Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2003 5:15:51 PM EDT
I am trying to decide between these two models.  The 22/45 is lighter and cheaper.  Is there some advantage to the MkII that I am not seeing?
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never fired the 22/45.  Have seen them  and they look more plastic than the MarkII.  Doesn't mean they aren't as good, I don't know.

I do like my MarkII ever since I installed a Volquartzen extractor.  It never jams and feeds anything I give it.  It is also  a tack driver though I do not use it for bullseye.  Mine is a cool toy with no particular real world function.

Maybe someone else can offer why the 22/45 is equal.

Here is mine:

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:15:41 PM EDT
[#2]
The 22/45 mimics the grip angle and controls of the 1911. Plastic frame.
The MarkII is all metal, has a Luger/Glock grip angle and a Teutonic mag release(bottom of the grip).
I like my 22/45. They both shoot fine.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the exact pistol as jimmybcool without the supressor and it is like he said "A Tack Driver".
I guess it depends what your purpose would be. If shooting target comp. I think you would be better off with the MKII.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#4]
The MK2 has an aweful grip angle. You cant shoot it with a locked wrist. Bad habit.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 3:33:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a MkII.  I just love how many people say that the MkII has a terible grip, and just because it does not feel nice to them, that their word is THE word, and to be taken as gospel.

I am not meaning to slam you directy Combat_Jack, it just that every MkII thread has people say "It has an awful grip", but it is not awful to everyone.  Personal opinion should not be stated as absolute fact.

If its so damn awful, they would stop making it.

I LIKE IT.  Feels good in my hand I and I am very accurate with it.

Feel them both, get the one that feels the best to YOU.  They are both basicaly the same gun except for the grips, and they are both very good guns.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 3:44:58 AM EDT
[#6]
My guess, not gospel, would be the 22/45 frame is much cheaper to mold than the MKII's is to stamp, bend and weld and blue. (unless it's stainless)
So what's left is personal choice.
Myself, opting for steel mainly from the habit of buying MKI's since they were under $100.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 3:58:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Hi Imposter,
I own both, a 22/45 and a MKII Standard Model.  I bought the MKII Standard Model just because it's a classic and looks cool, but the 22/45 is, in my opinion, a much better gun.  It's extremely reliable and is a tack driver (just like they told me it would be in "Gun Tests" magazine).  I've got the stainless bull barrel and can't recommend it to you strongly enough.  I own nine handguns right now from .44 Mag down to .22 and that darn little 22/45 is very close to being my favorite!  All that being said, remember that handguns are the most personal weapon you can own and what's great for me my not be great for you.  if you prefer the grip of the Standard Model then go for it.
Coolio
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 5:56:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Imposter,
I can not think of a good reason to own one over the other accept the grip.  If you prefer one over the other, buy it.  I happen to have four...Two mk 1's and 2 mk 2's...

With a little trigger work, it is my opinion that either gun will perform better than expected.

I personally like the Volqartsen sear and Clark trigger mod...

Also, for convenience, I'd suggest a look at On-Target's trigger group shield to help keep the trigger group free of crud...crud build-up can foul the area and will affect trigger pull.  I also suggest a look at the Ranch Products magazine release extension...a great little item!

Good luck.

VF
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 12:51:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Just a different look than the classic MkII

Mine...
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I have had both, and now just the 22/45. I feel they are both worthy plinkers. I like the 22/45 over the MkII because I like American mag releases, and because I shoot mine ALOT, I like to stick with the same mag release as my carry gun.

Nothing wrong with either...it's really up to you..they are both worth the money..
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Here, let me pose a question for you.

Which is better, small tits or big tits.  If one is better than another, why?

You see my point?

It all comes down to a personal preference.  When debating the merits of two different firearms (especiall as closely related as an MKII and 22/45) it really boils down to personal preference.

As has been noted, both are pretty much exactly the same with the exception of the grip angle and mag release.  They balance differently in the hand, but only you can tell which of the two "feels" better in your hand.

Oh, and BTW - the answer to my question is neither...all tits are good!  
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#12]
former 22/45 owner...unless you know someone that can help you put it back together---DO NOT TAKE THAT THING APART!!!!! 6 months---3 sets of directions, and countless posts to diferent boards and some parts replacement---yes I bent something---I got it back together and traded it away. It is a tack driver and it is good in the hand. But I will be damned if I will keep a pistol that is a puzzle.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
former 22/45 owner...unless you know someone that can help you put it back together---DO NOT TAKE THAT THING APART!!!!! 6 months---3 sets of directions, and countless posts to diferent boards and some parts replacement---yes I bent something---I got it back together and traded it away. It is a tack driver and it is good in the hand. But I will be damned if I will keep a pistol that is a puzzle.

AMEN! Preach on my brother!
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That is the silliest thing I've ever heard of.  Is it difficult? yes.  But if it took you 6 months to reassemble the thing, you've got bigger problems than putting a gun back together.

