Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2003 9:21:57 AM EDT
Does anyone have any experience with the S&W 1911 pistol?  My dealer had one and I decided to hold it and check it out.  Big mistake, the darn thing would not let go of me!  It's now on layaway and I was just wondering what everyone thinks about them?
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#1]
My initial thought was well made but a bit overpriced. I haven't yet shot one.

I wonder how much the designer of their 945 model is cussing the new model?    
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#2]
had the chance to shoot one at a class early this year, nice. shot better than any other semi from smith. has the external extractor like most of the other more expensive 1911's on the market.
green
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one, and have put a few hundred rounds through it. Paid just under seven. Shoots great, and I like it a lot. It is my first 1911 because I live in Mass, and no other new 1911's (except a $2500.00 SV) are available to us due to our dickhead AG. A pal of mine is a 'smith and also bought one. He took it all apart (of course) and said on the inside it compares favorably with a Kimber.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:39:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I've put about 500 rounds through mine and made a few minor mods (grip panels, grip screws, S&A Magwell, STI trigger). Out of the box it's one of the most accurate 1911's I've ever owned (and I've owned quite a few).

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah,
The new S&W 1911 is a nice piece.  I haven't  heard anything bad about it, would kind of like to have one myself.  The only thing I don't like about it is the "cha cha" graphics.  When are they going to go back to just ROLL STAMPING pistols?  Two other little things; 1) The satin stainless finish mars easily, and once this happens, there's no way to set it back right.  With a brushed stainless gun a few swipes with one of those hard plastic dishpan scrubbers will restore minor abrasions on that kind of finish.  With the satin finish, you're f----d!  2) When you reassemble the S&W 1911 after cleaning, you need to be careful to not bump the grip safety when you reassemble the slide to the frame or the little thingie that actuates the firing pin safety will pop up and prevent you from sliding the slide back onto the frame.
Coolio
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I still like the 945 better, but to each his own.
SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Does this attractive new 1911 from S&W take conventional 1911 magazines or special S&W's mags only?
DavidC has to be IPSC/USPSA. Nice gun.
Edited to add: Looks like a Wilson sticking out the bottom in DavidC's pic.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Does this attractive new 1911 from S&W take conventional 1911 magazines or special S&W's mags only?
DavidC has to be IPSC/USPSA. Nice gun.
Edited to add: Looks like a Wilson sticking out the bottom in DavidC's pic.

The SW1911 takes normal 1911 mags and parts. Only real differences from a military-style 1911A1 are the external extractor and the fireing pin block.

I have S&A mag wells on almost all my 1911's, including the full-size I've carried almost every day for the last 15 years. Like the additional grip length (I'm a big guy).

Shot Ipsc in the late 80's early 90's, to the tune of 4-5 matches every month. Shot about a thousand rounds a week to practice; never got above Class A. Though being able to do that against the likes of Doug K, mattM, etc., was good enough for my aged body at the time

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#9]
IPSC 80's-90's, the crucible for 1911 refinement(as told to me by one of the originals).
The difference between A and Master is barely discernable. I wouldn't want to get on your bad side.
Thanks for the info.Really nice gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top