket and takes hold of something.  as she makes it to the door,  he is at the back bumper and says "i'm going to f.ck you up b.tch!".  she pops the lock and activates her car alarm.  she draws the "weapon" and turns and points it at him.
he looks stunned for a minute and then grins, pulls a knife and says "your not going to shoot me" and lunges at her.  she can fire the pistol, spray him with CS or try to unlock a pistol with a little key she has on her key ring.  she is scared, shaking and not really ready for this.  it's a bad deal but that's life.  so she get's one or two rounds off with the .38 or a quick spray with CS maybe she drops him maybe not.  either way he is at her feet and she must retreat to the front of the car to call 911 on her cell phone.  she may have to shoot or spray again.    

just saying I have tried to use these locks under stress and they are very Very difficult to make work.    

you can make an argument for putting both hands in the purse on the way to the car or brandishing a weapon on the way to the car but the first will leave you vulnerable while you are walking and the latter is illegal.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2003 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#20]
redjack....I hope you are not going to buy her a Taurus and tell her to keep it locked...that doesn't make a lot of sense in a self defense situation..
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Gee, I thought I had ended this thread very early on, and with minimal wordage
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Lumpy;

Short of it being locked, No One ends a thread around here that succinctly! Ha!

Link Posted: 9/4/2003 11:44:48 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
hah, is that so?. you guys might want to check out taurus' current line of revolvers. a lot of them feature a safety mechanism..

I don't know why, but arrogant ignorance cracks me up.

No disrespect or anything my good man, but if anybody knows their firearms it is these guys.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I don't know why, but arrogant ignorance cracks me up.

funny, that's the reason i posted that actually. I posted a simple question and got 2 ppl actually trying to help and the rest telling me i'm an idiot because i wanted something that doesn't seem to exist.. I was trying to find something that contradicted the flat statements of the ppl who were just flaming.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Redjack, I don't think any of us meant any harm. We weren't trying to flame you, if you want to see a flaming ask where you can get a 30 round clip for an AR-15. The reason I thought your post was humorous was because you asked for a very specific type of gun that is not in any type of common use, than asked why people thought you did not know anything about handguns.

As for your pistol question, it is my personal opinion that handguns that require a manual safety are inherently unsafe when compared to those that don't. If only because of the simple fact that without a safety you can not rely on the safety. So if she still wants to carry a gun my advice is to get a small revolver with a covered hammer, buy 300 rounds of ammunition for her, and take her shooting. This type of gun is the ultimate in simplicity, one possible action and that is to pull the trigger, which should be long and deliberate to minimize the possibility of an ND. Don't even mess with the "safety lock" crap, it is just one more wrench in the machinery. Also just tossing it into a purse is an all around bad idea, at least have her put it into a seperate pocket.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 8:21:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Rickyj is right........S&W Model 60 Ladysmith should fit her hand very nicely..........
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I can't recall exactly who makes it but there is a manual safety available for S&W revolvers that uses the cylinder release as a thumb safety.  
Found it:www.tarnhelm.com/murabito.html  This safety fitted to a S&W hammerless or concealed hammer .38 should be just the thing you're looking for.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#28]
thanks.. that after market safety may just fit the bill.

i'm signing her up for the CHL class this week. and will have her trying on guns until her permit comes in. right now she can handle my pt111 well enough to qualify. until then i've got her weighted down with enough pepperspray to fill an olympic swimming pool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top