Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2008 1:32:36 PM EDT
im absolutely stuck between a sig p229 and a USP, both in .40 s&w. anyone have pro/cons for the two? im leaning toward the sig because it seems more robust but im still not sure.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 1:48:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Well do you want DA/SA with a decocker or the option to carry cocked and locked, but also with a decocker?
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#2]
hmm im not sure. im used to shooting the m9, and that has a decocker doesnt it? where you put the safety on and the hammer goes forward?
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
hmm im not sure. im used to shooting the m9, and that has a decocker doesnt it? where you put the safety on and the hammer goes forward?

Yep.

The Sig has a decocker only, no safety.

The HK has (depending on the version) a decocker AND a safety, however unlike the M9 they are independent of one another and the safety can be on with the hammer cocked, or you can put the safety on with the hammer down.

Why not go with the M9 if you are familiar with it?

And why choose .40?
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

And why choose .40?

well im not USED to shooting it, i just shoot it on the pistol range annually at work.

.40 just seemed like a good choice as a half way between .45 and 9mm.

so the sig doesnt have a safety? so does that mean when you decock it there is no safety? you can still pull the trigger and it will push the hammer back and fire?
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And why choose .40?

well im not USED to shooting it, i just shoot it on the pistol range annually at work.

.40 just seemed like a good choice as a half way between .45 and 9mm.

so the sig doesnt have a safety? so does that mean when you decock it there is no safety? you can still pull the trigger and it will push the hammer back and fire?

Yes, when you decock it you can still pull the trigger and it will go bang. You do have the longer double action trigger pull.

9mm offers slightly higher capacity and significantly lower ammunition costs.

If you want something with a safety, look at the HK USP, CZ-75, Beretta/Stoeger Cougar, M9, Ruger SR9, Browning Hi-Power, a 1911 style handgun...
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 3:34:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#8]
im a bit surprised at that since so many law enforcement agencies use the sig. i wouldve thought theyd want safeties on their weapons. its making me double think it but it must not be that big of a crutch since so many people use them. ive been reading up on the USP and alot of people say its not too ergonomic.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
im a bit surprised at that since so many law enforcement agencies use the sig. i wouldve thought theyd want safeties on their weapons. its making me double think it but it must not be that big of a crutch since so many people use them. ive been reading up on the USP and alot of people say its not too ergonomic.

Safety is more of a training issue than a mechanical/weapon issue, though the weapon's safety mechanisms are important.

I don't think the USP is that bad ergo-wise, but some do.

I have Sigs and they are good guns.

I recommend that you rent some handguns at a local range and find out what you like and do not like. Also if you politely ask other shooters, they will probably let you shoot their handguns. Offer to provide the ammo (factory ammo in factory box, preferably).
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#10]
The SIG DAK is a double action, as noted, but has a short trigger reset function after the first shot. Trigger will reset for subsequent shots at less than full reset travel, or you can allow it to make the full return. Once you get used to it, this is a pretty nice feature
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 5:59:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Had both, still have the 229 (though it's more or less a safe duchess).

The hugeness of the USP weighs against its Variant 1 operating system.  If I could get the Variant 1 action on the SIG, it'd be the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 6:03:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Either pistol is going to be hella tough, and unless you shoot competavely, you're not going to wear either out.

Which fits you better? Fit is very important when it comes to handguns.

That said, my wife and I own 3 Sigs, all of them because of the way they fit. She loves her Euro P220's feel and pointability, but has a P226 for practical use. My P6 fits my hand very well and was too cheap to pass up.

Link Posted: 3/3/2008 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Go hold each and try the trigger, that will tell you which one to get. Both are good guns, I prefer the H&K USP 40. Is fits my hand and can be carried lock and cocked like a 1911, which Iam used to shooting.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't have either. However, I have the 229 in 357SIG and the 226 in 40 and 357SIG (so close enough).  I have the USP in 9mm and .45.  I prefer the USP45 over my 220 or 220ST.  I prefer the 226 9mm (stamped style) over the USP9. The 226 and 229 are pretty much equal in my book so it just depends on what purpose you buy for.  I have shot the USP40 and believe that I prefer the 226 .40 which probably translates into a vote for the 229.
If you can follow that logic, maybe this post will help.  I use Hogue rubber grips on all my SIGs, but I took the Hogue slip-ons off the USPs since the grips were a little to big with them on.  Just as others have said, make sure you at least handle them both to see what fits.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#15]
If you're looking at new firearms, the HK would probably serve you better.

They have much better quality control over recently built sigs.

The finish is also much tougher.

Sig is a good weapon, but I much prefer HK for a multitude of reasons.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#16]
SIG, no safety.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Since this is ARFCOM...

Buy both.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#18]
SIG.  The USP is too big and clunky.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#19]
i just got a226 elite in 9mm and i love it.. i tried the usp's and couldn't even reach the slide release with my thumb.. i like the controls of the sig way better
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#20]
HK USP

Cocked and Locked, baby.

Link Posted: 3/3/2008 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
HK USP

Cocked and Locked, baby.

+1, I own a USP9C and a USP45 and regularly CCW with them (most often with the smaller USP9C).  Either way, I nearly always carry my H&K's in condition-1, no heavy/long DA pull for me!
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 9:12:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
HK USP

Cocked and Locked, baby.

+1 the USP is a great gun.  I own both and like the USP much better.  Condition 1 carry and better built IMO.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 9:28:50 AM EDT
[#23]
you might also look at the HK p2000 as well as the new P30.   for some they have ergonomic advantages versus the USP (did for me).  neither has a manual safety though like the USP if that is a feature you desire (but neither does sig, glock etc)
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#24]
I own both and both are top quality. I prefer the Sig 229. Accuracy is the same, both are extreemly good. Reliability...the Sig will eat any and all ammo I feed it. My USP will have malfunctions using certian ammo. Here is a picture of my 229 in a CCW paddle holster:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top