Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2003 4:50:05 PM EDT
Does UPS still ship handguns overnight or am I stuck with Fedex?  UPS website was not too helpful with this
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, but their theft rate is terrible. Go FedEx.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Fed Ex rules! Now, this may not be their official policy, but where I live, they told me I can ship handguns 2-3 day air. Ive done it several times and will be doing it again this week. Costs about $13 insured rather than $30 for overnight.
I hate UPS.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 7:24:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Does UPS still ship handguns overnight or am I stuck with Fedex?  UPS website was not too helpful with this

Yes on UPS but it must go Next Day Air or Next Day Air Saver (much cheaper).  Also must be shipped to a FFL and shipper must be on file with UPS for shipping firearms and packages containing firearms much be presented to a UPS customer counter not a drop box or other UPS drop off location.  Really its easier to take your firearm to your local gunshop and ask them to ship it for you.  I don't like there regs either and I work there.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Yes on UPS but it must go Next Day Air or Next Day Air Saver (much cheaper).

Declare it as machine parts and ship it at any rate YOU choose.

Also must be shipped to a FFL and shipper must be on file with UPS for shipping firearms and packages containing firearms much be presented to a UPS customer counter not a drop box or other UPS drop off location.

TOTALLY UNTRUE. The shipper and receiver DO NOT have to be "on file" with anyone.

Really its easier to take your firearm to your local gunshop and ask them to ship it for you.

TOTALLY UNTRUE AND BAD ADVICE TO BOOT. Sending a firearm out for work, customization, etc., is YOUR deal. Add someone else into the mix and YOUR deal has a good chance of getting screwed up, not to mention the added hassle factor and wasted money. Shipping a firearm isn't rocket science.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 11:12:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Declare it as machine parts and ship it at any rate YOU choose.

Good way to NOT have UPS pay for it if its lost, damaged etc.  A firearm must be declared per US Laws.  You don't honestly think that if it comes up missing and you weren't honest about what was in the package that they'll pay for it do you?

TOTALLY UNTRUE. The shipper and receiver DO NOT have to be "on file" with anyone.

See red text below.

This is from the UPS website:
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/service/terms/firearms.html
Transportation of Firearms
Shipping Firearms Including Handguns
Customers must observe the following procedures to ship firearms (including handguns) via UPS:

* UPS accepts firearm shipments from UPS daily pickup accounts and through UPS Customer Counters. UPS daily pickup accounts can also ship firearms, not including handguns, through UPS Internet Shipping, On-Call PickupSM, and One-Time Pickup. Firearms are not accepted for shipment via UPS Letter Centers, UPS SonicAir BestFlightSM service, or international service. Firearms will not be accepted when presented for shipment at a UPS Authorized Shipping Outlet or a UPS Commercial Counter.
   * UPS accepts handgun shipments from UPS daily pickup accounts and through UPS Customer Counters. Handguns are not accepted for shipment via UPS Letter Centers, UPS SonicAir BestFlight service, UPS Internet Shipping, UPS On-Call Pickup, UPS One-Time Pickup, or international service. Handguns will not be accepted when presented for shipment at a UPS Authorized Shipping Outlet or a UPS Commercial Counter.
   * Firearm shippers shipping through a UPS Customer Counter must have a letter on record with UPS stating their status as an authorized firearm shipper.
   * The shipper must affix a UPS label, requesting an adult signature upon delivery, to each package containing a firearm.
   * Packages containing handguns must be shipped via UPS Next Day Air Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® service.
   * Packages containing handguns must be segregated from other packages being tendered to UPS. Handgun shippers must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Counter clerk of any package containing a handgun.
   * UPS prohibits the inclusion of ammunition in packages containing firearms, including handguns.
   * In locations where a UPS Next Day Air service is not offered, packages containing handguns must be shipped via the most premium domestic air service available.

So if I understand this correctly:
* UPS accepts firearm shipments from UPS daily pickup accounts and through UPS Customer Counters.
then a shipper must have a letter on file. As stated here:
* Firearm shippers shipping through a UPS Customer Counter must have a letter on record with UPS stating their status as an authorized firearm shipper.

I've been package deliver driver for them over 3 years and I think I've got a pretty good idea how things need to be shipped.  I don't agree with they way they handle firearms shipments either.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Good way to NOT have UPS pay for it if its lost, damaged etc. A firearm must be declared per US Laws. You don't honestly think that if it comes up missing and you weren't honest about what was in the package that they'll pay for it do you?

AGAIN, TOTALLY UNTRUE. Federal law only requires notification if the firearm is being shipped to a NON-LICENSEE. And no, UPS won't refuse to pay an insurance claim.

