Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2003 5:34:22 PM EDT
Considering the P-22, and wavering about the barrel options.

First consideration...which barrel length, or both?  My first thought was the 5"bbl., since I can always "size down."

Do those P-22 owners with interchangable barrels notice a significant difference in accuracy with the longer barrel?

How much of an issue is it to change barrels?

Do you need to remove the front sight each time?

I remember some feedback on the first batch that they were a little ammo finicky,  I also heard that the mfgr. addressed the issue, and the more recently produced ones seem to gobble up whatebver is fed to them.  Any validity to that?

Any pertinent feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Link Posted: 8/24/2003 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Supposedly the problems were mag related & supposedly that's been fixed by changing mags.

I've read far too many negative owner reviews for me to want to buy one anymore.

My .o2
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a newer short barreled version. It feeds Remington ammo very well, but likes to jam up with the federal bulk pack stuff. Fairly accurate for a plinker
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 10:31:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The only thing that holds on the 5" barrel weight is a tiny tiny screw. Over a short amount of time it loosens and turns into a big hassle. Wish I would have bought the shorter version in the first place.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 10:57:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought the short version 2 months ago and its run like a top. No probs what so ever.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought the long barrel and changed it out to the short. Didn't notice any difference in accuracy out to 25 yards. In fact, I didn't even have to change sights. I don't think I'll ever put the long one back on. Probably sell it or toss it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 6:14:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Get the short barrel. Mine has a little trouble with subsonics, but if you want to shoot those a spring change will fix it. Otherwise it eats everything! My pistol is of recent production and has not let me down at all. Best $249.00 I have spent in a while.

Of course the $180.00 can with the $200.00 transfer tax is another story...

Bob

Link Posted: 8/25/2003 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I am seeing other posts with guns that have a lot of ammo through them, and they seem to be shooting themselves apart.  Still, if you are not expecting target accuracy, it does seem like a cool little gun.  I just can't get past the things I have read lately. I am waiting to see how some of the newer guns bought by guys in here do in the next 6 to 12 months.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I had to dremel my slide a little and retighten all the screws more then once.  I have over 10,000 rounds through mine and it is a little beat up.  It is the shorter version and it is my favorite plinker.  Weird kink with mine is that it now shoots 100 percent reliable with any thing only if the barrell screw is two full turns lose.  If I hand tighten it, it jams.  If I torque it down, it jams.  If I leave it lose and wobleing around it FTEs.  But just two full turns lose and it is flawless.  Weird huh?
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#9]
The 5" barrel isn't anymore accurate

Changing barrels isn't to involved

You can leave the sight on the slide or move it to the false compensator/weight for a longer sight radius.  The weight and sight radius is really all the 5" has to offer.

Get one with magazines that have an "A" suffex after the serial number on the mags they won't have feeding issues.

No the false compensator isn't held by one little screw on the top that is a set screw to properly align the comp.  The two allen screws are what holds it in place.  Some people have had the comp come loose while shooting.  The solution is to shoot a few mags rapid fire to heat it up then tighten it and it won't come loose again.  Becareful not to over tighten though.  I'm going to get one this weekend probably the limited set as nobody has just the short in stock.  Supposedly getting the short then the 5" barrel is cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 8:49:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey Guys just bought one off the boards it came with a second receiver he pruchased in Germany Its Green Military model. I had no idea that Green was here yet.. SO I called Wlather they said they havent made them here yet and you can buy the receiver in German and have it shipped here no problem because the internals have the serial number on them......

Have any of you see the Green military version yet?
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:41:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I like the green frame but I didn't know you could get it seperate or that it's not the serial # part.  Any ideas on cost?  I like the grey also but couldn't justify an extra $100 for the limited kit as I don't think I would use the 5" much.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Bought one, used it, sold it.  Tried several brands of quality ammunition, couldn't get decent accuracy.  FTF about every 20 rounds (different mags).  Last straw was when I had an out-of-battery discharge.  So, let's see - inaccurate, unreliable, dangerous.  Got rid of it.  Too many good quality, reasonably priced .22's around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top