Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2008 10:59:34 AM EDT
Looked at one today.   Very compact, relatively light, and 10 shots of .45.

Anyone shot one???

Anyone own one???

The mags are interchangeable with the PT 24/7, so that would be kinda cool.  11 rounds in the gun, and then 2 mags on belt with 13 rounds apiece.  Plus I've already got the PT 24/7, so it kinda goes hand in hand.    I'm just looking for something a little smaller than a 1911.

I've got a micro compact, and others already, but the micro is only a 7 shot pistol.

Let's hear your opinions.    Thanks, AK

ETA:  I compared the pistol in question to a Glock 30, side by side, the Taurus is ALOT thinner, and feels a bit better in my hand.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I met a Border Patrol guy at the Camp Allen Range who loved his. Primary weapon for him.

We bought it's little brother, the PT745. Single stack and 1/8" narrower grip.

I wound up being the only person I could find who got a bad one! Many failures to fire. Light strikes. Taurus needed three tries and five monthe to make it right. I moved on to a XD well before that was all over. After they finally fixed it, I eventually traded it because I got pissed at Taurus every time I looked at it. It wasn't rocket science and they really should have fixed it first time out. Instead, the stuff they did do to it made no sense at all that first trip in and they just buggered it up. Good pistol badly serviced.

Now..... That said.
Once it was right, it was a great little 45! I liked the feel of the DA only trigger. Pressure stacks up smooth and you can stage pressure on it and steady up to finish the squeeze. Very accurate. Great ergonomics for our small hands. Comfortable to shoot even for my wife. Great for ball and HP ammo. But it was slightly picky on ammo. It would run terribly on Wolf steel cased ammo. That stuff just burned too slowly for a 3.25" barrel. I'd often get slow/poor cycling and even flames out the ejection port! Yeesh. But with any good brand name ammo, it ran fine.

The folks I have met who owned them, loved them. I am still the only person I can find who got a poor one. Hell, had they fixed it first time out, I'd still have it. But five months is a long time. I bought a XD45 in the meanwhile.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:17:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine also had a problem with light strikes.  I had a friend fix mine for me, now it's much more reliable.

They are fun guns, don't kick bad, and it's nice to have 10+1 rounds of .45 in such a small package.  I carry mine often.

They'll also use Para P-14 13 round mags, which was cool for me, since I have a SA GI Hi-Cap that uses the same mags.

If you get one, mind if you get one with a light rail.  I dunno the details on it, but mine has one, and finding a holster that fit it okay was challenging, and a few holster makers told me 'Those PT145's don't have rails?!'  yeah, some do.  It's the mini rail for those little tac lights SA had out.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#3]
i bought one when they first came out. after i got my money back, i decided to go with a sig p226 and later a BHP.

the frame on the pt145 cracked after about 200 rounds. several folks had this problem. i do believe they have taken steps to correct this by now. luckily my dealer was a nice guy who, upon looking at the frame, gave me a full and instant refund.

i remember thinking the trigger sucked, but i don't recall why i thought that. there was a world of difference in accuracy with the sig. but that may have been me vs. the two different triggers as much as anything at short pistol ranges.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#4]
i've shot one--it handled well, felt pretty good in the hand, but had a cruddy trigger; have not, and will NOT EVER own a taurus auto (maybe besides the PT1911...but i got rid of it also)--just too many problems in the long run imo

the guy's who i shot, well it did run fine--no problems; but, i've heard a few owners on the net w/ reliability probs on thiers

i'd look to a M&P or XD if you are looking for double stacked, really small .45acps (G30 would be my choice though)
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i bought one when they first came out. after i got my money back, i decided to go with a sig p226 and later a BHP.

the frame on the pt145 cracked after about 200 rounds. several folks had this problem. i do believe they have taken steps to correct this by now. luckily my dealer was a nice guy who, upon looking at the frame, gave me a full and instant refund.

i remember thinking the trigger sucked, but i don't recall why i thought that. there was a world of difference in accuracy with the sig. but that may have been me vs. the two different triggers as much as anything at short pistol ranges.

Same thing happened to me.

It shot and handled well, was controllable during rapid fire, and accurate.

Too bad. I hear the newer ones are better.

