Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2003 10:59:29 AM EDT
I just picked up a new S&W Performance center model 629 stealth hunter .44 mag. Would like some suggestions on scope selection for hunting purposes with this gun. Never had a scoped revolver before. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 12:28:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Bushnell 2x6 variable scope mounted on a Ruger Super Redhawk .44mag that I use for deer and black bear (taken several deer....no bear as of yet) and find it to be a very nice scope. I've had it on there for over ten years and its still going strong. No problems.

A 2x6 is nice.......though for the most part its set on 3x. About the only time it will get cranked up to 6x is at the range or when I'm scoping a deer and in a seated/supported position.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Leupold makes a nice handgun scope. But they ain't cheap!

I'd check Shotgun News for scope dealer ads & see what fit your budget best & match that with quality as much as possible.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the Leupold too. Cost is not really an issue as I'm not going to put a cheap scope on a quality and expensive handgun. I'm told Burris makes a quality handgun scope but have never looked through one. Not looking for alot of magnification but I,m leaning towards one with a good size objective.
Steve, that Bushnell 2x-6x-is that the Elite 3200 series?
Thanks guys!  
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 7:05:02 AM EDT
[#4]
JD Jones also recommends the Bushnell 2-6x on his hand cannons......I have a Simmons Gold Medal 2.5-7x(discontinued) on my 375 JDJ, and a Leupold 2x on my Taurus Raging Bull 454 casull..a T/C 2-7x on my contender 44 mag....
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for the Bushnell 2x6.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:33:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I picked up a weaver 4X over a year or so ago.  I ran for around 150 or so.  I love it.  The weak point is the mounting system on my blackhawk.  As for the scope, not a complaint in the world.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 7:00:16 AM EDT
[#7]
i am going to break with the herd and recommend a Aimpoint ML2 or any other quality red dot product.  because of unlimited eye relief, its easy to pick up the dot on moving game.  with a powered scope you have to put your eye in exactly the right spot in order to even see the target.  out to 50-100 yds i don't think you can beat a red dot.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:12:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Guys, thanks for all the info! I'm going to check out a red dot and see what they are like, but will probably go with a fixed 2X. Don't think the higher magnifications would be necessary in the type of terrain I hunt in.
Have a good one!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#9]
In a 2x scope you can't beat the Leupold extended eye relief pistol scope.  Have one on a Ruger Blackhawk .41 Magnum that was my Dad's.  I bought the scope for him as a Christmas present 20 years ago and it is still as clear and sharp as the day we mounted it.  Used it to kill a 6 point buck in his honor two years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top