On topic...
I'd hit a store that has both, and see which one you like better.  personally I can't stand the polymer frame one, and I have a MKII because of it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Get whichever "fits" your hand best. Both use same barrel stock so accuracy is on par, model to model. Be sure and try out a LARGE variety of ammo brands and types as 22's can be very phynyki on what shoots most accurately. One
thing I like about my 22/45 is the short,fat
barrel causes a slight forward weight bias
that helps keep the sights a bit steadier than
the standard light-weight barrel. This 22
is flat-out FUN to shoot!
Regards & Good Shooting  Chuck Hunt
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Regardless of which you get, get the target model of either.  Comes with adjustable target sights and bull barrel.  With a 2x scope you can hunt small game with it to 50 yards with HV hollow points.

As for which one, today I bought another MKII target with 5.5" barrel.  I tried both the MKII and the 22/45, side by side.  With all the different types of handguns that I own, and having owned MKII's for 20 years, I honestly expected to like the 22/45 better.  No way!

The 22/45 felt so top heavy and so different, I could not adjust to it.  I have made custom Walnut grips for MKII's, and I guess I changed the feel so much, the 22/45 was too different.  try both side by side, buy eihter, but the 22/45 is typically $50 less.

Link Posted: 8/21/2003 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#17]
imposter,

Go and get the MKII and be done with it. Believe me you will not be sorry.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 1:15:47 AM EDT
[#18]
I have the 5.5" 22/45

I'm very happy with it. I never like the Ruger MkII's I have shot. the grip angle is wrong for me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 4:18:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Hi Imposter,
I'd agree with most of the comments so far.
Ruger .22's can be tricky to put back together.  I've know several people who have had trouble, including yours truly at first.  But once you get it down you'll be able to do it blind folded.  The most confusing thing about the Ruger lineup is the comprehensive (bewildering) array of configurations.  I'd strongly recommend one with a stainless bull barrel.  4.5" I think is perfect.  And don't make the mistake of judging it by how it "feels in your hand"!  This has got nothing what-so-ever to do with how it feels when you actually SHOOT it!  The bull barrels ALL feel awkward, the purpose of the extra weight is to help keep the muzzle glued to the bullseye - and it works!  I also recommend keeping the price to a minimum.  In my view, the primary purpose of the .22 is in maximizing fun for the dollar.  Unless you're a serious bullseye competitor that is.
Coolio
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 5:39:07 AM EDT
[#20]
silliest thing you have ever heard of,,,well where were you when I was getting so frustrated that I almost threw the damn thing through a wall...where were you when I had three different sets of reassembly instructions memorized, where were you when I put the damn thing in the box because the main spring was bent.....you thing it is silly...well I think a pistol that you have to hold barrell up and them barrel down and then push and then stand on one leg is just fucking worthless....
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 6:02:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
silliest thing you have ever heard of,,,well where were you when I was getting so frustrated that I almost threw the damn thing through a wall...where were you when I had three different sets of reassembly instructions memorized, where were you when I put the damn thing in the box because the main spring was bent.....you thing it is silly...well I think a pistol that you have to hold barrell up and them barrel down and then push and then stand on one leg is just fucking worthless....

I guess I was at my house, taking mine apart, putting it back together, taking it apart, putting it back together, taking it apart, putting it back together.  Oh, and shooting the hell out of it.
Was it a little frustrating the first time or two? Sure.  Did it take me 6 months? hell no.
That six months thing wasn't an exageration?  I figured you were just joking around.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 8:23:09 AM EDT
[#22]
no norman I wasn't joking, I would take it out occasionally and try again...go and print out instructions and learn them and I couldn't get that damn main spring to seat, I know why, I even made tools to try and get that little piece in the right place....but no workee....so I shot my p-89...why couldn't they make them the same way? I even had another person trained on the reassembly and he couldn't get it back together either.....
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for all the input.  I picked up a 22/45 target with 5.5" barrel this afternoon.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the input.  I picked up a 22/45 target with 5.5" barrel this afternoon.

That's exactly what I have.  I'm sure you'll be extremely satisfied and a few months down the road will be looking for an MKII to keep it warm at night.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#25]

no norman I wasn't joking, I would take it out occasionally and try again...go and print out instructions and learn them and I couldn't get that damn main spring to seat, I know why, I even made tools to try and get that little piece in the right place....but no workee....so I shot my p-89...why couldn't they make them the same way? I even had another person trained on the reassembly and he couldn't get it back together either.....

Why do so many people get intimidated by an inanimate object? I offered to put it back together for you when I was in The Big D once, but you bailed for an anime convention.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 10:42:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 8:15:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Can't beleive this hasn't been said yet...

Get both!
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks buddy you are correct buddy, but SHE MUST BE OBEYED>>>>>>>girlfriend wanted to go...
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Thanks buddy you are correct buddy, but SHE MUST BE OBEYED>>>>>>>

I understand, just don't be intimidated by a man-made group of small parts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top