Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2003 10:15:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 11:27:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Wave,

I have seen this happen often, and it is usually the magazines.  Here are the possible causes:

- It might be that you leave your mags loaded which causes the spring to weaken, thus exerting too little force on the last round to make it feed.

- You might have incompatible mags.  One famous case is using Wilson mags with a Kimber pistol.  I dont know why, but I have seen countless times where these two dont get along.  I have called Kimber about this.  They say that their pistols are not designed to work with any other mags except Kimber mags.  Sounds nuts?  Yeah it does to me too.  But I have seen it so much now it barely raises an eyebrow.

- You have a Springfield.  For some reason Springfields have this problem quite a bit on their smaller framed pistols, especially the ported ones.  It is a factory defect.  On one occasion I sent a customer's SF back 4 times....and it still would not lock open on the last round despite using many different mags.  The customer bought a Ruger :(

The simplest solution is most often the right one.  I would think its most likely your mags....weak springs.

R0

PS  OR  you might have Chip McCormick mags...in which case aim them at the nearest trashcan....they are famous for this type of malfunction.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 12:24:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Wilson-Rogers magazines
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 12:34:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Assuming the mags are fairly new and are 8 rounders, it seems strange that all three would exhibit the same symtoms at the same time.
The last round fed is when magazine spring tension is least, so obviously on well used magazines it's even less.
Not knowing how many "miles" are on your mags, you may want to try a magazine from another .45 that is known to work and/or try those 3 mags out in a .45 that has always been reliable.
That may help zero in on the culprit(s).
Good luck on that issue as malfunctions are not a confidence builder, to say the least.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 3:24:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 4:27:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Wave, 'Kings' mags?  Never heard of them.  That is likely a bad thing.  The best mags, by reputation, are the Wilsons, followed by the Chip McCormicks (power mags).  I'd suggest getting a couple of those.  I've used CmC Shooting Star mags with no problems whatsoever.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#6]
The “Kings” would indicate to me the base-plates probably came from Kings Gun Works in California, who knows about the mag itself. Try some Wilson #47 mags or some McCormick Power Mags, either should solve your problem.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2003 9:12:29 AM EDT
[#7]
You have a mag problem. As Lumpy says, invest in some Wilson mags. (try one first.)

I would buy some quality, name brand replacement springs as well in your existing mags, but in the long run you simply cannot beat Wilson .45 mags.

Link Posted: 8/14/2003 5:54:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Mags problem. Either the spring, follower, or feed lips.

Repeat after me.
Wilson mags.
Wilson mags.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 5:08:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Got it ironed out yet, Wave?
Almost forgot about the blackout...when time permits.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#11]
My thoughts- one or both of these probs-

1.  Extractor is too tight.  As this is always happens on the last round in the mag, the mag spring is just about out of ooomph.  If the extractor is too tight, the mag spring can't push the round behind the extractor.

2.  Weak mag springs.

If the mags are new, check #1 above.  If the mags are old, buy Wilson mags.  And you know, of course, that the 1911 was designed for 7 round mags, right?  Ever notice how you have to really push the 8 round mag into the weapon- actually compressing the rounds in the mag?

When I was contemplating buying Wilson 8 rounders, I called them and asked, "How did you manage to put 8 rounds in a 7 round mag?"  The answer was, "We made the follower shorter and the spring smaller.  If you want absolute dependability, we recommend the 7 rounders."

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Ever notice how you have to really push the 8 round mag into the weapon- actually compressing the rounds in the mag?

Nope. Never noticed that. All my 8 round Wilsons were quite easy to load fully, and have ALWAYS been 110% reliable.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 10:53:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Here's a strange phenomenon for me...at 15 feet I actually shoot better one handed than 2. Why is that?

Good deal on the mag fix.
As far as doing better one handed, maybe one hand is fighting the other or maybe it's just stance.
Almost like you need a knowledgable spectator to see what's happening.
At least you are running on all "8" now.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Excellent.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here's a strange phenomenon for me...at 15 feet I actually shoot better one handed than 2. Why is that?

Good deal on the mag fix.
As far as doing better one handed, maybe one hand is fighting the other or maybe it's just stance.
Almost like you need a knowledgable spectator to see what's happening.
At least you are running on all "8" now.

I'm off work this coming Fri. Come on down and we'll go to the range and I'll spot for ya.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ever notice how you have to really push the 8 round mag into the weapon- actually compressing the rounds in the mag?

Nope. Never noticed that. All my 8 round Wilsons were quite easy to load fully, and have ALWAYS been 110% reliable.

Hmmm... they do on mine.

Wave- congrats on the fix.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 6:14:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Wave,

Glad it was something simple!  Those springs should last a few years, I would suspect!

About shooting one handed... I think maybe you're doing something not so good with either your stance or other hand that doesn't affect you when you shoot one handed.

I noticed I shoot a LOT better if I use my weak hand only.  Yeah... SO noticed that at an IDPA match.  One string was six rounds, two on each of three targets, weak hand, single handed.  Those six shots were the most accurate of the whole match!  

Link Posted: 8/22/2003 8:11:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Wave,

Glad it was something simple!  Those springs should last a few years, I would suspect!

About shooting one handed... I think maybe you're doing something not so good with either your stance or other hand that doesn't affect you when you shoot one handed.

I noticed I shoot a LOT better if I use my weak hand only.  Yeah... SO noticed that at an IDPA match.  One string was six rounds, two on each of three targets, weak hand, single handed.  Those six shots were the most accurate of the whole match!  

Better with weak hand, one hand because you know it's your weakness.  So you concentrate more on technique and aim, therefore, better result.  Same thing happened to me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm late, but I had this problem at one time also.

I replaced the spring and it worked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top