Link Posted: 4/19/2008 10:35:57 PM EDT
[#6]
The PT145 has amazing potential going for it: Good feel in the hand, 11 rds of .45acp goodness in a small package, carry cocked and locked with restrike capability, and the ability to accept even bigger mag capacities. Unfortuneatly many of the guns just don't live up to the hype including the one I had. Had numerous FTF's with the gun when I got it, sent it back to Taurus, 3 months and many phone calls later I had it back. It did run a lot better but still choked on semiwadcutters + the grip was actually too small and my thumb would want to hit the mag release under recoil...not good. Ended up selling it for a G30. Another point to consider is that for the .45acp round the barrel on the Taurus is really short, resulting in very low velocities. I'd shoot factory ammo that would only register about 550ft/sec on my chrony, some handloads were in the 4's. The G30's slightly longer barrel and polygonal rifling help keep the velocity up. Still if you find a PT145 that runs right and you don't mind the velocity loss you'll have a great CCW piece overall.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 2:28:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I had one and I never had a problem with it. It's been totally reliable from day one.
The trigger was kinda rough out of the box but it smoothed out after a few mags.
Conceals well and holds 10+1 of 45
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 3:42:52 AM EDT
[#8]
The cracked frames are the early models (pre- millenium pro). The new ones addressed the issue. I had a milpro that had light primer strikes (only with WWB) and my dealer was nice enough to replace it. Have absolutely no problems with it, it is rock solid reliable, and the grip feels better to me than any doublestack 45 out there.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 3:44:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Another point to consider is that for the .45acp round the barrel on the Taurus is really short, resulting in very low velocities. I'd shoot factory ammo that would only register about 550ft/sec on my chrony, some handloads were in the 4's. The G30's slightly longer barrel and polygonal rifling help keep the velocity up. Still if you find a PT145 that runs right and you don't mind the velocity loss you'll have a great CCW piece overall.

I got 850 f/s out of mine with DoubleTap 230gr Gold Dots. That's the same velocity as standard loads out of a 5" 1911.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 8:08:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Another point to consider is that for the .45acp round the barrel on the Taurus is really short, resulting in very low velocities. I'd shoot factory ammo that would only register about 550ft/sec on my chrony, some handloads were in the 4's. The G30's slightly longer barrel and polygonal rifling help keep the velocity up. Still if you find a PT145 that runs right and you don't mind the velocity loss you'll have a great CCW piece overall.

I got 850 f/s out of mine with DoubleTap 230gr Gold Dots. That's the same velocity as standard loads out of a 5" 1911.

And the DoubleTap 230gr load is about the only .45acp out there that will reach that velocity. I use that same load myself and in full size guns it will send a 230gr chunk of lead out at more than 1,000fps! But regular defense loads will be lucky  to get in the 700's out of the little Taurus, that's at the edge of reliable HP's opening up. I think the factory load that would only due in the 500's was the Winchester white box 230gr HP's. Another thing to consider is that the DT load is hell on the little Taurus, heck I wouldn't feed a regular 1911 a regular diet of that DT load! It's approaching 10mm power levels.
FWIW I've been having some issues with my G30 as well. I recently got a HK Tactical and love the reliability of the gun, I'm thinking of giving up some capacity and looking hard at a HK 45 compact.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 8:23:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And the DoubleTap 230gr load is about the only .45acp out there that will reach that velocity. I use that same load myself and in full size guns it will send a 230gr chunk of lead out at more than 1,000fps! But regular defense loads will be lucky  to get in the 700's out of the little Taurus, that's at the edge of reliable HP's opening up. I think the factory load that would only due in the 500's was the Winchester white box 230gr HP's. Another thing to consider is that the DT load is hell on the little Taurus, heck I wouldn't feed a regular 1911 a regular diet of that DT load! It's approaching 10mm power levels.
FWIW I've been having some issues with my G30 as well. I recently got a HK Tactical and love the reliability of the gun, I'm thinking of giving up some capacity and looking hard at a HK 45 compact.

Yep, that's why I think anybody that wants to get a 3" 1911 (ala Warthog, etc..) is stupid. I wouldn't carry anything less than DT in the PT145 (3.3" bbl), I think the combo makes a good carry gun. I have put a lot of 230gr DT rounds through my PT145s with no problems. The 165 gr DT screamer rounds are too hot though, and the slide will start peening.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top