Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2003 8:23:11 AM EDT
i'm about ready to pick up a set of night sights for a usp .40. have seen several color combinations and am wondering if there are some better than others. another concern might be how the sights appear when using colored headlamp light at night....red, green, etc. thoguhts?

also, is it possible to diy install on these with a punch or something. it looks as if they'd just tap out. what advantage it there for a smith to do it?

thanks..
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I find the green are the easiest for my eyes to pick up.

Depending on the gun you can very well do a self install. The majority of the smiths just install the sights, they do not go out and sight them in for you. Basicly your paying them because they have the tools (sight drifter and front sight tool).

I have the Dawson Precision sights and they come with everythng you need to install them. It has both a front sight tool and metal punch. Do not use the metal punch it will mar your sight. I went to home depo and bought a 1/2"x1/2" piece of wood moulding. then I cut it down into a block. Place the slide in a vice and tapped the new sight in. You may need to file the bottom of the sight a little to get it to fit. They come oversized. The trick is that it can't be so big that you have to exert a lot of pressure to get it in, or file it too small where it does not pressure fit to the slide.

I like the dawsons for competition or home defense guns. They are bigger and adjustable, but might be too big for carry. For carry I like the race cut hennie's but they are not adjustable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top