I've been package deliver driver for them over 3 years and I think I've got a pretty good idea how things need to be shipped. I don't agree with they way they handle firearms shipments either.

Then you need to know the difference between a CUSTOMER counter and UPS CENTER. NO ONE IS REQUIRED TO FILE ANYTHING TO SHIP OR RECEIVE ANY FIREARMS AT A UPS CENTER. You might be a driver, but you're completely wrong in your "interpretation" of their regulations.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Good way to NOT have UPS pay for it if its lost, damaged etc. A firearm must be declared per US Laws. You don't honestly think that if it comes up missing and you weren't honest about what was in the package that they'll pay for it do you?

AGAIN, TOTALLY UNTRUE. Federal law only requires notification if the firearm is being shipped to a NON-LICENSEE. And no, UPS won't refuse to pay an insurance claim.

Then you need to know the difference between a CUSTOMER counter and UPS CENTER. NO ONE IS REQUIRED TO FILE ANYTHING TO SHIP OR RECEIVE ANY FIREARMS AT A UPS CENTER. You might be a driver, but you're completely wrong in your "interpretation" of their regulations.

Customer counter is at a UPS bldg, like the one I work from, UPS OWNS IT.  Any other drop off location (i.e. The UPS Store, Parcel Plus etc) are not locations that you can ship a handgun from, if you need anymore help there is always 1-800-PICK-UPS since you apparently cannot understand :

* UPS accepts firearm shipments from UPS daily pickup accounts and through UPS Customer Counters.

Link Posted: 8/3/2003 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Customer counter is at a UPS bldg, like the one I work from, UPS OWNS IT. Any other drop off location (i.e. The UPS Store, Parcel Plus etc) are not locations that you can ship a handgun from, if you need anymore help there is always 1-800-PICK-UPS since you apparently cannot understand :

I understand just fine and you're wrong. The circumstances you describe apply to a Customer Counter ONLY. You need to understand that due to UPS employees like you, my business goes elsewhere. Too many self-important nitwits trying to impose their will on everyone.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm no self-important nitwit, I was just showing the regs.  To lower yourself to name calling is immature.  If I told you the sky was blue you would argue with me.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Self-important nitwits sounds like it would fall under NO. 3 under the Code of Conduct.  I fail to see how a UPS driver quoting the UPS regulations is incorrect.

3.) Sharing of differing opinions is encouraged. However, threads that degenerate into pointless arguments, personal attacks or threats against anyone will be locked and further action may be taken. If you have a problem with someone, then take it offline with them. If it's with a member of the Staff or a Moderator, then contact someone from the Senior Staff. Attacking a person, in a non-joking manner will not be tolerated (If you are “joking”, make sure that point is VERY clear).
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#11]

I'm no self-important nitwit, I was just showing the regs. To lower yourself to name calling is immature. If I told you the sky was blue you would argue with me.

First off, I was not calling you names, so get over it.

Second, you were incorrect with your statement concerning legal requirements. We've been over that point many, many, many times on this board.

Third, you described shipping firearms via a UPS Customer Counter. HINT: THERE ARE OTHER WAYS TO SHIP FIREARMS WITHIN UPS.

Fourth, you just gave out some BAD advice that will cost someone money.

I have been told by UPS employees that:
  • It is illegal to ship firearms
  • Only dealers may ship firearms
  • All firearms must be shipped overnight
  • UPS doesn't ship firearms

Each and every time I have had to argue and raise hell to get those stupid bastards to do their jobs. Go USPS and Federal Express. Twice as fast with half the bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#12]

I fail to see how a UPS driver quoting the UPS regulations is incorrect.

Uh, he posted that shipping via a UPS Customer Counter was the only authorized means to ship firearms when the very regulations he quoted contradicted this.

Self-important nitwits sounds like it would fall under NO. 3 under the Code of Conduct.

Ever heard of minding your own business?
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#13]
It is an open forum.  There's no reason to "mind your own business."  What is the source for your information on what UPS will and will not do?  
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#14]

It is an open forum. There's no reason to "mind your own business."

If you're not going to contribute to the topic discussed, then yeah, you need to mind your own business.

What is the source for your information on what UPS will and will not do?

