Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2003 12:54:15 PM EDT
Went to the gun show this weekend and got a heck of a deal on a Springfield micro compact. I was intending to get the ultra compact, but couldn't find one without the ported barrel. So far I've only run about 40 rounds through it, but am very happy with it. No jams or fail to fires, and was dead-on accurate out of the box. Very loud with that short of a barrel though.

It has the O.D. parkerized finish. Is there any particular care to this finish? Should I oil it like a blued or stainless finish, or wipe it completely clean?
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I was told that you should not oil a parkerized finish. Just wipe it down with one of those gun & reel cloths to keep it clean. Go to the Springfield website and ask this question to there tech. support and that way you will get the manuf. recommendation.

Congrats on buying a Springfield!!

thedr
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 5:29:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Even parkerizing needs a protective coating.
Body oils/salts or humidity would "freckle" the finish in a few days time without it.
Treat it as blued and you should be fine.
After a time, normal holster wear on the "high spots" or from handling will appear, that's honest wear, not from abuse or neglect and to be expected.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top