Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2003 11:45:22 AM EDT
.......and I love it! This is my first Kimber purchase and I must say that for an out of the box pistol, these things are sweet. I love the trigger, the sights, and it's fit and finish. This thing looks good and is as smooth as a baby's butt. I will have to wait until I take it out for a day at the range before drawing my final conclusions, but I think it's going to make a great addition in my safe and on my hip. Now I just need some Wilson mags and a good holster. How do you folks like your Kimbers?

This isn't my pistol but this is exactly what it looks like:

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 11:48:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Well since I can never get any image to display besides those damn red X's, here's the direct link to the picture:

www.impactguns.com/store/kimber_customII.html

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#2]
If you like yours half as much as I like mine you will be terribly happy with it. I reload ammo dirt cheap for it and hit where I aim.

Word of warning if your slide spring is the same as on my Super Match. When removing the barrel bushing to field strip, or are replacing the spring be super careful as piece that goes over the spring and rests in the bushing,(don't know the name of the part) can be a deadly projectile when released. The 1st time I tried to put it back together it shot past my head and put a dent in the ceiling before coming to a rest across the room. There should be a warning and a disclaimer on that spring. I've has a couple more accidents since then with that assembly but seem to have it under control now.

If ever in a bind and out of ammo just rotate the barrel bushing for your 9th shot.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 2 Kimbers, the TLE and RCP. I use Wilson mags in the TLE and Kimber mags in the RCP. Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 holsters for both.
I have put over a 1000 rounds through the TLE so far. I used it for 300 round pistol class and it has never had a single glitch. The fit is amazing. I have only put 260 rounds through the RCP, but no malfunctions as of yet. My Kimbers are my favorite handguns.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got the TLE(traded my Springfield Trophy Match for it) and like it alot. The fit ,finish and Tritium sites are great. Smooth action. All the features of those Custom Wilsons & Les Baer's for hundreds less :)
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Is anyone having a problem with Wilson mags in their Kimber?
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Wrong link C_H, you linked the webpage code, you needed to get the properties from the pic on the HTML page......
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:41:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Wilson mags work fine in both of my Kimbers. I used 4 Wilsons for my handgun class and had no problems.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I currently have 3 Kimbers: Ultra Carry, Target and TLE II.  They are all great pistols.  T

he UC is about 4 years old and has just over 5,000 rounds in it. The Target was the first Kimber has it has over 11,000 in past 6 or 7 years.  The most recent purchase is the TLE II and it has just over 3,000 rounds in it in past 2 months.

The UC needed some tweeking to get it to work 100% but the Target and TLE were 100% right out of the box.

I found the Wilson mags to be most reliable in the UC but my Target didn't like the 7 or 8 round Wilson mags.  I would get about 1 FTF out of every 50 rounds of my SWC reloads.  With the 8 round CMC Shooting Star the Target is 100% reliable.  I tried the 8 round CMC Power in the TLE II in the beginning and they worked 100% so I just stuck with them.  

One of my friend has a series I classic and it refuses to feed SWC reloads in Wilson 8 rounders but both Power Mags and Shooting Stars worked great.  

I have some SA and Colt 1911 pistols that work 100% only with the Wilson mags.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2003 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had problems with Wilson mags in both my Kimber Classic Royal (a series I) and in the Kimber Ultra Carry II. We tried a half dozen new Wilson Combat mags in both of them and none worked in either the 7 round or 8 round versions. The problem was that neither would allow the slide to close...both locked the slide up when you tried to move the bullet from the mag into the chamber. The dealer wouldn't believe me, since I had purchased them and tried them at home. When I returned them, they tried them, and all of the magazines they had in stock and NONE worked in the Kimbers for me. bummer!!
RugerCal480 (Mike)
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#10]
 I too have three sizes of Kimbers Custom Shop 1911's in my gun safe. All are from a few years ago but as I can see little has changed. Mine are from the smallest to the full size. The full size is the most accurate and has the best trigger, far and away.

Both my Pro Carry and my Gold Combat function with Wilson mags, in fact I do not own a mag that fails to function in any of my Kimber handguns. At last count I have 15 Wilson mags.

I have witnessed mags that failed and I observed a fool proof method to prove this.

I watched as a man marked each mag with a Magic Marker (1, 2, 3) etc.  Soon we concluded #2 mags was the cause of his fail to function events.

It is required that the same ammo is used in all mags during this test.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#11]
As I mentioned, my problem with the Wilson Combat magazines happened even before they could be fired. I couldn't get the slide to close when trying to release the slide pin, let alone fire it Everytime the slide was brought back it failed to release and close. The magazines had to be released, then the slide closed, with both the Classic Royal and the newer Ultra Carry II.
Ruger
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top