Uh, UPS. Until they permanently planted their heads in their asses, they were my shipper of choice. I ship and receive a fairly large number of firearms every year, so it's incumbent upon me to know these regulations.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

xray, I would take SocomCen's advice.  They do ship them overnight with UPS Next Day Air or Next Day Air Saver.  There is no reason to take a chance that if your package is lost, UPS will not pay the insurance claim because it wasn't identified and shipped as firearms are required to be shipped by UPS.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Jim Dandy, I have noticed that depending on where you live, UPS will give different advice about shipment of firearms. When I lived in CA, I was told what you were told. Firearms could only be sent FFL to FFL.
Now, I moved to a gun friendly state. UPS there has taken my firearms without any problems. They still require overnight shipping for a handgun, so I went with Fed Ex. What SoCom is stating is correct Official Policy, but it really depends on where you live.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes on UPS but it must go Next Day Air or Next Day Air Saver (much cheaper).  Also must be shipped to a FFL and shipper must be on file with UPS for shipping firearms and packages containing firearms much be presented to a UPS customer counter not a drop box or other UPS drop off location.  Really its easier to take your firearm to your local gunshop and ask them to ship it for you.  I don't like there regs either and I work there.

I HAVE NEVER SEEN SO MUCH MISINFORMED FOLKS IN 1 THREAD...

Bet ETH can square this CRAP for ya'll if you ask nice.

ps, I have the UPS guy pick up and deliver my handguns regularly,overnite supersaverI NEVER have my dealer send it for me...usually they want a fee...

I UPS over
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Sound like "machine parts" won't cut it. This is why UPS wants the FFL from either the shipper or consignee.

Do you actually READ the things you post?

(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped

Take a minute and let it sink in. IT SAYS NOTIFICATION IS ONLY REQUIRED IF SHIPPING TO SOMEONE OTHER THAN A LICENSEE.

UPS will not pay the insurance claim because it wasn't identified and shipped as firearms are required to be shipped by UPS.

TOTALLY UNTRUE.

Jim Dandy, I have noticed that depending on where you live, UPS will give different advice about shipment of firearms. When I lived in CA, I was told what you were told. Firearms could only be sent FFL to FFL.
Now, I moved to a gun friendly state. UPS there has taken my firearms without any problems. They still require overnight shipping for a handgun, so I went with Fed Ex. What SoCom is stating is correct Official Policy, but it really depends on where you live.

Untrue, what you have is uninformed, self-important UPS employees. It is legal in ALL 50 states to ship firearms to FFL holders. PERIOD.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Do you actually READ the things you post?

Yes, do you?  So basically what you are saying is that you can violate the UPS shipping regs and they'll pay a claim you make when you didn't inform them of what you were shipping?  So do you regularly violate these regs, are you shipping HAZMATS and not claiming them either?

www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/service/terms/firearms.html
* UPS accepts firearm shipments from UPS daily pickup accounts and through UPS Customer Counters. UPS daily pickup accounts can also ship firearms, not including handguns, through UPS Internet Shipping, On-Call PickupSM, and One-Time Pickup. Firearms are not accepted for shipment via UPS Letter Centers, UPS SonicAir BestFlightSM service, or international service. Firearms will not be accepted when presented for shipment at a UPS Authorized Shipping Outlet or a UPS Commercial Counter.
* UPS accepts handgun shipments from UPS daily pickup accounts and through UPS Customer Counters. Handguns are not accepted for shipment via UPS Letter Centers, UPS SonicAir BestFlight service, UPS Internet Shipping, UPS On-Call Pickup, UPS One-Time Pickup, or international service. Handguns will not be accepted when presented for shipment at a UPS Authorized Shipping Outlet or a UPS Commercial Counter.

So if xray isn't a daily pick up account then what other way is he going to ship following UPS regs?  According to the regs if he isn't a daily pick up account he must present the package at a UPS customer counter and tell the clerk what he is shipping and have a letter of file that he is a firearms shipper.  

I see insurance claims that are rejected on a daily basis so yes they do refuse to pay sometimes.  One lately was a guy a lamp in a box that looked like it had been used about 5 times, he didn't pad it at all and wondered why it was broken, no claim paid.

I'm done here.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#20]

So basically what you are saying is that you can violate the UPS shipping regs and they'll pay a claim you make when you didn't inform them of what you were shipping? So do you regularly violate these regs, are you shipping HAZMATS and not claiming them either?

Your self-important side is showing. Little tip: UPS REGULATIONS ARE NOT THE LAW. I have yet to see UPS arrest and charge people. Perhaps in another dimension, but here in the real world, they're just another shithead private company.

I'm done here.

That's good. No one should have to wade their way through anymore bogus BS.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 9:10:13 PM EDT
[#21]
How about this:

If anyone wants to ship their firearms, they can do it for cost + 10% on MY UPS ACCOUNT.

Hey, it worked for gun dealers. The offer is open.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 5:29:46 AM EDT
[#22]

How about this:

If anyone wants to ship their firearms, they can do it for cost + 10% on MY UPS ACCOUNT.

Hey, it worked for gun dealers. The offer is open.

That is a good deal. Would we need to be in your vicinity to take advantage?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top