Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2003 8:07:37 PM EDT
Sorry for the newbie post.  I'll be picking up my 9mm SIG Sauer P228 in 7 days - so very happy!

Until now, it's just been me and my AR-15 and this will be my first pistol.  I shoot IMI M855 through my rifle and was hoping to get some recommendations for my pistol from the folks on my favorite board!

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:34:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Avoid lead bullets & those cheap gun show reloads.

Our sponsor in here, GA Precision, makes damn good ammo.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:02:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Happily, that little Sig will "work" with about anything that you can come up with.
The key on my '94 manufactured one was finding the perfect load that hits exactly where you aim it, that may take some experimenting, maybe even some sight drifting.
I also prefer the 226 mags over the 228's, but that's a personal choice.
Don't apologize for a newbie post, I'm happy with ya!
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Whatever you can get cheap that shoots good.  I've shot almost every different kind of factroy loads through my Glock 19 and there really is little difference between them in my opinion.  The CCI Blazer shot fine but has too much flash and doesn't shoot very accurately through my gun.  The American Eagle, UMC, and Winchester white box ammo seems pretty good.  All about equal in my opinion.  I shoot Wolf occasionally but usually can find the Winchester stuff on sale for the same price so that's what I normally shoot.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#4]
As for brand, I usually stick with just about any kind as long as it's Federal. With that said, I kind of like the 124 grain. No reason, just like it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#5]
For target practice, PMC's ammo is superbly accurate and pretty cheap to boot. I have fired probably in the vicinity of 10,000 PMC rounds in 9mm alone with no problems. In all calibers probably something like 25,000 rounds of PMC. It is good stuff.

American Eagle (federal) is good ammo too. Winchester white box is OK but it seems to shoot dirtier than PMC ammo.

For defense, I use Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P ammo. Excellent rounds and they pack just the kind of punch that the 9mm needs.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Walmart 100round value packs of winchester
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 12:55:21 AM EDT
[#8]
For practice ammo I feel the Federal American Eagle(never any problems) is pretty good along with PMC.
UMC(good value) would be next on my list followed by Blazers(may cause function problems) and lastly W.W.B.(have had periodic FTF,FTE(stovepipes,inconsistant velocity).
I haven't used the S&B or Fiocchi,but from other discussions it appears they would rank much better than the W.W.B. and Blazers and maybe better then the the others as well.
I plan to try some myself and if they are as good as others have said I'm going to buy some in bulk.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 3:22:31 AM EDT
[#9]
My P228 has eaten everything I have put through it without a hiccup.  The cheapest stuff I have used and have used alot lately is the CCI(?) Blazers.  The aluminum cased ammo.  I have never had a problem in my P228, P220ST, or my P2340.  I just installed some new Wolff springs and as soon as mother nature turns down the damn thermostat,  I will make a day of testing them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Walmart 100round value packs of winchester

Have 4 of them in an ammo can that I take to the range...also 2 100 round .45 ACP boxes. Winchester value packs rule in the handgun world for me.

Edited to add: Nice choice with the P228, that's what the 9mm is for.(45 is for G30)
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:10:23 PM EDT
[#12]
i usually shoot the winchester white box 100 packs from walmart in my p226.

once in a while i will throw some 124gr +P gold dots down range. contra Troy, i didn't notice much extra blast/flash/recoil. it did feel a bit more crisp, and, actually, i really like that little extra snappiness. but perhaps you would notice more in a lighter p228.

this might be of interest for defense loads:
firearmstactical.com/briefs9.htm

Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
For full-powered, relatively inexpensive FMJ practice ammo, try:

Speer Lawman
Fiocchi
Federal or Winchester M882 (NATO 9mm loading)

-Troy

What are the specifications for M882 and where can I buy some?

Thank you everyone for the input.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 12:50:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It's 124gr FMJ 9mm +P, fully sealed and with a crimped primer.  Both Winchester and Federal have made it in the last couple of years.  Not sure off the top of my head where to pick it up, as it comes available in cycles.

-Troy

Thanks, Troy.  With some help from the folks over at www.sigforum.com I was able to find some Federal M882 at www.natchezss.com - 1000 rounds shipped for $168.00
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top