Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2003 4:11:29 PM EDT
A week from this Tuesday I’ll be picking up an as-new high-capacity 9mm SIG Sauer P228 – until now, it has been just me and my rifle. I’m so excited for my new family member to come home!

When cleaning my chrome bored and chambered Colt AR-15 I use M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner and Shooters Choice FP-10. I also use Dewey rods and a bore guide. I was hoping to gain some insight as to what other products I might need.

Is M-Pro 7 good for my SIG? Or will I need something more copper specific? Is the FP-10 CLP an acceptable compound, or do I need grease specifically for the rails? Does Dewey make handgun rods and accessories (brushes, loops, and jags)? How about a rod guide – any measures needed to protect the breech and muzzle? Are there any maintenance manuals out there above and beyond the owner’s manual? The P228 is the M11, right? Perhaps there is a military manual for it? Anything else I might be missing? I want to have these goods before I get the gun.

Thank you for any input – it is sincerely appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Did someone say Sig P228???

Did that person say "clean" a Sig??? A Sig does not need to be cleaned, it will always work. BTW, I use Hoppes #9 and I don't know about M-Pro 7, just felt like showin her off.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn you!

I can hardly stand to see it - it's so beautiful!

This is gonna be a long week.  As Tom Petty said, the waiting is the hardest part!
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 6:17:54 AM EDT
[#3]
If you haven't visited my gun cleaning pages, you may find some hints there.

www.geocities.com/kemays/pistolclean.html

I wouldn't worry too much about copper fouling in a pistol.  Most of the time it just doesn't cause that much of a problem, nor build up nearly as bad as some rifles.

The owner's manual probably won't offer much in-depth information on maintenance, but these guns don't require that much.  Just keeping some oil on it is the most important thing to remember.

Your MPro7 and FP-10 should be fine.  You can grease the rails if you want, but you really won't see any noticeable benefits.  I do put a very thin film of grease on my carry gun's slide rails, but this is more to keep oil off my clothes and holster than anything else.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#4]
You picked a nice gun.  I got mine last Friday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top