Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2003 1:16:18 PM EDT
I've got an opportunity to pick up a Colt Compact 1991A1 for $315.  I seem to remember some talk about the later Colts having reliability problems and I remember some pretty shoddy workmanship in full size 1991's when I worked in a local gun shop.

Visual inspection seems OK.  Gun has had about 50 rds. through it.  Should I go for this or wait, save my pennies and get the Kimber Pro CDP (or some other .45ACP)?
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a helluva good price for a used Colt. Even if you had to pay for some fine tuning, it's worth it.

About the only problem the Compact has is it's recoil spring plug being too fragile, IIRC.

As for quality, or the lack thereof, for Colt, iit's across the board on their 1911 models. There's good & bad in both full size & compacts.

Any idea why the owner is selling it?
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 4:46:38 AM EDT
[#3]
The money saved on the initial purchase price could be used for any upgrades if needed, as noted.
Both of mine worked fine, one threw the last empty into my face all the time, at least it was consistent.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 11:02:29 PM EDT
[#4]
That`s an excellent price! If your not interested, tell us who the dealer is so one of us can pick it up! From shooting mine, I can tell you it has a muzzle flip that`ll take some getting used to. It`s a shame Colt stopped making this version.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The money saved on the initial purchase price could be used for any upgrades if needed, as noted.
Both of mine worked fine, one threw the last empty into my face all the time, at least it was consistent.

At least you had a good indicator as to when you fired the last round.  :D
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input. I just got back from the shop (btw it was Galyan's in Castleton).  Since I signed up for their card I got 10% off and since I bought some accessories I have 1 year same as cash.  

So final tally
I Colt 1991A1 Compact
I Uncle Mike's Holster
2 Extra Mags
1 Mag Holder
500 Rds. Winchester 230 gr.
1 Otis Cleaning Kit

$546.48 including tax.

Being able to blow the holy crap out of BG's:
Priceless
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like you did good!
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#8]
You bum!  Galyans in Castleton is like a 10 minute drive for me.  I had no idea they carried used guns.  Is their .45 ammo priced fairly?
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Seth_Livzz

Win. Q Loads 230 gr. 11.99 for 50. Don't know how that compares to elsewhere.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2003 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Now that I've got the pistol, what custom features will give me the most bang for the buck - tritium sights, trigger work, what?

Link Posted: 9/3/2003 5:47:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I had one and swapped it towards an H&K 40 compact.
The Colt worked ok, but the finnish started coming off after very little use.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I added a new trigger, barrel bushing, and a few cosmetic items.

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=53391&sort=7&thecat=998&password=
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice piece, Lite Work. Grips are pretty, but do they slip?

Finally shot the Colt today.  Grouped real nice and shot to POA.

First thing I'm going to change is the holster.  I was practicing a Concealed Carry Draw (SLOW, till I get it nailed) and three times I had to struggle with the thumbbreak on on the Uncle Mike's.  Suggestions?

Trigger isn't bad, but it'll probably be the first thing I change on the gun itself.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Andrews Leather

I use this holster with the body sheild with my Officers acp and LW Commander and recommend it highly.

Link Posted: 9/13/2003 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Nice piece, Lite Work. Grips are pretty, but do they slip?

Finally shot the Colt today.  Grouped real nice and shot to POA.

First thing I'm going to change is the holster.  I was practicing a Concealed Carry Draw (SLOW, till I get it nailed) and three times I had to struggle with the thumbbreak on on the Uncle Mike's.  Suggestions?

Trigger isn't bad, but it'll probably be the first thing I change on the gun itself.  

Try a Milt Sparks Summer Special II.  The best of the IWB's Also check w/ Brownells the may have one in stock.

Also,  I'm just not happy w/6/7 rounds and schlepping 34+ ounces you can do much better in firepowere per oz it that matters to you.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I was practicing a Concealed Carry Draw (SLOW, till I get it nailed) and three times I had to struggle with the thumbbreak on on the Uncle Mike's.  Suggestions?

Try Fobus paddle holsters, there's no thumb break to fool with, it's a friction fit.

I'd check the gun for bullseye accuracy & then if it isn't damn good, I'd consider a good NM barrel like a Wilson.

My .o2
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 9:08:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Bob you wrote:
"I'd check the gun for bullseye accuracy & then if it isn't damn good, I'd consider a good NM barrel like a Wilson."

Ok, what's good?  First time out I shot a 5" group, rapid fire at 15 yards.  1st round dead center in the X ring.  Is that good enough or should I tweak it more?

Am I wrong in thinking a leather or horsehide holster will be more comfortable than a FOBUS?  Do they make a FOBUS that is IWB?

Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:42:21 AM EDT
[#19]
A few years ago I did T&E on a friend's 1991A1 compact and I have also shot another friend's compact. My opinion? A great gun for the money. If you want a basic pistol it is a good one. Would I buy one for the price you paid? In a heartbeat! In regard to a holster I will second the Milt Sparks Summer Special. Regards, Richard:D
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top