Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2003 5:47:12 PM EDT
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=202353

A .45ACP blew while sitting in the foam 'trays' that the bullets sit in inside the boxes. It was Winchester White Box, which is the same EXACT thing I was shooting, white box .45. The bullet that blew was(luckily) one of the ones in the corner. It blew styrofoam all over and that corner of the tray is missing. There were powder burns all over the carpet mat that sits in the different 'shooting stalls'. We found the fmj bullet laying on the ground back behind the 'stall' and part of the casing which had been blown to pieces. By looking at the primer you could tell that something had hit it and set it off. The only thing that could have hit it would have been an ejected .45 casing. It's hard to believe that would set off the primer though. Kinda scared the guy pretty good, he had styrofoam pieces fly in his face and a nice explosion just to his right.

Lesson learned, keep bullets inside box while shooting instead of just in the styrofoam tray.

Thought you guys might like to hear this.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#1]
where is that icon that says this thread is useless without pics when ya need it.

Link Posted: 8/23/2003 11:48:39 PM EDT
[#2]
tivoli, where in FL did this happen?  Any issues with the range personnel?
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 12:21:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
tivoli, where in FL did this happen?  Any issues with the range personnel?

The range was Shoal River (www.shoalriver.com)
and there is no such thing as range personnel.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 5:32:40 AM EDT
[#4]
That would be quite rare but possible, anything is.
I have thought about it...like a fellow that dropped his press on a tray of primers.
He was freckled with anvils...ouch!
Or the bulk packaged .308s I purchased, loose in a GI ammo box.
More weight, pointy bullets in a tight metal container...I think it's time to repackage 'em.
Respect the primer, they can be very sensitive.
Thanks for the heads up, 410.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 9:24:18 PM EDT
[#5]
i've read a similar post in the last year or so and the guy it happened to apparently got yelled at by the RO for negligent discharge.  interesting phenomonon (?).
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 7:06:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I've had a .45 ACP round pop inside a metal ammo can when the ammo can fell off a bench.  No damage to the can, and a couple of other rounds were dented up pretty good.  The large primers seem to be fairly susceptible to this.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 7:36:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Just never know when you will get a hot primer. Saw a guy pick up a mag he had dropped. The follower had collapsed and when he dumped the ammo one went off. He caught the bullet in his right hand. Only injury was a small powder burn on the left hand at the mag latch hole.

Another guy tossed a round he found on the ground over the berm. We heard it go off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top